Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Engineering / Re: So that's it then?
« Last post by ascot5046 on Today at 03:08:48 PM »
Surely if "they" continue to prevent the general public from seeing the aircraft in a museum, they are in breach of the stated aims of the Trust.

Back in the day, people were told to keep away from Finningley so as not to cause gridlock in and around the area.  I guess there aren't enough of us left now to mount a protest outside the airport to make this happen and force the press to investigate the shambles that is now an ongoing reality.  Pity that.
« Last post by dee on Today at 07:33:46 AM »
Its an absolute shambles ..It should never have ended up like this!! I'm so disgusted i'm almost speechless!!!
« Last post by Lew on February 24, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
Whats the point in applying the stickers and taking photos when no-one can actually physically get airside to view it, unless your one of the "special" gang.. (taken from UKArse):

After spending a few years with the team in hangar 3 when the spirit was alive it was great, now, its nothing more then a display board to line pockets which no-one (yet) can ever see.. Unless your part of an elite group that is.

The whole thing is a shambles. I feel sorry for the engineering team who put blood sweat and tears into 558 over the years and now to see it rotting outside is heartbreaking.
« Last post by Sad Sam on February 23, 2018, 07:10:31 PM »
Photos of the stickers.
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/names-under-the-wing-plaque.html

Yes, thanks for link Minty.

The pictures were taken shortly after the stickers ("Plaques"  ;D ;D) were applied so before any retrospective rectification may have been required.

I see Mr. Homer has been over on the UK Air Show forum biging up the quality of his workmanship "I can assure you the names plaques are made from high-quality 3M 'aircraft grade' vinyl, the same type used on commercial jets often flying in minus 30 celcius temperatures above 30,000 feet.

The whole idea of them falling off and being put back on by screws with washers is just ludicrous and you would have to wonder if such comments in posts are there for another purpose."

I am afraid that if Mr. Homer had applied the stickers to a commercial jet as he has to 558 he would be peeling them off and redoing the job.  In the pictures you can see there are bubbles under the stickers and the edges do not match.  Either 3M have supplied inferior grade vinyls as the aircraft is a non-flyer (I would not have thought so) or the application procedure has been inadequately carried out.  I have been working on an Air Malta Airbus this week and the vinyl which has been applied to that aircraft is of a superb quality - unlike the bodge job under the wings of 558.

And as for any other purpose in my posting - I only have one agenda which is to see 558 preserved (preferably as a flying Vulcan rather than a backdrop for a party venue)  On the other hand you have to question the motives of the trust management who only want to generate enough cash to continue paying the rent on the numerous offices, the salaries for the numerous staff (I see Mr. Straw has a new position in the trust according to his "Linkedin" profile) and I guess since the advent of the compulsory workplace pension enough for their pension contributions as well.

They are going to need every inch of 558's wings (and probably the fuselage and fin as well) to keep paying for that lot....
« Last post by planenut on February 23, 2018, 12:28:29 AM »
« Last post by dee on February 21, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »
Happy birthday Squadron Leader Peter Thomas
« Last post by minty4371 on February 21, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
It is Squadron Leader Peter Thomas's birthday today.  He is 92.
« Last post by jakspeed on February 21, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
She is nothing now but a CASH COW!! its disgusting >:D >:D

But they've got their wages to pay Dee!!! And nice warm offices to heat!!!

558 doesn't matter to them as long as she still pulls cash in  >:( >:( >:(
« Last post by dee on February 21, 2018, 08:19:09 AM »
She is nothing now but a CASH COW!! its disgusting >:D >:D
« Last post by minty4371 on February 20, 2018, 10:51:23 PM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10