FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: Goodbye to the Engineers  (Read 3029 times)

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Goodbye to the Engineers
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
I promised myself that i wouldn't post on this Forum again after the "Final Flight" debacle and the appalling way (in my opinion) that the Club committee was excluded from that event and the subsequent poor decisions made by the Trust hierarchy regarding the flawed funding model that has clearly failed us all ! However the time for recriminations is for others to mull over and this post and topic is purely to say a heartfelt "Thank You" to all the Engineers past,present and sadly departed who have made this wonderful journey possible!
I would like to wish those that are leaving 558 this week the very best in the future and thank you to you all !! you are the "REAL" heroes of the 558 story.

Goodbye and stay safe.

Mike Johnson
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to the Engineers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
Well said Mike. They have been amazing! And have always been very supportive of the Club.

Wishing them all a bright future. Will miss you all.
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »
If only to mark the fact that 'Mr Grumpy-Pants' has broken his silence :o I will join him in expressing thanks to our brilliant engineers.

I just wonder that if we have been given a little more notice, or just the option, people would have been willing to donate that little bit more to retain one or two of them during the hibernation.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline CLIFFORD

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
what can I say!   THANK YOU ALL.

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
Well said Mike!

Such a sad ending to what has been one hell of a ride......................

I'll add my heartfelt THANK YOU to all the wonderful engineers, without whom 558 would not have flown. And if she hadn't flown I wouldn't have met such a bunch of lovely people and made so many good friends.

And special thanks to Sam for all he's done for we meagre volunteers arranging such privileged access to the aircraft for us. Many of us have had unbelievable and unforgettable experiences on our cleaning escapades, no more so than Dee and I - Vulcan Scrubbers and damn proud of it! Thank you again Sam!

And thanks again to all the engineers for making us so, so welcome in the hanger.
Will miss you all and hope the future is good to you.

It's been a blast...................

Big, BIG hugs

Jax

x x x x x x x
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:40:20 PM by jakspeed »

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
I can only echo all of the above comments, thanks guys, you did 558 proud.

Very best wishes for the future for you all

andy
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
Not much to add to what has already been said in the previous posts........  :(

Without them - the project would never have got off the ground literally. To coin a Churchill phrase - Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Thanks for everything you have done over all the years. Good luck to you all.
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:11:59 AM »
Well said Mike!

Such a sad ending to what has been one hell of a ride......................

I'll add my heartfelt THANK YOU to all the wonderful engineers, without whom 558 would not have flown. And if she hadn't flown I wouldn't have met such a bunch of lovely people and made so many good friends.

And special thanks to Sam for all he's done for we meagre volunteers arranging such privileged access to the aircraft for us. Many of us have had unbelievable and unforgettable experiences on our cleaning escapades, no more so than Dee and I - Vulcan Scrubbers and damn proud of it! Thank you again Sam!

And thanks again to all the engineers for making us so, so welcome in the hanger.
Will miss you all and hope the future is good to you.

It's been a blast...................

Big, BIG hugs

Jax

x x x x x x x

:'( :'( :'(What Jax has said..So sorry that this has ended like this...Thankyou so much to all the Engineers..xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline frihjul92

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
Thanks for allyour hard work, very much appreciated.
Wishing you all the best.

Offline tabby

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »
Myself and Moira join in the heartfelt thanks to the engineers and will have happy memories of 558 over the years as well as of the friends we made particularly down the Old Bawtry Road.

Tabby

Offline Funtera

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Mach Loop
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
my sincere thanks in the jobs that You did and the amazing thing that YOU achieved ..
Without the Engineers working hard We would NEVER have had Our Lady back in the Skies..

so, Thank You .. I got to show My Son what My Dad showed Me .. Proud of You guys

Steve
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:33:01 PM by Funtera »

@funtera
EOS50D & EF 70-300mm IS USM Combo
Proud Owner of Haynes Manual H4831 Vulcan B2 Signed by Martin Withers
HATO

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
Sad times. Nothing to add to all the posts above - feelings mutual.

Offline fil cad

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »
I promised myself that i wouldn't post on this Forum again after the "Final Flight" debacle and the appalling way (in my opinion) that the Club committee was excluded from that event and the subsequent poor decisions made by the Trust hierarchy regarding the flawed funding model that has clearly failed us all ! However the time for recriminations is for others to mull over and this post and topic is purely to say a heartfelt "Thank You" to all the Engineers past,present and sadly departed who have made this wonderful journey possible!
I would like to wish those that are leaving 558 this week the very best in the future and thank you to you all !! you are the "REAL" heroes of the 558 story.

Goodbye and stay safe.

Mike Johnson
spot on Mike.

Offline ollie impus4

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
I may only be a humble foot soldier member and supporter, but my admiration for what the engineers achieved  - not far short of a miracle - is nonetheless unconditionally massive. And unless anyone knows any different, the project is unlikely to be surpassed for a very long time. Any other aircraft return to flight projects won't scratch the surface by comparison. Or is that challenge....

To be able to bring pleasure, pride and enjoyment to so many and over a long period and in so many places, is something truly special for anyone to be in position to do, but to do so from behind the scenes, in true unsung hero fashion, is even more remarkable.

Wishing you all the very best

Thank you. One and all.   

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »
Thank you all for your kind wishes, It really has been a blast.

In 2009 I joined the team as a temporary contractor to help out with the first winter service at Bruntingthorpe.  In 2017 the contract ended - I may well have set a new world record!

I have had a great time, I turned my hobby (I have been a club member since 2006/7) into my job, I met some great people and made some friendships that I will always treasure, and all the while I have had the noisiest bestest toy in the box to play with  ;D ;D

When we left 558 and 163 in hangar 0ne I was in tears (not helped by the manner of passing but that's another tale)  I feel we have let both down especially 163 as she has not been given a chance to tell what is a fantastic story.  I also had to put the Ranger "build a plane project" to bed and that really hurt as it meant I let the students and cadets who were the future and basis of the "Etna project" down very badly.

All good things come to an end.  Most of the last month has been spent pinging my cv around the ether and if it was not for 558 I would not have had a lot of the contacts to send it to.  This week some of the threads have come together and it looks like I may well be keeping busy doing what I want to do - looking after old aeroplanes and putting them back where they belong (in the air and not hidden in a dusty shed or at the back of an airfield rotting away)  When you hear what I've been upto I hope you will all smile and say "we helped him do that!"

Don't be good, keep smiling and look out for the little bloke with the big tash!
I'll never give up on the dream!