Author Topic: Whats the Problem ?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline DunstableDasher

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Whats the Problem ?
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »
Am aware of recent statements regarding crowds at Finningley airport and safety concerns but am unsure if this refers to people or cars or both. Was hoping to view a take off and intended to use public transport and walk to a suitable vantage point (not in the airport), would this be classed as adding to the perceived problem ?

Offline simondjuk

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the Problem ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:23 PM »
I think the main issue is some people really not giving a s**t and parking how and where they want, ie blocking access points etc.

Im pretty sure its a very small minority.

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
I can't see why there would be a problem using public transport and walking down the OBR. No idea what buses or trains there are but there must be some.  Considering doing this myself.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
The problem with an occasion such as this is that the majority of those attending do not have much of an "aviation" mindset, therefore, as suggested, they want to have the shortest walk, and will park anywhere, regardless.

Sad to say, that the advice aimed at reducing congestion by requesting "non-attendance", will only be seen by those with that aforementioned mindset.  The majority will not think about the inconvenience and "risk" their presence causes.

Luckily, for those in authority who are fretting, this congestion will be over in a few hours; perhaps Doncaster Sheffield Airport could suggest a suitable time and date for this to happen between their commercial flights, which to me always appears to be around 1500 to 1800 hours.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:11:20 AM »
Just done a little research on buses (something that is very alien to me). The 91 service operates from Doncaster to Finningley every hour/half hour or so at weekends. There is a stop at the top end of the OBR in Finningley.  The journey time is 45 mins.  I imagine parking in Doncaster is easy enough.

If you can make sense of it, maps & timetables are here:-
http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/doncaster/616.htm
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment