Author Topic: Hello and help wanted  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Dunwerkin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Hello and help wanted
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
Hello everyone - I have just joined the Forum and I am looking for help with tracing a flight I made in a Vulcan in the 1960's. From 1963 to 1972 I was a Met Office observer at RAF Finningley. Quite late in 230 OCU's time (possibly 1968 or 1969) I had a flight in a Vulcan on an air experience basis - Met Office staff were civilian MOD (Air) of course.

I am sure the aircraft was an XH55? but have no idea which one. I think the flight was continuation training and we landed back at Finningley half-way through the sortie and pilots were exchanged on the runway.

I am hoping that one of the pilots will see this (I know it is unlikely) and have the details of "Number 6" in his log. I guess this would be only the first captain. It is a long time ago and names have become bleared but I think F/L George was in the second tranche of pilots. I did have a log-book but this was mislaid long ago during one of my many moves.

I hope someone can help.

David Richardson

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and help wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum David, I am sure someone will be along soon who can guide you on this.

What memories of your air experience flight, did you get any views from the back?
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »
Welcome, hopefully someone will be able to help.
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline Dunwerkin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »
Thank you both for the welcome. I have a few memories of the flight - well you can never forget the Vulcan can you!!??

I remember doing the escape drills on a mock-up and doing the training on how to put on my parachute. Surprisingly I did remember how to do it when the day came, which was just as well as all the crew were far too busy to look after me. I recall connecting and disconnecting my oxygen feed as we passed up or descended through FL100. I was sat on the starboard side in the dickie-seat for most of the flight, but did get to crawl forward once or twice to view through the bomb-aimers window before it got dark. I think I had steak and chips with the crew before the flight and remember consuming chocolate bars out the food box during the flight.

I certainly feel very privileged to have flown in such a wonderful aircraft. Quite a few times over the years when people have discussed the Vulcan and said how great it was, I have just not been able to stop myself saying "yes I have flown in one". The smug look on ones face is not possible to hide.

Thanks again

Dave

Online StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »
You might try Craig Bullman (I don't have his email but the Trust should be able to contact him on your behalf),he is known as "Mr Vulcan" and given a few snippets of information he probably will be able to pin down the aircraft that you flew in.He has written very authorotive books on the history of every Vulcan ever produced by AVRO and flown by the RAF.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »
I certainly feel very privileged to have flown in such a wonderful aircraft. Quite a few times over the years when people have discussed the Vulcan and said how great it was, I have just not been able to stop myself saying "yes I have flown in one". The smug look on ones face is not possible to hide.
Dave

Wow, what a fabulous memory and boast.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Dunwerkin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
Thanks Mike for the info, I will certainly try that route.

By the way - anyone who likes Vulcans and Freddie Mercury has got to be OK.

Planenut - yes and I can't stand smug people!!!!   I have had a few guys over the years who accused me of shooting a line.

Thanks again

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
Great little read thanks for posting Dunwerkin, hope you find your answers, you got any old RAF Finningley photos to share?

Offline djrose007

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • Me and my Shadow
    • View Profile
    • RAF Luqa Remembered
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »
Hi David,
Did you serve at any RAF bases abroad? We had Met Office staff at Malta, Masirah and Gan when I served there, probably in Singapore too but I was at Seletar after the aircraft had moved to Tengah and Changi.

I remember at Gan (Maldives) we had Bert Ford, he of TV fame. I came off night shift from the commcen and thought I'd go for a single handed sail in the lagoon before having a sleep. Rang the met office and Bert looked at his radar and said it looks like about 10kt and calm.
Walked out of the sailing club and noticed the horizon was BLACK from East to West. Called Bert back and told him to forget the radar, look out of the window.
About half an hour later we had the most horrendous storm experienced in the 7 months I spent on the island!! He said it was because the storm was so huge it didn't show up on the radar as an entity, just blocked the whole thing out I guess.
Of course, it has to be said that they were 99.9% of the time totally reliable.

If you get in touch with Craig Bulman you will be very impressed, and a lovely man. I thought I had his email address but can't find it now.
Good luck
Dave Rose
David J Rose Mem. No. 17334
http://raf-luqa.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://raf-masirah.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (dog obedience training)

Offline Dunwerkin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
Hi Guys, Sorry for the delay in responding to your messages been up the West Coast of Scotland and out of WiFi range ( a welcome delight ), so I wasn't able to go to Southport

ADI  -  I have 1960's photos/slides buried somewhere in boxes. I will look them out and share when I can. Pics were mostly taken on Battle of Britain show practice days for obvious security issues. I remember one year being about 50 yards from the runway during the Vulcan practice display take off - we were allowed to accompany some more official photographers. I hope I can find the pics of that. I was at Finningley from Sept 1963, so had a front row seat for 6 years. The Met Office was then in the top floor offices of 3 hangar. My wife and I met in that office 50 years ago this month.

Dave Rose  -  No I never did an overseas tour, except 6 months in the Falklands during the 90's. I knew Bert Foord although I never worked with him. He was a Met Man's Met Man and highly respected by his colleagues both as a meteorologist and as a man. A lovely guy with no ego - Sadly he died young at 70 in 2001.

Now back from my travels I will take up the suggestion of contacting Craig Bulman.

Thanks all for you welcome and comments.