Author Topic: Final Flight  (Read 20256 times)

Offline Robclo

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Final Flight
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »
Just read today's account of the terms of the final flight........SAD!!!!
If service veterans (XH558 qualifies) were making a farewell parade in Doncaster I'm sure the authorities would be only too pleased and the police would do just that....police the area and ensure safety?
After all.....it's (regretfully) not going to happen again!

Offline billybear

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Final Flight
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:57:53 AM »
are we assuming that it will be Friday then for the fitting finale !!!! not happy  :(

Offline brooklands280

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »
What was todays flight then? apparently a good display.

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »

41.45 Million Argentinians liked this.
Chris

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:27:02 AM »
What was todays flight then? apparently a good display.

No idea the video feed went down! From what I've read, because I have no interest in watching it in retrospect at this point, it was just a few circuits and brake chute on landing.

Offline Prometheus

• Do I really want a title?
  • Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
    • T. A. Ashcroft - Author
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 07:31:32 AM »
There was also a nice touch and go thrown in ☺

Offline billybear

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:08 AM »
pity not many of us got to see it !!! it just seems such a sad and wrong way to end her flying days , I know not everyone would get to see the final flight but the whole episode just sucks and seems to have had  little thought for the genuine supporters , I know that there were concerns about safety etc  but to me , and I may have got this totally wrong , the whole thing has been badly planned and in a couple of years time how many people will be visiting her ?? no doubt many of you wont agree with what ive said but I just feel very let down and yes you may think iam not happy that I didn't get to see the final flight but I bet iam not the only one !! :(

Offline Vulcanatic

• Regular User
  • Vulcan Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 04:01:06 AM »
pity not many of us got to see it !!! it just seems such a sad and wrong way to end her flying days , I know not everyone would get to see the final flight but the whole episode just sucks and seems to have had  little thought for the genuine supporters , I know that there were concerns about safety etc  but to me , and I may have got this totally wrong , the whole thing has been badly planned and in a couple of years time how many people will be visiting her ?? no doubt many of you wont agree with what ive said but I just feel very let down and yes you may think iam not happy that I didn't get to see the final flight but I bet iam not the only one !! :(

As much as I would have loved to, I wouldn't have got up to see the final flight even if it had been well publicised but I can sympathise very much with those who would have wished to do so. I agree with a great deal of what you say. This final flight has a sordid feel to it. The great Martin Withers described this last flight as being "like a funeral". This engineering college or whatever they're planning is a nonsense, VULCAN is to inspire tomorrows engineers? OK VULCAN is inspirational but it's obsolete technology and students could easily visit an aircraft museum.

My personal view is that this magnificent beast is to enter the most shameful part of its history, that of a cobweb-clad cash-cow. None of the shame reflecting on XH558.
Chris

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 05:14:38 AM »
There have been apprentices working on another airframe for some time at Doncaster. I can't remember exactly what but I am sure PA28 will know. They will not be training just on 558.  They are already 2 similar Aviation academies up and running in the UK.  These teach a variety of aviation related skills not just engineering.

The plan which is on the website is for the engineering team to take on other projects and outside work which will involve training as well and is well underway having being worked on for sometime.  There has been a massive amount of background work been going on for the last couple of years which we will now see developing.  It is a shame people are so negative without giving it a chance.

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
  It is a shame people are so negative without giving it a chance.

Sarah I think in fairness you know more than most being connected via the club committee. All I can easily find on this website about the future is this  ..  http://www.vulcantothesky.org/history/post-flight.html

and that doesn't say a lot. I know there have been various mentions in the newsletter but at 2 a week they soon get lost in the mass.
With 558 now grounded I would hope this item will become more prominent on the website.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:01:55 AM by Mayfly »

Offline djrose007

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • Me and my Shadow
    • View Profile
    • RAF Luqa Remembered
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »

As much as I would have loved to, I wouldn't have got up to see the final flight even if it had been well publicised but I can sympathise very much with those who would have wished to do so. I agree with a great deal of what you say. This final flight has a sordid feel to it. The great Martin Withers described this last flight as being "like a funeral". This engineering college or whatever they're planning is a nonsense, VULCAN is to inspire tomorrows engineers? OK VULCAN is inspirational but it's obsolete technology and students could easily visit an aircraft museum.

My personal view is that this magnificent beast is to enter the most shameful part of its history, that of a cobweb-clad cash-cow. None of the shame reflecting on XH558.

I don't think she will be 'Cobweb Clad', she'll be maintained and kept pristine. What the trust did was save her from being covered in cobwebs at Bruntingthorpe and got her into the sky for 8 years, quite an achievement when she was going to the scrapyard before the Walton family saved her and subsequently the trust.
It's very sad that she's not flying and all the negative talk about her last short flight negates the huge achievement of the North and South tour weekend.
Personally I'm fed up with reading such comments and will now disappear from the forum but continue to get the newsletters etc.
David J Rose Mem. No. 17334
http://raf-luqa.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://raf-masirah.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (dog obedience training)

Offline MARKSIX

• Regular User
  • proud club member from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
agree David . So many negative comments . Have to appreciate the effort was all about the farewell tour and all that involved . Sure now that has been done the next phase will have equally as much effort put into it and we will all be informed

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »
Mayfly I do agree it is time to pull info together as most of it has come through weekly emails and they do get lost nor should we need to refer back to them. I am sure there is an article on the academy somewhere but I don't know how far back. It should be in one easy to access area and the FAQs updated.

Hopefully this will be coming shortly now final flight is done and dusted.

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
The message certainly isn't out there. A lot of people still think it's all about taxi runs and hangar visits and they are what the Trust are depending for funding.

Rick Steer

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »
My view is that it is a  pity there are so many negative comments, but you need to step back and ask why they are being made. Do not confuse the gratitude for the last 8 years with the frustration about the last flight.....

I'm absolutely gutted that, having supported her since the first days of the trust, with a not insignificant number of donations each year, there was no provision for her supporters at her final flight. This should have been a massive gathering, rather than the few who were there on the day.

Let me try to explain the depth of people's feelings by using Martin's analogy about it being like a funeral. Imagine being told that, having paid for some of the care costs over the last 8 years for your (now recently departed) relative, you are told to stay away from the funeral....but you can watch it on TV.....if only the TV feed hadn't crashed just at the most poignant moment of the entire day. To many of us humble members, it is unacceptable.

I understand the arguments about security, but its not like Robin Hood is on a par with Heathrow is it? Given enough good will on all sides, with early planning, this could have been so much better - after all this was the final ever flight of a national icon supported and loved by thousands - it's never going to happen again. But apparently our selected final resting place are more worried about their financials than supporting this unique event for a couple of hours.  If Robin Hood & the local police are that uncooperative at the start of her ground based life, one wonders how long it will be before notice is served for VTTS to leave the airport completely. With an airframe that cannot fly that is only going to end one way - with her being scrapped.

As an example of what could be done, look at the provision BA made at Heathrow when Concorde last flew in - temporary seating on the perimeter, catering, extra security in place etc, etc....I was there, it was emotional, but we were all grateful to witness it first hand.

I have to agree with others that the whole last flight episode has left a bad taste in the mouth, and actually this is what people will remember rather than the 8 glorious years we achieved.....which is a great pity.

None of us are ungrateful - after all we have partly funded the last 8 years and it's been fabulous, but in my opinion the trust have fallen woefully short at the very last hurdle.