FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »

The thing is, while I was there I tried to keep as many of the supporters as possible informed.  No the information is for the clique only...

and you made a very good job of it Sam, many thanks
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »
Anything more on this issue Sam ?

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »
The latest I have heard is that all three aircraft will be moved outside at the end of the month....

There is a plan to cover them up with tarpaulins - I can think of no reason to do this other than to try and hide the fact that they are outside.  It certainly will not give them any protection from the weather and judging by the state of the VC 10's when they left Abingdon will only serve to promote the corrosion and degradation.

It seems there is a problem with the planning permission for the land for the new hangar so Iguess they won't be moving in by the end of 2017.

I have heard that there was another secret engine run last week.

I have also heard that 558 has been dinked and is need of some paint repair - if the paint needs to be repaired what has happened to the structure?

It's all looking very like the group that "took over" the Shackleton at Coventry, they then spent all of the money which had been donated having fun trying carrying out runs to train up people who had never been near an aircraft in their lives.

I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
I shouldn't think that the owner of the "Swift" will be very happy with this outcome,I doubt he/she signed up for this when the aircraft was placed on long term loan to the Trust,you are correct about the tarpaulins,they will keep moisture in rather than keep it out ! better to not fit it at all !

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
 >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 01:43:40 PM »
we all know that the canopy on 558 leaks, Martin always took a towel with him when he flew, have we got a cover for the canopy like 655?. if not lets get one. :-[

Offline Tutorboy

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
Just for the record we flew with small towels not because it was ever wet but because it was often extremely hot!

Bill

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 05:21:41 PM »
The canopy does not leak if the canopy seal is inflated.  The problem with that is you need a a Nitrogen trolley to recharge the system.  The trolley was empty last time I looked and since the trust does not seem too keen to spend any money I wonder if they have been back to the supplier to get refilled bottles.

There is a canopy cover for 558 and also a full set of covers for 163 so I wonder why they are even thinking about shrouding the jets in tarpaulins (unless it is to disguise the fact that they have been dumped outside.)

Offline 558_sam

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 02:11:58 PM »

I have also heard that 558 has been dinked and is need of some paint repair - if the paint needs to be repaired what has happened to the structure?

Just wondering where you have heard this from Sam. I haven't seen anything else relating to it.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
The latest I have heard is that all three aircraft will be moved outside at the end of the month....

There is a plan to cover them up with tarpaulins - I can think of no reason to do this other than to try and hide the fact that they are outside.  It certainly will not give them any protection from the weather and judging by the state of the VC 10's when they left Abingdon will only serve to promote the corrosion and degradation.

It seems there is a problem with the planning permission for the land for the new hangar so Iguess they won't be moving in by the end of 2017.

I have heard that there was another secret engine run last week.

It's all looking very like the group that "took over" the Shackleton at Coventry, they then spent all of the money which had been donated having fun trying carrying out runs to train up people who had never been near an aircraft in their lives.

Sam - are you aware that this (and other posts of your's) are being copied and pasted on UKARSE verbatim, this is quoted in full on page 223 of their Vulcan topic by their most un-charming aggressive poster of them all (Dano'Hating if you weren't aware) followed of course by his usual standard of vitriol in reply. There are other smaller quotes elsewhere too, I do hope (but doubt) they have asked your permission to reproduce your statements!

Even by their standards it had become most aggressive and un-savoury on there in the last few days, quite surprised when I looked this morning, hopefully RIAT will prove a temporary distraction over the next day or two for those of them who are above school age although the way they behave I doubt it!

It does make me wonder whether this topic should be moved into a more private section of the forum?
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »
Yes I know that they are reading and quoting the comments.

I do look at that forum (and have done for the last six or seven years)  I don't post as the trust frowned upon us (the groundcrew) posting anything on the internet.  They do love to hate us (bit strange for a group of "aviation enthusiasts") but that thread is now over 200 pages - and that is version 3 or 4!

I am quite interested in the comments by one of the posters "Neverfuel" who claims to only have a passing interest in 558 but can somehow name nearly all of the remaining members of staff.  He seems to think that as I was paid to work on 558 I should now be going back every spare moment I have to look after her for nothing.

Leave the thread where it is - hardly anyone comes on here now anyway....

Offline Paramania

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
I'm enjoying the squabble - usual arguments, if I could be bothered to read all of them I would probably have even more fun ;D

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 12:50:48 AM »
So the trust have finally got around to employing a proper painter to restore the surface finish on the port side of the Canberra - well they have let him prime it (the only problem is that primer is porous and will absorb the moisture) no idea why they did not let him apply the top coat.  Not that it matters as that skin has a non-standard repair and will need to be replaced - I had written a scheme for that, I wonder if any of the management bothered to keep a copy?

I understand the dink on 558 is to the Red Steer radome nice bit of plastic repair putty and all will be ok....

Seems like the new crowd of volunteers have seen fit to remove Jacqui and Dee's signatures from the skin behind the dog - so long, thanks for all the fish (don't let the door slam you on the arse when you leave)  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

No more news on the new hangar (tarpaulin)  I wonder when the trust will tell their supporters that the jets are going outside for the foreseeable future?

I see that the operations manager is back at work - so I think that is now 10 employees for a charitable trust that exists to inspire the next generation of engineers and designers (while not employing a single engineer)

The hangar looks a lot more empty than it was in February I wonder where all the stuff that had been donated over the years has gone (probably not all into one shipping container and a curtainside trailer.)

Maybe it's time for someone to contact the heritage lottery fund to see what they think of the return on their "investment" now?

And if any one from URARSE reads this - no, I do not post on your forum under any name.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Well its a sad day for me and Jacqui, Vulcan Scrubbers, we were both so proud to have had the Honour to have been all over 558 and to get to know all the wonderful Engineers.. Up on the wings with a bucket and mop scrubbing her wings and making her shine for all the shows she graced.
At least we can say we were both on the last flight..Just a shame the new volunteers or (Jonny come latelys) have decided to remove our beloved Graffiti..

Still whatever..We have the photo's and memories..

Thankyou Sam for giving us the pleasure of cleaning her!!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
All daja vu to me - I felt the same when the VDF names were removed from the nose wheel door years ago.

Things move on - new people get involved, older items get consigned to the bin. Shame but it happens.