Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Trust Newsletter archive / Re: NEWS LETTER
« Last post by sickbag_andy on February 15, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
fascinating, I hadn't seen that before. It does look massive.

The Vulcan on the ground is almost lost in all that space BUT where is the 2nd one hanging from the roof coming from? Is XM607 finally going to be taken into the warm from Waddington?

And also a DC.3 suspended from the ceiling - I suppose there are a few knocking about though.
« Last post by Fonseca on February 13, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
Thanks Sam, that helps and hopefully removes some confusion. And "Bingo!" I've now found it.

http://www.guytaylorassociates.co.uk/projects/etna-centre.html

The line drawing at the bottom. For orientation the "interim" hangar would be linked to the stub of taxiway to the left of 558...

(Thanks Andy!)
« Last post by Sad Sam on February 13, 2017, 10:09:54 PM »
That is the site I was told was earmarked for ETNA.

What the satellite does not show is how uneven it is!  Most land around airfield is pretty flat (Sutton Bank and Nympsfield being two obvious exceptions) but that field looks like a motocross course.

There will be a lot of work required to build Roberts dream.
« Last post by Fonseca on February 13, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
I've borrowed Andy's artwork (hope that's ok?) to show (orange) what I thought was the land proposed for the Etna site in relation to the site of the interim hangar (yellow). Cannot find anything definitive in print but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere! Also that as stated elsewhere it currently appears to be outside the airfield boundary...

« Last post by PaulH2015 on February 13, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
Again, Hanger 1 is RENT FREE until the end of April (18/1/2017).  Unless it's going to be towed out to somewhere else equally rent-free (which hasn't been mentioned), or left outside rent-free (which has been discounted), then I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that Hanger 1 will continue to be available - at a rental - until the new/interim hanger is available in early 2018.  I do agree that this is one of the many missing bits of info, amongst the rest that has only been drip-fed over the past month.

Dr Pleming has also said that there will be no more pleas for cash during 2017, presumably because they need the funding for Hanger 1 rent to be in place before the rent-free period expires.  What happens if the £200k ("to secure the Trust and its assets for 2017" 8/2/2017) is not raised/matched by the end of April is another matter.
« Last post by leslie on February 13, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
What happens if the Hangar 1 offer isn't extended is there an option to rent, how much and how would this be funded? If she is evicted for the second time what's the plan, under cover storage? Costs, can the trust meet this?
« Last post by PA28 on February 13, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »

The sketch indeed was in the spirit of the lead article for #TheXH558Story See: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/859/82/TheXH558Story.html but guess those on UKAR have a different agenda.
Nothing good obviously derived from those sketches shown from Roy Chadwick!

Anyway, the outside of the 'interim' building has clearly been shown, and these were the first sketches of the inside (first floor) from conversations with the architect - more to see things are progressing. I'm sure they will get modified again before the final plans. Perhaps when they have created the scaled versions we can show those.

To help on expectations, here is my take...... 

- Storage in Hangar 1 until April - longer if possible.
- INTERIM HANGAR (the one being shown in press release) - 2018 through to whenever...
- 2018 onward: work on securing external funding for a much larger educational /inspirational facility (ETNA) that is then built within a 5-8 year time frame while Trust is still operational in the INTERIM hangar.
- When ETNA is built, move all across and existing lease passed to another airfield operator- or if really successful with grants, INTERIM hangar merged as an annex.

By nature, some might change, but that is certainly how I see the best case scenario.

Hope that clarifies that the interim hangar is not the final version of ETNA, but it can certainly be a stepping stone.

« Last post by PaulH2015 on February 13, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
I am sure when that first appeared you could click on the image and look at the drawings.  There was an overview which showed a lot of the stuff that is in the childs sketch.  When you click on the image now it takes you to the "just giving page"...

Not for me just now.

And I thought it was rather in the spirit of another preliminary sketch ...

If you read the newsletters you will see that Hanger 1 is expected to be used until early 2018, and the new hanger for at least five years.  April is the end of the rent-free period for Hanger 1.

« Last post by leslie on February 13, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
I have no idea now!!! The first impression of the Etna centre was a giant delta shape!!! Whatever they are trying to/are building it isn't going to be ready by April, at best if they start building now, they have plenty a labour and resource it might be open by next April, you could probably get the aircraft undercover by the end if this year.
« Last post by sickbag_andy on February 13, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
I thought that building is the final home, Etna project, Vulcan Academy, home of 163, 558 and the other little one for the Trust, not the temp hangar, I thought the temp hangar was hangar 1 which they have until April. I guessed the next temp hangar would be a marquee of some description, until this on is built.

Thanks Andy great post

Hi Leslie, I took the images from here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/xh558-s-survival.html

about 1/2 way down is a heading: Aircraft to be placed in storage while a new hangar is constructed and below that the images I used, I'm taking that to be the hanger discussed in the wording there:
During that time, the Trust hopes to conclude an agreement to build a new hangar at Doncaster Sheffield Airport, allowing resumption of tours, events, educational visits and engineering activities by the end of 2017. These businesses will then fund the lease of the hangar from the developers until the larger, more ambitious ETNA facility is ready.

Please don't say I've misread it and the images are the final ETNA, I'd seen quite different images for that here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/history/post-flight.html  :-[

Andy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]