Author Topic: Bid on a XH558 Engine Run  (Read 15322 times)

Offline Oberon

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Bid on a XH558 Engine Run
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:48 AM »
We got permission to allow visitors onto the Unit last Thursday.  We had, therefore, eight working days before the engine runs.  We would not have had time to sort out a raffle of any description and do all the mail shots to all the members of the club and get a winner out of the end of it in time for the run.

Note: we would have had to do a mail shot because not everyone in the club has access to a computer and if we hadn’t done a mail shot, then those people would have had a right to complain.

We thought it a good idea as it was easily managed and would raise much needed cash for the coffers in a short period of time and would give someone an opportunity to experience something that they will probably never forget.
I wonder if the BBC gets grief for auctioning items for Children in Need.  I for one am well chuffed that they raise such an amount of money for the charity, even though the price of the prize is well beyond my reach.

Maybe we can raffle the one that we will be having in March, at least we have ample time to sort it out.  And before anyone starts on the Trust, it was the Engineers who came up with the idea – guilty m’lud.  

Oberon
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »
Quote from: "bovril"
Quote from: "MrTim"
The fact is it has a value, otherwise people wouldn't have bid on it. So do they let someone come and see it for a tenner, or a grand?

only need a 100 enties and you have a grand!! and i bet you'd get more like 5K to 10k via raffle..

yes an individual pays a tenner, a grand just takes another opertunity away from the average vulcan fan.

still think the raffle would raise far more...
I don't disagree, but as I mentioned previously, we've had 2 raffles already this year and they take a bit of organising, and they probably have plans to do this on the next raffle. You can't just throw together a raffle just because you have a single prize like this.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
Quote from: "Oberon"
We got permission to allow visitors onto the Unit last Thursday.  We had, therefore, eight working days before the engine runs.  We would not have had time to sort out a raffle of any description and do all the mail shots to all the members of the club and get a winner out of the end of it in time for the run.

Note: we would have had to do a mail shot because not everyone in the club has access to a computer and if we hadn’t done a mail shot, then those people would have had a right to complain.

We thought it a good idea as it was easily managed and would raise much needed cash for the coffers in a short period of time and would give someone an opportunity to experience something that they will probably never forget.
I wonder if the BBC gets grief for auctioning items for Children in Need.  I for one am well chuffed that they raise such an amount of money for the charity, even though the price of the prize is well beyond my reach.

Maybe we can raffle the one that we will be having in March, at least we have ample time to sort it out.  And before anyone starts on the Trust, it was the Engineers who came up with the idea – guilty m’lud.  

Oberon

Thanks for that  :D  i know know why the auction route was taken :) i hope it goes well and raises loads

I was really just trying to point out, that there are many many many members that would love the chance (i would even though i have done it many times elswhere), and they arnt flush enough to pay £1000 for chance but may spend  and £1,£2,£5 or Tener for a chance :)
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
It raised £1,020.00 :shock:
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline RHP

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
I'll feel a lot happier once it's confirmed that the money has actually been paid  ;) .

Assuming no problems then that seems an excellent result  :) . Hopefully further engine runs can similarly be offered as incentives either through another auction, raffle or other scheme as deemed appropriate  :?:

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
Yes, that is the plan - offering different ways that "experiences" can be enjoyed.
You don't need vast wads of cash for a chance and it is fair to all pockets.

I'll be contacting the winning bidder tomorrow.

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
Great result.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!