Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Engineering / Re: So that's it then?
« Last post by Funtera on May 21, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
"Dan O" - the Sunday Sport of aviation...  ;)
Haha, the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport, they had some great headlines! Wasn't there a Liberator crashed on the moon once, then a London Double Decker bus got transported to the North Pole... :o

Lancaster and it was 2nd Edition !! 1st edition was the Double Decker at the North Pole
« Last post by PhillyJ on May 21, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
Haha, the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport, they had some great headlines! Wasn't there a Liberator crashed on the moon once, then a London Double Decker bus got transported to the North Pole... :o
« Last post by eddief on May 18, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
« Last post by sickbag_andy on May 16, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »
well you whetted my appetite Clive and I had a look but the original statement has now gone, but your copy here still exists.

I'm amazed that that lot still keep dragging the same subject up and really it's no wonder that I and others refuse to post on there. It's the most unfriendly forum that I've ever been on, aggressive and rude. Dan'O thrives on his antagonism and imflammatory comments with which he leads the way and then his disciples do what disciples do best and follow suit so it's an ever increasing tank full of  insulting comments to almost every aircraft preservation group or airshow organiser in the UK. Last week it was Shuttleworth getting an e-bashing for daring to include the Typhoon, today as well as the regular VTST bashing it's Scampton and so on.

I'm not defending the Trust here, I do feel they have let us down with their decision making but the attacks on Steve Liddle this morning by Rich-whatshisname culminating in 'Oh, really? Sorry, you don't get to take the bat and ball and go home just yet. We're not done' was downright rude as well as aggressive and hardly deserving of a civil reply if indeed any reply at all.

UKAR are not official spokespersons for the enthusiasts but try to behave as if they are but their attitude will (if it hasn't already' lose them all credibility. That in some ways is a shame because a group acting as an 'official' liasion between airshows and the more serious airshow attending public could be a positive thing but who in their right mind is going to listed to them with their attitude for any length of time? A case in point is DanO, he clearly think antagonism is the best approach and upsets people on the way (including me and that is why I stopped posting there, they could clearly do without me although I notice several of my posts on here have then been quoted in full - without my permission)  but sadly he does actually make a few good points and a far more conciliatory attitude might  find him making his points better AND getting better responses.

I'd like to see answers from the trust, we aren't getting enough at the moment - all I keep getting is almost daily e-mails with the latest V-Bay offer and a tenuous story to beef it out and call it a newsletter (I thought they were reducing to one a week to keep down costs) but harping back to the past solves nothing unless it's the past of the last 3 years and why it has all gone so wrong. I agreed with Doncaster as a flying base but unfinanced grand plans at a live airport were the wrong choice for after flight however I'm not sure that the much heralded Bruntingthorpe ticked all the boxes - for me more than Doncaster but not all.
Whether we will ever get all or even some of the relevant answers I don't know but I hope so. The relevant questions forme now are:
1: is there any likelihood of even the currently approved hangar being built i.e. has a backer been found? If not then you can almost certainly rule out ETNA and that was the core argument for staying at Doncaster so with no funds in place an alternative cheaper option should have been sought before flying ended.
2: is the current funding model sustainable in the long run or is 558 on an inevitable collision course with a breaker's cutter at some point? It seems to be based on goodwill plus charging high prices to get up close for the few that can realistcally afford it, hardly the accessible 'people's aircraft' that was offered. Another Vulcan did engine runs for it's supporters on a live airport recently so what is so different with Doncaster? (and it wasn't at £100 per person).
3: was a guarantee that in their then present state that the Trust could do fast taxiing on the Doncaster runway? (I've been told that at present the airport are totally against it because of the risks to the runway operations, i.e the aircraft might break down or similar) The regular fast taxi runs  were another carrot to persuade us the long supporting public that Doncaster was a good choice so when if ever will they materialise AND in a way which are publicly accessible at a reasonable price?

Those for me are the core questions. silicagate and rollgate are way in the past and harping on about them serves no purpose, I'm sure they were dealt with such that a repetition would not occur, if the Trust operate a blame free culture then so be it, that's all in the past now and ultimately the CAA were satisfied so that's all we need to know.

Andy
« Last post by wcg on May 16, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Whilst somewhat off topic.....

A serious accusation regarding the silica bag incident has been posted on UKAR by someone who calls himself 'bernarde'.
Given that there are those on here ( including Sam, unless I'm mistaken ) who've said they don't frequent that forum, I feel it should be posted on here :
VTTS will never give any information out on the silica incident as it was covered up as the person who removed them (or not) shouldn't have been anywhere near the aircraft while preparing for a sortie. Needless to say they remained employed by the trust but in a "IT" role. The engineers got the blame who we're not even on-site due to being stuck in traffic.
« Last post by minty4371 on April 20, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »
The XH558 Engine Ground-Run Experience -
Bookings now being taken for Saturday 12th May - 9am start and 1pm start.
You could be enjoying close-access to XH558 and hear the famous Vulcan 'howl' at close-quarters with our first public ground engine-run of 2018.
Arrive at the Ramada Hotel on the edge of Doncaster Sheffield Airport to your Welcome Meeting with refreshments and drinks provided.
Take in your briefing, then depart through security (Valid photo I.D. required) to board a coach that will take you to the engine ground-running bay.
See the ground crew prepare the aircraft for power-on.
Witness the aircraft come to life, with all Olympus engines started and control surfaces exercised.
See the operation of the bomb-bay doors and air-brakes.
Hear application of full-power to selected engines and the famous Vulcan 'howl'.
Shutdown and then close under-wing inspections complete the airside visit before returning to the coach.
9am arrival - only 30 places available - Adults @ £100 per head
1pm arrival - only 30 places available - Adults @ £100 per head
Limited 16-17 year-old places available at £75 per head while stocks last

This is in Today's newsletter.

Rest of it at https://mxm.mxmfb.com/rsps/m/J6C5cpcmLps5H43gZ8qfMhlF02oTMo-Wr2X1QBCgXAU
« Last post by wcg on April 20, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
I know some of you don't like UKAR, but you may be interested in reading some of the recent posts on there ( last page - page 58 )
Engineering / Re: Irony?
« Last post by planenut on April 18, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »
Well that's progress! yet, it's not.
« Last post by steve w on April 17, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
Even more ironic is the raids were carried out by 4 Tornados, which are being phased out next year....
« Last post by steve w on April 17, 2018, 06:19:01 PM »
Catch 22!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10