Author Topic: Northern Britain Tour - East Midlands Airport  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Astro

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Northern Britain Tour - East Midlands Airport
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
Just manage to get to Pride Park Derby to see the Vulcan fly over, great if brief show.  It arrived 30 minutes early and looking at the tweets it missed out East Midlands Airport, where according to the Tweets, hundreds (some said thousands) were waiting and missed it.  A lot of disappointed people.  Anyone know why it missed EMA?  Several of the Tweets report that all air traffic had been stopped and it was cleared to fly through the airspace, others that a light plane came into land just at the wrong time.

Thanks for the Derby City flyover. ;D

Offline stevew

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Britain Tour - East Midlands Airport
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Also, around 300 of us really disappointed by a no show at Rother Valley Country Park on the South Eastern outskirts of Sheffield. We were all on the top of a hill looking across the park with its lovely lakes, the outskirts and in the background the Derbyshire countryside and the final Turning Point Plumley Hill.

Wonder why this was missed and 558 diverted?

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
My local radio said there were other a/c in the vicinity and 558 was diverted away from East Mids at the last minute.

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »
A Cessna took off after being asked to hold and EMA had to ask 558 to divert.  It is on EMA's twitter feed.

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »
Ouch. maybe more opertunitys tomorrow for people ???

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »
The crew today will try to slot it in after Bruntingthorpe, but there can be no promises as it is towards the end of a complex route and as ever, it depends on many factors like fuel remaining and ATC clearance.

Facebook and Twitter posts later to advise ....

Please remember, everyone tries their very best and do not deserve a lot of the negativity out there in Internet land. It is a VERY complex job to make sure anything like this goes smoothly.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:30:14 PM by PA28 »

Offline Astro

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 04:39:41 PM »
No criticism of XH558 from me and what I’ve read any has been made of EMA ATC (I don’t know if they warrant it).  The Vulcan trust have all done a fantastic job and the farewell tour has been much appreciated.  XH558 DID a flypast of EMA this afternoon (Sunday) and from the twitter feed it sounded great.  Thanks again.

Offline little scientist

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »
We waited on saturday and were gutted (not annoyed or angry....just saddened) that it didn't fly over. There have been conflicting stories as to why she didn't pass by on Saturday and I don't know who is right, and probably never will know. I think people were miffed that the Vulcan team gave no explanation as to why (although EMA did later release a statement), and then for an appeal for donations to be put on twitter - people felt let down I think. But, I was thrilled when they said it would pass by on Sunday and managed to get to work (near to EMA) on the Sunday to see her fly over. So graceful and a wonderful sight to see!

Big thanks to the team for rescheduling EMA!