FAQ / Contact

Author Topic: Circular Runways  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Circular Runways
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Intriguing idea!

I had a quick check that it wasn't 1st April when I read this.....  ;D

Will circular runways ever take off?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39284294
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Offline ollie impus4

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Circular Runways
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »
I saw this and must confess had much the same thought. Surely better to develop aircraft that can take off vertically... with more than one or two seats mind. ( don't mean the rotary wing jobbies). Then you don't need runways at all. Or with big boosters for very short take offs and retro rockets to slow up on landing. The mind doth wander when you start to see ideas like this being talked about. I think he was serious though! Unlike me.

Offline PaulH2015

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
Vertical take off requires a huge amount of energy.  I don't know where 'less' noise comes from, more like the same amount but spread over a greater area.  'Greener' seems marginal.  Being able to avoid strong cross-winds would be safer.

Offline steve w

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
Presumably whoever thought up this idea had forgotten the fundamentals of taking off and landing into wind, never mind how much rudder work this would take...

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
I would have thought the suggestion that it will avoid being hit by a cross-wind would not be correct!

Depending how far around the circle it is necessary to travel on approach, surely you are guaranteed to encounter a cross-wind, whichever direction the wind is blowing from!  ???
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Online eddief

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:13:23 PM »
I spend a lot of my professional career assessing how folk line-up & descend on straight runways.  And this is with fairly stable headwinds & crosswinds (which go out of the door as you start turning at a constant rate).

Whoever thought this up has clearly never flown a real aeroplane...  Absolute 'la-la land' frankly.

Approaches & attempted landings on circular runways would be absolute carnage! (And I think I'm happy to be quoted on that).
985 posts on last forum - so I get the \'hallowed 1000\' for just 15 on this one (yippee!)

Offline ascot5046

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »
Yes, the piece should have been embargoed for release on 1st April

Online eddief

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 12:12:30 AM »
Oh - and failure of a critical engine at V1 (which one would it be though - rather depends which way we're going around the roundabout!)
985 posts on last forum - so I get the \'hallowed 1000\' for just 15 on this one (yippee!)

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »
An update to this story:

Circular runways: Engineer defends his proposal:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39643292
  Albert Einstein