Author Topic: Throttle lever buttons  (Read 1481 times)

Offline allanthomas

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Throttle lever buttons
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:45:27 PM »
I sat in the pilot seat of the Avro Vulcan (cockpit experience) at the Avro Heritage Museum, Woodford last weekend (home of XM603). As a current commercial pilot I was fascinated and a little awed. However, it was only when looking at the photograph I took at the time (attached) that I became intrigued as to what the 'pinch' buttons on each side of throttles 1 and 4 actually did (as also the function of the buttons on the end of each throttle lever)?
I asked so many questions to the volunteer showing us the entire flight deck that I missed asking.....
Can anyone enlighten me please??

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle lever buttons
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:32:00 AM »
I think the buttons on the side were to release the auto pilot and the buttons on the end were relight buttons.

Offline allanthomas

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
Thanks Mayfly, that solves that mystery.......
I noticed a post/photo recently, that showed a 'mod' to a Vulcan control stick, an addition of an electrical button which is used to disconnect the autopilot (and would be thumb activated). This would then make it conform to 'modern' aircraft configuration - the big red button that gives the aircraft back to the pilot! Not sure where I saw this now - perhaps on XH558?
Thanks again for the information.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
Not red, but there is a big button facing the pilot.  Maybe a smaller 'talk' button on the side?  This is 558.