FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: Douglas C54 Skymaster at North Weald  (Read 4519 times)

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas C54 Skymaster at North Weald
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
They don't want me on UKAR!!! :( I've tried to log in to no avail and I've tried several ways to contact the admin and had no response.

I'm not THAT bad am I ???? ;) ;) ;D ;D
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 12:05:44 AM »
Time to bump this thread as it's dropped off the radar in the last couple of months.

Our friends at spotter magazine have published an article about the Skymaster.

https://issuu.com/spottermagazine/docs/spotter_issue_13

As you may have seen we have had our first event at North Weald which was an encouraging start with over 150 people visiting the aircraft and buying some stuff from the stand we had set up.

We have a stand booked at RIAT and will have the first of our T shirts on sale along with some stickers and pens.  Come along and say hello (you'll probably meet some familiar faces) we will be in the Red Zone.

The face book page is still going well with over 1100 people following the page now.

https://www.facebook.com/savetheskymaster/?pnref=story

Just giving is a bit slow with just over £700 raised, thank you to everyone who has contributed.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/save-the-skymaster?utm_id=107&utm_term=7dVA6gqmZ

Really enjoying working on this and looking forward to returning this old warbird back to her rightful place in the sky - she will be the only flying Skymaster in the Northern hemisphere and possibly the only one in the world.

I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
Just popped a donation in..
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »
You star!!
 ;D
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
Thanks for your support we are up to £750 now  ;D

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
Made a donation,this needs a boost of some sort to get it moving quicker

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:43 PM »
We should have our own web site up and running by the time we get to Fairford.

RIAT is the big launch where we are going to show people we mean business.

This time next year we will be getting ready to put 498 in the static park at RIAT 2018 to comemorate 70 years since the start of the Berlin Airlift.

Thank you for your donation Mike, it's appreciated.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »
Well sorry to say the Website is still not up and running which is a shame.  I have seen the prototype (or whatever the IT people call the thing before it's released) and it looks very good.

We had a fairly good show at Fairford though a booth in the Red sheds was perhaps not the right choice as it was very difficult to get peoples attention.  If you happened to wander past with a Vulcan shirt on I apologize but it was a good way of getting your attention.  There was a lot of interest in the project which was very encouraging.  We covered our costs and started on our journey to educate people on the role of the Skymaster in the Airlift and the cold war.

Our Just giving page has run its course and raised just over £1000,  Not quite the amount we hoped to achieve but it's a start.  This money will go towards the stock which we have purchased to sell at the shows, which then goes into the pot to pay for me to fix the aircraft.  We will be launching some more smaller appeals on just giving, hope fully if the amount is smaller it will seem to more achievable and people will be more willing to donate.  The idea is to have specific things we are raising funds for.  The first will probably be to pay for the wheels and tyres to be replaced which will probably cost about £2000 by the time we have got all the kit in one place and I've spent a week on the airfield.  After that we will be looking for some funds to hire a crane to get the props and flying controls removed.

I have been spending a lot of time reading the maintenance manuals and working out what work will be relevant to our return to flight maintenance program.  I have a meeting later this month with the FAA to discuss the work we will be carrying out which is all very exciting and interesting.

Plans are moving on quite quickly now as the project gains momentum and a life of it's own.  We have had a small feature in the news section of "Flypast" and "Spotter" magazine was kind enough to do a three page feature for us  https://issuu.com/spottermagazine/docs/spotter_issue_13.  There should be an article in the German classic aircraft  magazine "Flugzeug Classic" next month.  There is understandably a lot of interest in the aircraft in Germany.

We have been invited to attend an event in Berlin in June 2019!  https://www.facebook.com/BerlinAirlift70/  The target is to fly next year and it will be great to be part of this great commemoration.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
Thanks for the update Sam, onwards and upwards!!
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory