Vulcan To The Sky - Forums

Vulcan To The Sky => Web Site Announcements => Topic started by: PA28 on April 07, 2011, 12:21:04 PM

Title: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: PA28 on April 07, 2011, 12:21:04 PM
Public Access at Robin Hood.
Please see the latest news section for interim arrangements ahead of any longer term developments.
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/189/ ... rport.html (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/189/82/Robin-Hood-Airport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)


Due to our recent operational move to Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport, the airport authorities tell us they are being inundated with telephone calls with regard to the possibilities of viewing XH558.

As mentioned in an earlier newsletter, negotiations on finding a permanent solution and home are still in session and details on progress will be announced just as soon as possible. The staff there know nothing more on developments to date, so whilst the interest is very encouraging, we need to ensure we do not become a nuisance.

In the meantime, the Trust are working closely with the management at Robin Hood to secure a temporary arrangement that will facilitate better viewing from the public areas of the terminal or the immediate surroundings.

Please do not contact the airport during this interim period.

Many thanks.

The Vulcan team.
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: jangor on April 07, 2011, 07:16:11 PM
Its okay to ask us here om the forums not to pester the airport, but how do you tell the hundreds (thousands?) of non club members not to pester them asking when can they go see 558 :?:
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: StAthan lecky on April 07, 2011, 08:17:47 PM
Quote from: "jangor"
Its okay to ask us here om the forums not to pester the airport, but how do you tell the hundreds (thousands?) of non club members not to pester them asking when can they go see 558 :?:

And more to the point,better viewing must surely mean a hangar environment and the restarting of the hangar tours,whilst I am sure that the trust is working to this end,an early solution to this issue is vital to fund raising for 558.

 :)

Mike
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: jangor on April 07, 2011, 09:38:26 PM
I totally agree with you Mike, the sooner all this is sorted the better for them and more importantly 558.

The sooner its all sorted, and with a stall in the hanger, and a shop in the terminal, then I can foresee the money coming in very quickly........... :D
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: MrTim on April 07, 2011, 09:41:16 PM
I think we can assume things are moving as fast as possible on this.
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: rusty on April 08, 2011, 12:08:44 AM
Remember this is a commercial airport with all the security problems of todays' world to consider so I am sure this will take some time to sort so let's be patient.

To get to informing non forum user perhaps a flyer in magazine would help
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: Sarah Abbott on April 08, 2011, 08:50:21 AM
Too late for the club mag as that is on it's way as we type. Not sure when the next Trust mailing is due out.
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: Nickolas on April 08, 2011, 09:16:42 AM
Might I suggest that another number is added to the airport 'press 1 for...........' system. so a pre recorded message can be relayed confirming the status and guiding the enquirer to the website.
1 it gets the human element out of the loop which will make the airport much happier,
2 it directs those who are still unaware of us to the website and potentially increased membership and funding.........

Nick
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: dee on April 08, 2011, 09:24:53 AM
Its very promising that people are pestering Finningley for info :D  Just have to be patient like Rusty says, it is an operating Airport. Good idea that Nick has suggested, surely  cant be too awkward to  put into operation?
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: Coastergirl on April 08, 2011, 09:45:36 AM
Quote from: "Nickolas"
Might I suggest that another number is added to the airport 'press 1 for...........' system. so a pre recorded message can be relayed confirming the status and guiding the enquirer to the website.
1 it gets the human element out of the loop which will make the airport much happier,
2 it directs those who are still unaware of us to the website and potentially increased membership and funding.........

Nick

Thats a fantastic idea, and I know from a previous job that to add an option in to an automated telephone system is not difficult at all.  You often have to re-set them if there is a long power cut, so it is made to be simple to do.
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: StAthan lecky on April 08, 2011, 09:50:07 AM
Quote from: "rusty"
Remember this is a commercial airport with all the security problems of todays' world to consider so I am sure this will take some time to sort so let's be patient.

To get to informing non forum user perhaps a flyer in magazine would help
It probably needs a similar approach to that of the BBMF which of course is located within a military environment with all the security problems ,access to the public from the "Landside" entrance with escorted visits to the aircraft without actualy breaching any "Airside" regulations.

Mike
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: Smudger565 on April 08, 2011, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: "StAthan lecky"
Quote from: "rusty"
Remember this is a commercial airport with all the security problems of todays' world to consider so I am sure this will take some time to sort so let's be patient.

To get to informing non forum user perhaps a flyer in magazine would help
It probably needs a similar approach to that of the BBMF which of course is located within a military environment with all the security problems ,access to the public from the "Landside" entrance with escorted visits to the aircraft without actualy breaching any "Airside" regulations.

Mike

I was thinking along the same lines Mike, it really does work down there at Conningsby on my past visits. I am not sure of the layout at the "New Home"  and where the hanger is they hope to use.

It all looks very promising I must say and if there are so many want to see her the revenue is there to be had  :D  :D  :D

PS
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: Swamspter on April 28, 2011, 01:05:51 AM
Quote from: "Smudger565"
I was thinking along the same lines Mike, it really does work down there at Conningsby on my past visits. I am not sure of the layout at the "New Home"  and where the hanger is they hope to use.

The thing about RAF Coningsby and BBMF is that they have an 'on tap' supply of 'free' security personnel. I'm not sure if you are aware, but there is a member of the Station Guard Force present with all the BBMF tours (at least there used to be). To facilitate this at an operating airport in the current climate, is probably going to be costly and therefore probably unlikely. Who knows they may figure something out, but I'm guessing for people to get up close and personal with the aircraft it's going to have to be outside the 'airside' environment and in a hangar.

That said, the current temporary arrangements are excellent.. and from what I saw this Easter weekend should prove mutually beneficial to both RHADS and 558, and a credit to both parties for getting it organised!  :)

It was great to see a Vulcan flying at Finningley again on Tuesday too! Got some nice pictures! :D
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: vulcanfan on May 01, 2011, 01:08:09 PM
Hello to everyone - I am a new member
I went to the viewing area and the currency flight take off
Good viewing place considering airport operational requirements
Brilliant to see take off but the pilot only used a small part of the runway and a really steep takeoff angle.
It would have beeen nice to have a little horizontal fly over.

Viewing is to May 2. Does anyone know if XH558 going to Abingdon from Doncaster and at what time it is due to appear at Abingdon.
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: northern monkey on May 06, 2011, 10:23:41 PM
Quote from: "vulcanfan"
Hello to everyone - I am a new member
I went to the viewing area and the currency flight take off
Good viewing place considering airport operational requirements
Brilliant to see take off but the pilot only used a small part of the runway and a really steep takeoff angle.
It would have beeen nice to have a little horizontal fly over.

Viewing is to May 2. Does anyone know if XH558 going to Abingdon from Doncaster and at what time it is due to appear at Abingdon.
Hi vulcanfan welcome to the forum, all the info you need will be in the events part of the board index. hope you enjoy the forum  ;)
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: jangor on May 06, 2011, 10:25:11 PM
Quote from: "northern monkey"
Quote from: "vulcanfan"
Hello to everyone - I am a new member
I went to the viewing area and the currency flight take off
Good viewing place considering airport operational requirements
Brilliant to see take off but the pilot only used a small part of the runway and a really steep takeoff angle.
It would have beeen nice to have a little horizontal fly over.

Viewing is to May 2. Does anyone know if XH558 going to Abingdon from Doncaster and at what time it is due to appear at Abingdon.
Hi vulcanfan welcome to the forum, all the info you need will be in the events part of the board index. hope you injoy the forum  ;)

4:15pm take off and back on pan at around 6pm...................... ;)
Title: Re: Public Access at Robin Hood
Post by: northern monkey on May 06, 2011, 10:38:29 PM
oh yeah it would help if i answered your question :oops: