Author Topic: Wellesbourne and XM655  (Read 6777 times)

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Wellesbourne and XM655
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »
Sadly no Wings and Wheels for 2017 http://www.xm655.com/index.php

"In the post-Shoreham world, the amount of work required from our small volunteer organisation cannot be justified."

and

"Possible events for future years will be considered when we have a clearer view of the airfield’s availability."

Those two statements don't quite compute.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 02:46:47 PM »
It must be frustrating, and good luck to all who contribute.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline ADI

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »
oh gutted been for the last 2 years and will really miss it this year, it was my fathers day outing, no live Vulcans this year  >:( :( ???

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
I too will miss it - I've been every year but 1 since they started in 1995.

The event is growing each year but the volunteer force isn't. Half of them didn't even make the Saturday evening meal they always attend last year because the additional work kept them late.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
The event is growing each year but the volunteer force isn't.

Not uncommon in the worlds of classics.  My local-ish MG group has announced this year's open (as opposed to just group members) MG Heritage run is to be the 25th and last because of the effects of passing time on the organisers.  Disappointingly on the same day as Wellesbourne last year, and we opted to do the run.  But ironically the route (unknown in advance) took us right past the airfield and we were treated to several fly-overs by a jet as we passed by.  Had I known of both these changes at the time we would have done Wellesbourne last year and the run this!  As it is we are doing the run this year anyway as we were on the first as well as a number of others.

As far as becoming a volunteer for MaPS goes, anyone interested should just turn up on a Saturday morning and have a chat with the people there.  That's apparently how most of them started.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
Looks like no Wings and Wheels for 2018 either.  Local paper item implies that the owners of the airfield are not allowing it - confirmed on https://xm655.com/, which may well be a deliberate attempt to starve them of funding and so kill 655.