Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 55771 times)

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2017, 07:54:31 AM »
Hello Taff!! PM sent and thankyou for keeping our Graffiti, it does mean a lot to me and Jacqui!! xx
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
Hello Taff!! PM sent and thankyou for keeping our Graffiti, it does mean a lot to me and Jacqui!! xx

Ditto what Dee says Taff!!!

Thanks for keeping our little bit of scribble on 558, I can't describe how much it means to my fellow Scrubber and I!!! ;D

We both love and miss the old girl, we had some wonderful times in the hanger and memories that no one can take from us  ;)

And we still can't thank all the engineers enough for making those memories happen  :) :) :)

X x x

Offline Lew

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »
Not been here for a few years, not going to make any comments on the car crash in motion, but what I will do is pay the greatest of respects to all the engineers in the part they played in the history of getting 558 in the air and keeping her there until the trust pulled the plug.

It was great to be apart of the team in a photographic way and learning the ropes before I moved south.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
Not been here for a few years, not going to make any comments on the car crash in motion, but what I will do is pay the greatest of respects to all the engineers in the part they played in the history of getting 558 in the air and keeping her there until the trust pulled the plug.

It was great to be apart of the team in a photographic way and learning the ropes before I moved south.

Hello Lew nice to see you popping in!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Tutorboy

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Hi Sam, if only the Red Steer was still working, they might have seen it coming!!!  8)

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi Sam, if only the Red Steer was still working, they might have seen it coming!!!  8)

PMSL

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
Not likely,  for what it's worth I don't think Brunty was the right place for her either

I noticed this comment Sam and back in 2012 there was a long topic discussing it, I had one or two doubts about Brunty then because of the commercial growth there. It's pretty packed with stored airliners nowadays.

I ran a poll on that thread (I expect some of our remaining visitors conrtibuted votes) and my choice at that time was Yeovilton, these were my reasons:
1: It already has a museum open to the public
2: It has an annual air show which would provide an opportunity for fast taxi runs without extra costs of setting up for a unique event
3: It is in the south west which is totally void of Vulcans at present - the nearest are either Hendon or Wellesbourne so there would be a uniqueness factor missing elsewhere in the country
4: with all the defence cuts there is probably spare hangarage there which could be used to develop the VE3 and get 558 under cover at the lowest cost (i.e. not building something new)
5: not a commercial airport so would not interfere with commercial operations

for me this would be my choice if Bruntingthorpe was ruled out , I think it comes nearer to ticking all the boxes and in some ways the options make it better than Brunty - discuss? I hope so and I hope the powers that be will be taking note of the poll and comments.

the poll was done at a time when the Trust were after feedback and not surprisingly Bruntingthorpe was top but Yeovilton 2nd with over 100 votes cast in total.

here's a link to the topic and poll: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/smf/index.php?topic=4915.0

so where did you feel was right then Sam (reply here or on the poll topic)

- there were some very constructive comments and arguments for all 10 sites on the poll which were picked from a previous topic that had numerous ideas, I did rationalise it down to what seemed to be the most popular and realistic options but I think it was a good reflection of feeling.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:17:08 PM by sickbag_andy »
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »

The most annoying thing was that they knew it was coming about this time last year.

They just chose not to share the information with us low lifes...

I was told in August last year that 2 excell wanted to move into hangar 3 and 558 was going to be evicted.

The management just let us carry on as if nothing would happen - they have the attitude "we are Vulcan to the sky - we can do what we like"

I feel very guilty about the way I let the students and cadets involved in the build a plane project believe they were really going to achieve something.  I even had a meeting with the technical college (along with Andrew Edmondson and Ian Straw) about taking Jack Barrat on as an apprentice.  At the time I could not work out why Andrew and Ian were so reluctant to push the scheme along - I guess they already knew we were finished.

Andy I believed that Doncaster was the right place to retire the jet as I foolishly believed the party line.

Yeovilton would have been a good call but I'm not sure the Navy would have welcomed here with open arms (and I'm prety sure they would not have wanted the trust with all it's baggage)

The pictures I saw on face book yesterday show her not down on the old 101 Sqn dispersal (where people would have been able to see her as their holiday jets taxi past) but properly hidden next to the tanker pool - talk about out of sight, out of mind...
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline arnk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
Cheer up everybody.  Its not 1962.  This will distract you all for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lwyv_RXR_A

Al

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
The pictures I saw on face book yesterday show her not down on the old 101 Sqn dispersal (where people would have been able to see her as their holiday jets taxi past) but properly hidden next to the tanker pool - talk about out of sight, out of mind...

Yes you are correct Sam,I have been over to RHA today and she is hidden away in front of the sewage farm and next to the tanker pool,very difficult to see from anywhere accessible to the public,all the ground equipment is under or around her,the Canberra is to the right of the crash gates in the same area in front of what appears to be a load of scrap cars but hard to see once again,I do have pictures but due to restricted access they are not great and also compounded by the onset of a thunderstorm with torrential rain !

Mike

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »
>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:Disgusted and angry doesnt even come close!!!!!

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
I have been over to RHA today and she is hidden away in front of the sewage farm and next to the tanker pool,very difficult to see from anywhere accessible to the public
Mike

Thanks for the update Mike

I honestly don't know where to start - or express the total disgust, dismay, anger and sadness I'm feeling at the way this is all ending. It's like watching a slow, painful, lingering death.............

So many people put so much into 558 that they should have had a say in where she was retired to and NOT THIS! She should be accessible to ALL!!!!!

What happened to the 'Peoples Plane'? Would the 'People' have dumped her in the middle of a sewerage farm out of sight of all the 'People' who have donated so much money and time during her restoration and flying years? Absolutely disgraceful!!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

On the front page of the VTTS it states 'XH558 ceased flying in October 2015, but that is now the beginning of a new EXCITING chapter in her story' - give me strength!!!!!! In the middle of sewerage farm!!!!!!!

Also it still states 'HONOURING THE PAST, INSPIRING THE FUTURE' - How does that work now? Neither statement is true!!!!!!

And - 'OUR MISSION IS TO INSPIRE THE NEXT GENERATION OF SCIENTISTS, ENGINEERS, DESIGNERS AND AVIATORS'

How can the Trust inspire future engineers when they saw right to get rid of the engineers they had? Why do the Trust need so many paid staff now? What happened to the taxi runs we were told would happen? Why have they let it come to this? Why can't they be straight with us and tell us what's REALLY going on? Plus so many other questions that will never be answered.......

And why have they dumped 558 in the middle of a sh1t farm for pitys sake?  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Rant over for now but very liable to flare up at a moments notice..........
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:35:22 AM by jakspeed »

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Some pictures from yesterday (excuse the poor quality due to access issues and rain)

Happier days !

Sad Times and Memories

Mike

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
There's very little more to do than withdraw any further financial support by cancelling my remaining direct debits & standing orders.

If Sam says there was a plan for keeping 558 flying, it's hard to see after the aircrew's review of the Prestwick undercarriage emergency. But, as when Concorde was axed, were they towing the "party line"?  There is no doubt that the Shoreham crash was a big spanner in the works.  The engineers have been treated like s*"t and not the first time either.  I seem to recall that during the restoration to flight, flipflopman was not a big supporter of the establishment, but please correct me if I'm out of line.

However, a reality check please.....

XM655 at Wellesbourne has been out in all weathers ever since she touched down in February 1984.  Despite years of neglect by the previous owner, MaPS are now doing a very good job of keeping the jet serviceable enough for fast taxi and ground running events.  So there is nothing to stop a similar group of volunteers taking 558 along the same route, other than the "Trustees" whoever they are now and, of course, the owners of RHAD who happen to be Peel Group.  This organisation also has connections with the Bridgwater Canal in the North West and Liverpool Docks.  Any narrowboat owners like myself will know that they have form in restricting pleasure cruising on their waters.

I had the pleasure of "working" with Sam, Ray, Taff et al when 558 was based at Brize.  I enjoyed the brief work in the hangar at Lyneham in a very cold and foggy winter!  I helped on the phone when pledges were needed and organised a fund raising gig with my band.  It wasn't as much as some of you guys out there but I felt I had done something. I couldn't get up to Doncaster to volunteer so have moved on.

We continue to be classed in the mushroom family - in the dark and fed on BS.  Like a bereavement, time will surely heal and we should all look back on the impossible dream that became a reality.  You can't take that away from Dr. Pleming.

Smile because it happened.

Kevin

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
For those interested in the aims of VTTS as published in the Charities Commission official web site have a look at this (in particular the first page)
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/SIR/ENDS48/0001101948_SIR_20121031_E.PDF

Mike

Another "Kind Of Magic"