FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: So that's it then?  (Read 15818 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
So that's it then?
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Looking at UKARSE forum the feeding frenzy has started.

The news is that 558 will be stored outside from the end of the month.

What a great job the trust has made of this.  When we were made redundant the line was that the new hangar would be built by the end of this year and tours and events would start early in 2017.  Six months on and absolutely no sign of any hangar building type activity at Doncaster and our baby about to be chucked outside along with 163 and all the other stuff that is stored in No.1 hangar I guess.

As usual no word from the trust - they'll just keep quite and hope we don't notice.

I wonder how they will empty hangar 1?  It took four of us the best part of a month to move all the stuff from three hangar.  Now there is no-one left (as Taff has now started a new job at Waddington)  perhaps Andrew Edmonson will be getting his hands dirty...

What happens to 163 and all her spares?  At the moment the aircraft and most of the large components are in hangar 1.  If she is moved outside in the state she is now (engines, flying controls and panels removed in preparation for the major) the chances of any return to flight are remote.  The spares are in Delta court along with all the tons of Vulcan web store stock how long before the trust is ejected from that unit?  The spare engines are still in Coventry...

What a complete horlicks...
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: So that's it then?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »
Ive been fuming all day!! This just gets worse!! A vote of definate  no-confidence from this XH558 supporter!!!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
I can only imagine how bitter you must feel Sam,all the years of toil and no doubt love for 558 to see her end up as a "Cash Cow" to keep a few of the favoured trust employees in a job  !!! some of whom in my opinion should have been given their cards years ago !,it,s a crying shame that 558 could have flown back into "Brunty" and been looked after for years to come by a hugely competent team of "VOLUNTEERS" ,instead we have the prospect of the "Scrappers" cutting torch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »
I can see this not ending well.  >:(

Both 558 and Canberra kicked out of Hangar 3 to Hangar 1 was bad enough. Now kicked out of that to fester whilst the 'alleged' new hangar is built (Which will probably take the best part of a year - at a guess) is very sad. With no engineers to maintain them - it is likely both air frames will rapidly fall foul to the weather and end up looking very pitiful after a few months.

I just feel so very sorry for all the ground crew that put so many hours into keeping 558 serviceable from the outset, only to see it dumped outside like an old redundant TV set is appalling IMO.

Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
I had a fabulous time chasing this beast around the country, meeting some great people and finding such dedicated ones, my thanks to those.

I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »
it was only last month that the engines were brought out of hibernation, now what? are they left in a safe state?  >:(

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
Now the engines have been run there is no inhibiting oil in the fuel system.  The inhibiting oil prevents the seals in the fuel system from rotting.  It took Ray two days to drain the system and inhibit the engines.  Now the engines have been run they need to be run every 28 days.  Perhaps some of Taffs volunteers have magically learnt how to inhibit the engines.

Offline Trev

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:24:18 PM »
Hi Sam

Did the build a plane project end up being stored in hanger 1 also?
If so what will happen to all the parts that everyone helped to build?
its a shame it has come to this because christian and the other air cadets realy enjoyed building the parts for it.
As for the Vulcan even i am beginning to realise that it was a big mistake keeping her here in Doncaster.

Regards and best wishes Trev   

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »
Now the engines have been run there is no inhibiting oil in the fuel system.  The inhibiting oil prevents the seals in the fuel system from rotting.  It took Ray two days to drain the system and inhibit the engines.  Now the engines have been run they need to be run every 28 days.  Perhaps some of Taffs volunteers have magically learnt how to inhibit the engines.

That does sound a bit of a worry but how do all the other preserved aircraft at places like Bruntingthorpe and Elvington get on. Do they do regular anti-det runs on them. If they do then they dont give much publicty to them and would have thought they could attract a few extra visitors if the public were told they were happening.

I do worry that 558 is going to continually lurch from one problem (dont like to use the word crisis) and sooner or later the support will dry up. Shame there arent any remaining club funs that can be used to protect her but l assume even if they havent been finally handed over yet they will only go on wages when they finally do reach the trust. I do wonder why they need to retain several full time staff members now, other groups dont  operate on that model and are successful in thier aspirations.

Ive said it before and l will say it again, lf only the vote hadnt been for integration but association we would be in a much stronger position to give the right kind of selective help.
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »
I can't believe all the newsletters every week paint a different picture to whats been said on here,

is Plemming in denial? 

or are we going overboard?

can't belive its come to this,

a few taxy runs a year would have kept me donating but we get nothing  >:(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:11:42 PM by ADI »

Offline Rushy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rushy.net/
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:56 AM »
Is the content UKARSE suddenly gospel on this forum?
Let's at least get some real facts before we start jumping in with those morons..
I'm not saying the trust isn't doing this but I'm also pretty sure that, until quite recently, that other forum was never a source for facts on here!
--

Whoda thunk it?

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
Let's at least get some real facts before we start jumping in with those morons..
I'm not saying the trust isn't doing this but I'm also pretty sure that, until quite recently, that other forum was never a source for facts on here!

Tending to Agree with Rushy here I'm afraid .. after reading some posts on UK"ARSE" about LFA7 .. I'm not there anymore!!

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
I doubt that Sam would repeat something from another forum if he himself wasn't confident about the truth of the matter !

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
that other forum was never a source for facts on here!

Heaven forbid Rushy, if it were then we might as well all give up. If they WERE a source of facts then the first thing l would do would be to ask them for this Saturdays lottery numbers and bail out 558 with slme of the winnings!

tHey doo enjoy  stoking fireS on their so maybe them shud sponsor a water bmober. (Deliberate mis-spellings so the usual suspect can have a dig at me, since he accused me of trolling l stopped posting, got fed up of his antics but the chosen few still adore him!
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »
Hi Sam

Did the build a plane project end up being stored in hanger 1 also?
If so what will happen to all the parts that everyone helped to build?
its a shame it has come to this because christian and the other air cadets realy enjoyed building the parts for it.
As for the Vulcan even i am beginning to realise that it was a big mistake keeping her here in Doncaster.

Regards and best wishes Trev

Hi Trev,

The build a  plane parts were stored in Dave Firth workshop (in anticipation of this exact scenario occurring)  If I had been allowed to continue Dave would have been happy for me to carry on with the project in the workshop.

We had a living breathing ETNA project right there but the management did not want to see it or use it (I guess because there was no shiny gin palace to set their office up in)

No idea what will happen to that project now.  Andrew edmondson is now the registered builder (even though he never went near the project before)  i did hear that Jack Milne was trying to rescue it and I have also heard that some of the hangar volunteers have been looking around.

There is still about £1000 worth of my tools stored in with the project so I will be following any progress with interest.

Yes it does look like Doncaster was a huge mistake now...