Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 51086 times)

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »
I see that the operations manager is back at work - so I think that is now 10 employees for a charitable trust that exists to inspire the next generation of engineers and designers (while not employing a single engineer)

Who would that be Sam ? >:(

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
I see the Swift is now back in hangar three.

I bet the owner is very impressed with the way this has all turned out.

Still at least 2excell have a nice grey green jet to show off to their customers in their shinny new home. >:(
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Trev

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
Hi Sam

Thanks for the update, not what i was hoping to hear so will also be waiting to see
what happens next.
Hope you are well?

Regards Trev

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »
And so it came to pass !!

Mike

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »
 Here's the latest newsletter, she's been kicked out.

Storage arrangements settled while XH558’s New Hangar build project moves forward

Thanks to helpful support from airport management and various 3rd parties, the Trust has now arranged medium-term exterior storage for Vulcan XH558 and Canberra WK163.

XH558 will shortly be outside with canopy, intake, exhaust and tyre covers fitted. Library image by Jamie Ewan

Over the coming weekend, arrangements will be completed to have the aircraft safely stored in a quiet corner of the airfield surrounded by the containers and covers that will protect their ancillary and ground support equipment. All other non-essential items are in storage elsewhere on the airfield or in the warehouse facility attached to our webstore.

Supermarine Swift WK275 on loan to us by the owner as an exhibit has returned under cover to Hangar 3 with the kind support of 2Excel Aviation. Having already had several months of free storage courtesy of the airport, we must state that they continue to be very supportive and have tasked several people to help ensure the transition outdoors goes as smoothly as possible. We thank them most sincerely for their ongoing assistance.

Commenting on the move for the Trust, Robert Pleming stated; “With contractors arriving to start development work on the Cargo handling facilities at Hangar 1 next week, we need to vacate to an exterior storage area that has been prepared over the last few months. We have taken every precaution to safeguard all of the Trust assets during this period while we work towards building the new hangar.

These aircraft were designed to spend most of their operational lives outside, with time spent in a hangar kept to a minimum. We are happy that with the arrangements in place, the projected timescale for completion of the New Hangar and the plan for scheduled periodic ground running of XH558 during the next few months, we will not see any significant deterioration in her current excellent condition.“

Taff Stone, XH558’s crew chief and long serving chief engineer also added: “I’m perfectly happy we can keep XH558 protected in an outdoor environment until such time as she can move into the new hangar. Her non-standard issue gloss paintwork helps! Exploratory work undertaken on Canberra WK163 that exposed bare metal has also been suitably primed and protected, so she is fine too. Having XH558 outside over the coming months is actually easier for our ground handling, since we have several engine runs planned.”

Offline Paramania

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
So it's (it is)good news if crew chief thinks it will be ok.  Probably best chaining her down for the winter make sure the wind or snow don't cause unnecessary problems.  Looking forward to hearing that building is starting.  There is loads of crap about never happening on "Dark Side" - they seem to be in a feeding frenzy (as Sam say).  Makes me lmao.

And it's so active! It make me laaarrfff.

Sorry I did correct English again - Thank
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:33:28 AM by Paramania »

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
Dark Side ????,with two posts under your belt I doubt very much that it makes you an expert on the subject,ask Sam and the dedicated volunteers (not the new batch) what the truth of the matter is !!

Mike

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
Unlike here...

Medium term storage?  What ever happened to "we'll be in the new hangar by the end of 2017 - with tours and events starting in early 2018" (Andrew Edmonson in my redundancy interview)

Safely stored in a quiet corner of the airfield?  That will be the engine running pan (with the Jetstream). For quiet corner read "out of sight, out of mind"

The trusts thanks the airport for their support?  I would think both parties are both wishing they had never met.

"These aircraft were designed to spend most of their lives outside"  Yes Robert, but while they were outside they were in use with power applied almost everyday and flying once in awhile which keeps the air circulating and prevents moisture building up in all the crevices.  558 will be run once in a blue moon and 163 will not run for the foreseeable future.

The good news is that they are not going to cover the aircraft with Tarps a originally planned.  The reason is that when they priced up the tarps they found they could not afford it.  What the hell did they spend £200,000 on?  I have a feeling it was the wages for the remaining staff - which they keep adding to.

Looking forward to hearing that building has started?  It would be nice to hear that the the land has been purchased or maybe planning permission has been made.

This is like watching a car crash in slow motion and it makes me so angry.

I think the management lost interest in this a long time ago and are just hanging on as long as there is money coming in to pay their wages.  For the last six months we were in hangar three we never saw them - they just hid themselves up in their ivory tower office (behind a locked door so that we could not go up and bother them)

I can think of no reason why they are so determined to kill off all of their support the way they treated the club is a disgrace - after the final flight they would not even let Jane and Malcolm into the hangar!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
The whole debacle STINKS!!!! Some should be held accountable for how this has panned out!!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »

This is like watching a car crash in slow motion and it makes me so angry.

Nail hit firmly on the head there Sam.
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:17 PM »
I wonder if the management will ever admit it might have been a better idea to retire her back to brunty  ::)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2017, 12:49:05 AM »
Not likely,  for what it's worth I don't think Brunty was the right place for her either.

I also don't think she should have been retired at all.

A plan was presented to the management but they did not act on it.

I believe that 558 would still be flying if we had pursued a different course of action.

A lot of other stuff  that should have happened never did and I wonder now how serious we were about any of it....

Offline Paramania

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 02:23:24 AM »
Not likely,  for what it's worth I don't think Brunty was the right place for her either.

I also don't think she should have been retired at all.

A plan was presented to the management but they did not act on it.

I believe that 558 would still be flying if we had pursued a different course of action.

A lot of other stuff  that should have happened never did and I wonder now how serious we were about any of it....

I buy you a beer or too to hear that plan Sad Sam.

You must know things. I would want to hear it possibly?

Return me know?

Offline Paramania

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2017, 02:43:33 AM »
Dark Side ????,with two posts under your belt I doubt very much that it makes you an expert on the subject,ask Sam and the dedicated volunteers (not the new batch) what the truth of the matter is !!

Mike
I thank you for you coment Mike,  I am sorry for new, but follow sometime.  I hope not problem.  I as well follow site "UKAR". It and me will laugh out loud. You as well?

I think "Sad Sam", some story to tell - yes?

I no wish to offend, is not welcome here?

Offline smiler

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2017, 07:13:56 AM »
Well its a sad day for me and Jacqui, Vulcan Scrubbers, we were both so proud to have had the Honour to have been all over 558 and to get to know all the wonderful Engineers.. Up on the wings with a bucket and mop scrubbing her wings and making her shine for all the shows she graced.
At least we can say we were both on the last flight..Just a shame the new volunteers or (Jonny come latelys) have decided to remove our beloved Graffiti..

Still whatever..We have the photo's and memories..

Thankyou Sam for giving us the pleasure of cleaning her!!!

Hi Dee

I'm surprised you would think I would allow that bit of art to be removed off the aircraft!

Yes I have had the volunteers who were helping me over the winter maintenance clean the aircraft, however one patch was 'out of bounds'

I had and still do appreciate the work you scrubbers have done over the past and have taken a picture yesterday during the run.

Take care and hope to see you again sometime

Taff  ;D

Unfortunately the upload folder is full so I can't post the picture!!  Admin please can you sort this out or if you would like to pm me Dee with your email I will sent it to you.