Author Topic: Big gap between Rutland and North Weald - will it def go over Grafham Water  (Read 4781 times)

Offline turnipflan

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
There is a very large gap between Rutland and North Weald with no way points. Does anyone know if it definitely go over Grafham water, as the map shows, or is that not guaranteed as it is along way from the way points. Put another way where is the best place to see her if you live in Cambridge? Many thanks.

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
^^^^^^^^^^

Wot he said.... :) :) :) :)

Or to put it another way...

Wots the best way for an Ely-dwelling Vulcanlover to get to see her?
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile

The best way is to watch the website carefully when the timings are published, pick your spot, go there & hope that she flies exactly as planned.
There is no other. Asking questions about an exact route and timing at this point is pointless.

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
There are no guarantees about anything and the best places to find out whats going on is the FB pages including the Club one and Twitter.
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
As I mentioned in another thread however, if the servers are overloaded, there is no information coming out, as witnessed yesterday!

Offline woody

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Grrr,

I was on a hill near Westcott Airfield but she arrived 10 mins early, and turned at Bicester, 5 miles away.

If I hadn't been on the hill I'd have missed her completely.

I guess the posted turning point at Westcott got changed.

The 100 odd people down by the airfield entrance saw nothing apparently.

Offline AlecSp

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Decided not to risk the route on that long stretch, so headed over to North Weald to be safe.

From crossing the M11, it became clear that we werent' alone.  Busy roads all heading in one direction.  Plenty of cars ditching at the side of the road (probably concerned by the earlier 13:15 timing, and not realising it had been rescheduled back to 13:30).  But efficient marshalling at the airfield entrance got us in and parked with 10 mins to go.

We were rewarded by XH588 flying in across the other side of the airfield, banking turn to fly back over the spectators, with a final banking climbing turn to head back out again - at which point she was caught perfectly by the sun.

Offline nhserv1

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
I guess the posted turning point at Westcott got changed.

The 100 odd people down by the airfield entrance saw nothing apparently.

There were a hundred or so people at Ludgershall that missed it at the planned Turning Point too - just saw a glimpse in the far distance heading the other side of Bicester.  Was there an ATC conflict?  There was a light helicopter came over just before 558 was due.....

Not being negative, just very sad I've missed my last chance. :( :( :( Pinning hopes on further flights now......

Offline Vulcan1958

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
We didn't get any video from North Weald on Sunday, but found this !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeWe5yLQ14