FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: Douglas C54 Skymaster at North Weald  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas DC4 at North Weald
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 11:30:20 PM »
Evening all.

We have now launched a "just giving page" to save the Skymaster.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/save-the-skymaster?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Yimbyprojectpage&utm_campaign=projectpage-share-owner&utm_term=XNYE5gVJ8

The target is £65,000 which will allow us to buy the aircraft from the current owners.  There will then be further appeals to raise the funds to restore her to flight.  If you donate and we don't raise the target funds there is a facility to refund and money donated.

Have a look at Facebook page to see some of the history (also a chance to see some of the work that will be involved)  I posted some pictures of the corrosion on the spar caps and within hours I have three guys telling me the work could not be done...

https://www.facebook.com/savetheskymaster/?pnref=story

All good fun.
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
Donated, Good luck!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
Thank you Dee.

Some other familiar names on there now.

We have raised £160 so far, long way to go yet but from little acorns...

I had a long chat with Allan Vogel this afternoon and he has had some more good news with regard to the avionics which he will be telling the world about soon  ;D

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
Hey Sam, is there any other way to donate as I'm starting to get a bit peeved about how much JustGiving have made from my donations over the many years that I've given to various charidees.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »
I shall ask the question.

You could contact Allan Vogel directly, his contact e-mail is on the "save the skymaster" facebook page.

I think from the fundraisers point of view the "Just giving" site is very easy to set up - I know it took only a few hours for it to go live after I was told it was happening.

I have never given a thought to "Just Giving" making money from donations but I guess they must do as I'm sure they are not a charity.

You could always send it to me directly - my bank account account details are .....  ;)

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 02:36:26 PM »
You could always send it to me directly - my bank account account details are .....  ;)
Cheers Sam, Just Giving do make money out of fundraising which I'd never given a thought to until I heard it mentioned from a pledge that made a ridiculous amount of money and someone queried how much of that would go to them...from their website -

"JustGiving takes a 5% fee from each donation made through the site (which we take from the Gift Aid we reclaim). In return we help people raise more money, more efficiently. By leaving the costly and time-consuming stuff to us, charities can spend more time, energy and money on doing good."

So not a great deal, but it all adds up I guess.

I will send money direct to you once Kofi Annan has finished depositing the $3.5 million dollars to my account that he promised towards the end of next year, I'm sure it should have arrived by now...  :P

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
No worries, I will await your deposit with interest (which I will then charge back to Koffi  ;))

I have spoken to Allan today and he will be setting up a ring fenced account so that funds can be directly deposited to support the restoration.

If the project does not happen we will be able to return the funds to the originator.

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 06:59:37 PM »
The BT fundraising page doesn't make any charges I believe. They are a business they have to keep going some how

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
Justgiving do charge quite heavily but on the plus side if it's a charity then they can accept gift aid easily without much hassle for the page owner. Agree that otherwise it is better to avoid their charges.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas Skymaster at North Weald
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 12:07:13 AM »
Some big news coming along soon with the Skymaster so worth keeping an eye on the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/savetheskymaster/?pnref=story

We have heard back from the Smithsonian who have sent a copy of the aircraft's allocation records.  While it is disappointing that she is not a veteran of the airlift she does have a connection as she was part of Navy Squadron VR6 in 1946.  She has certainly made a contribution to Americas War efforts in the 20th century being involved in WW2, Korea and Vietnam!

Some great pictures being posted on the facebook page which make you realise what the guys went through back in the day.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas C54 Skymaster at North Weald
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »
The news has been announced today that the owner of Douglas C54Q Skymaster registration N44914 (United States Bua No.56498) has gifted the aircraft to the group that intends to return the aircraft to the air. 

The week after Vulcan to the Sky trust told me my services were no longer required I took a phone call asking me to go to North Weald to look at the DC4 which was parked there.  After a brief bit of research on the net I went down to London to have a look at the aircraft and meet the potential new owners.

Despite a lot of gloom and doom which had been written on various internet forums (including the inevitable experts on UKARSE) I found the aircraft to be in quite reasonable condition and well within a repairable standard.

I wrote a report for the potential client but sadly they were unable to go ahead with the project.  There were a few other people interested in the aircraft but I had a think about and came to the conclusion that it would be quite nice t have a flying class room in the UK and Europe which would give people an insight into what the airlift actually involved, we are quite used now to disaster relief operations with planes flying hundreds of tons of supplies in at short notice.  Berlin was the start of all that but carried out with very inferior equipment.

Although 498 was not part of the airlift she does have a connection being on the strength of one of the Squadrons a few months before the siege started.  She does however have a great story to tell outside of the airlift due to her participation in not just one but three major conflicts during the later part of the 20th century.

As I no longer get to play with the Vulcan I can now concentrate my efforts on getting this old warbird back in the air.  I would like to think that people who liked and followed the Vulcan would also be interested in the Skymaster.  I hope to be able to deliver on some of the things that were promised and never happend.  There will be access to the aircraft, there will be a chance to get involved, including getting your hands dirty if you desire.  There may well also be the opportunity to fly in the aircraft.

As I say I have written a plan on how I propose to get 498 back in the air.  My next task is raising some money so that I can get to playing with something old and noisy!

Look in on the facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/savetheskymaster/?pnref=story  It's an open page so anyone can look and so far we have avoided any nastiness...

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »
Malcolm and I have had a really good meeting yesterday with Allan Vogel, and Henry Hyde (owner) and his wife. We have talked about shows and merchandise and how to move the fundraising forward. We have discussed a name for the group and all sorts of things. However what we need now us as much support as possible and that includes money. You know what we've always asked for is small amounts from lots of people so please if you can, make a donation however small (or large!!) And we can get this aircraft back in the air. The cost is nowhere near that needed for more complex aircraft. The plans are so exciting and include taking her around the world to all the places she used to go to. But she will live here!
Please help this fledgling project. Share the love guys  :-)

Meanwhile please also keep helping 558. She will need our support to carry her into the next phase but there are some really good and exciting projects out there too so we need to spread it about a bit too  ;) :)
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future. Keep the faith!
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 07:02:50 PM »
How about diverting the residual Club funds to either this project or the "Just Jane" project ? far more credible than further donations to the VTTS Trust money pit !!
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
How about diverting the residual Club funds to either this project or the "Just Jane" project ? far more credible than further donations to the VTTS Trust money pit !!

that is a nice idea but I very much doubt it could be done legally. I believe part of the agreement to wind up the club and integrate was that the funds would be handed over to the Trust. I think it would be a case of forming a new supporters group for the Skymaster and starting from scratch albeit with a bit of accrued experience in fundraising.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
As the aircraft has now been donated to the group the target for the first phase has been reduced to £50,000 and the deadline has been moved out to 95 days  ;D which will pay for the aircraft parking fee for a year (around £4,000) and start to pay for things like the fabric covering of the flying controls (around £17,000), manpower for the structural repairs (about £70,000) and the cost of the prop overhaul (about £16,000).

The intention will be to keep a rolling fund raising campaign going on just giving along with conventional fund raising such as mail shots, magazine articles and airshow stands selling merchandise.

There will be a conventional bank account set up for those that do not want to give via just giving or text so you will be able to set up a standing order to donate monthly (that will be another one for me to donate to!)

Large numbers of people donating small amounts is the way to go with this.

With the donations over the last few days (thank you all very much) we are now up to 1% of the total...