FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: Scampton Airshow 2017  (Read 349 times)

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Scampton Airshow 2017
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:01:22 PM »
I hope a few of you are going to the all new Scampton Airshow this weekend,whilst it will not be as grand as Waddington was I think that it is only fair to give the organisers a chance and to see what they can put on !
One thing for certain is that I will not be visiting the VTTS (or whatever they are currently calling it) stand or contributing any further funding to them,I am more likely to donate to the "Just Jane" project or the "Peoples Mosquito" by far more worthy than the VTTS cash cow !!

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Scampton Airshow 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Nope not going. Apparently the traffic control is chaos sending people the wrong way, according to other fora.

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
I think the problem with the traffic control was that  the A15 after Caenby Corner was closed to none airshow traffic and likewise from the Lincoln direction causing none airshow traffic a difficult diversion that was poorly advertised and signposted,Access and exit from the airshow was easy but I feel for anyone wanting to go about their daily routines in the area.The flying was OK but could have been much improved if some of the static aircraft had actually displayed in particular the Swedish Viggen and Draken, the Hawk 200,the Tornado and the F18. Bit of a shame about the Reds only being able to put up four aircraft at their penultimate display of the year and the none appearance of the A400 (operational requirements I believe).All in all a good first Scampton Airshow but definite room for improvement and as promised I avoided the VTTS stand but no doubt many are taken in by the patter and continue to donate to the 558 cash cow !

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
The closing of the A15 to direct traffic to the parking for the airshow shouldn't have caused a problem, they have been doing it for years for the Lincolnshire show half a mile down the road. So I assume the organisers would have spoken to someone in the know before hand.  ???

It used to happen when I worked at Scampton in the 90s before it closed. As far as getting to work was concerned it was fine but I guess an annoyance for those who live on base and want to go out during the day.

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »
I had the (dubious!) pleasure of accompanying StAthan lecky and his lovely lady wife and I have to agree with his comments re the flying display.
It's a shame some of the statics didn't display especially the Swedish Heritage aircraft - they would have made what was a good first show brilliant.
On the downside we had Grandstand tickets but the car park was at the opposite end and it was a LONG walk! Plus the Grandstand was at the end of the flightline and not in the centre as they normally are, big disappointment  :(
Plenty of room for improvement but I thought it was promising and look forwards to the next one  ;)

Didn't go on the Trusts stand, they won't ever get another penny off me. Good to see all the volunteers taking peoples cash to keep Edmondson, Trotter and Pleming in the life style they are accustomed to  - NOT! >:(
Shame 558 won't see any of it...................

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:33 AM »
I hope a few of you are going to the all new Scampton Airshow this weekend,whilst it will not be as grand as Waddington was I think that it is only fair to give the organisers a chance and to see what they can put on !
One thing for certain is that I will not be visiting the VTTS (or whatever they are currently calling it) stand or contributing any further funding to them,I am more likely to donate to the "Just Jane" project or the "Peoples Mosquito" by far more worthy than the VTTS cash cow !!

Mike
Ok, I can understand that opinion and fully agree where you are coming from on that. I have been involved with, and still do from an immediate family connection, a link to the VTTS merch stall and can honestly say that the time and effort put in by these people is second to none. As a 'lurker' on this site for an awful long time I think that some of us may be linking the current issues with XH588 with those that are still trying to bring in money to the project. To be clear here I no links to those in charge except for the friendships I have garnered through the years of helping out at various airshows over the years.b

Offline CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
as she said :) :)