Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Engineering / Re: Geoffrey Wellum
« Last post by planenut on July 20, 2018, 07:52:31 PM »
Died on Wednesday shortly before his 97th birthday.  As well as being one of the heroes of the Battle of Britain - the youngest pilot, and the defence of Malta, he had a great way with words.  My wife bought me his memoir First Light some years ago, I simply couldn't put it down, and have re-read it several times since.  His description of searching for a Bomber over the North Sea in almost zero visibility, and being guided by radar back to base at night at the very edge of radio range, and flying off a carrier at the very limit of what was possible are simply astonishing.  But by far the most evocative section for me is the description of his first flight in a Spitfire.  That was what started me looking into 2-seat Spitfires, before 'paying passengers' were accepted, which seemed an impossible dream.  But now it's a reality, and with good weather and serviceability, I should be getting mine next week.
Even if you have seen the BBC film of the same name (also on YouTube), I can't recommend the book highly enough.

Certainly an inspirational guy, who lived to a good age and being still well on the ball, a great narrator.

Enjoy your flight - Duxford I hope?
Engineering / Re: Positive news re hangar funding in the latest e-mail!
« Last post by steve w on July 20, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
Which is why regular engine runs, system exercising and maintenance are performed on XH558, which also generates revenue and keeps her in the public eye - last weekend's runs were sold out, which paid for the fuel etc.  :)
Engineering / Re: Geoffrey Wellum
« Last post by dee on July 20, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
Thanks for this, will look into reading about him!
Engineering / Geoffrey Wellum
« Last post by PaulH2015 on July 20, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Died on Wednesday shortly before his 97th birthday.  As well as being one of the heroes of the Battle of Britain - the youngest pilot, and the defence of Malta, he had a great way with words.  My wife bought me his memoir First Light some years ago, I simply couldn't put it down, and have re-read it several times since.  His description of searching for a Bomber over the North Sea in almost zero visibility, and being guided by radar back to base at night at the very edge of radio range, and flying off a carrier at the very limit of what was possible are simply astonishing.  But by far the most evocative section for me is the description of his first flight in a Spitfire.  That was what started me looking into 2-seat Spitfires, before 'paying passengers' were accepted, which seemed an impossible dream.  But now it's a reality, and with good weather and serviceability, I should be getting mine next week.

Of the many obituaries online The Independant's is one of the better ones it includes sections of an interview he gave them when his book was published in 2002 - https://tinyurl.com/ychk85ba

Even if you have seen the BBC film of the same name (also on YouTube), I can't recommend the book highly enough.
Engineering / Re: Positive news re hangar funding in the latest e-mail!
« Last post by PaulH2015 on July 20, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
I came across The Vulcan Story 1993 yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp4YnPAe1gI, which starts with the purchase by the Waltons, but is largely about the design, build and testing by the people involved - all very interesting.  Also a section about XM605 and the preservation work they were doing, during which they say how difficult it is to keep aircraft systems working once it is kept outside, and struggling with things like a completely seized engine.
Vulcan Village / Re: Vulcan to the Sky at RIAT 2018
« Last post by PhillyJ on July 19, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
hard work but enjoyed every minute, got good suntan.
I bet Cliff, I saw the mobile sunshades your Guard of Honour had for you!
« Last post by CLIFFORD on July 19, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »
hard work but enjoyed every minute, got good suntan.
« Last post by PhillyJ on July 18, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »
Yes, just about survived! A busy airshow week for her though...
...and another, she is at Farnborough all week with her company who have a stand in the exhibition hall!
« Last post by SteveL on July 18, 2018, 03:40:32 PM »
Yes, just about survived! A busy airshow week for her though...
« Last post by PhillyJ on July 18, 2018, 11:33:42 AM »
Thanks to everyone who visited the events trailer at RIAT last weekend. I was only there on the Saturday, but great to see old (and new) friends and so many Vulcan T-shirts, not to mention FG badges. There was lots of interest, onwards and upwards I hope!
Didn't get to make it this year, to be honest haven't been for a while! Hope you survived working alongside my Daughter!  C:-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10