Author Topic: 558 Lottery  (Read 4854 times)

Offline clemmence

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
558 Lottery
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
Apologies if you have heard me raise this before - time and time again- but surely we should promote the lottery more. The Christmas Appeal does not promote the lottery even though it encourages £5.58 monthly donations. As mentioned in the literature, 8000 @£5.58 with gift aid would raise nearly £700k each year. As well as a monetary prize perhaps we could offer winners a chance to get a guided tour of the aircraft?
So let's promote this more - particularly at the shows. Posters and a table specifically for the purpose alongside the other merchandise. I would be the first volunteer to man it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
Re: 558 Lottery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »
Lottery? Presume you mean the Flying Fund Draw, which as a draw isn't eligible for gift aid as far as I know. It was originally mooted for inclusion in the mailer, but it was felt it would be one message too many in what was already a densely packed mailshot.

Agree it should ideally be promoted more at shows, but if you've seen how hard the volunteers work (and how hard it is to get enough of them into the shows in the first place, with sometimes less than cooperative show organisers), then you'll appreciate they can't do everything.

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
I think it should have a dedicated page on here, which explains how it works, how to enter etc, and when the results are published there should be a link to it (or at least to the PDF).  At the moment it just says 'call Margaret on 0845 5046 558', which is very quaint and a little amusing :)
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline Stevee

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
Quote from: "scampton61"
Lottery? Presume you mean the Flying Fund Draw, which as a draw isn't eligible for gift aid as far as I know. It was originally mooted for inclusion in the mailer, but it was felt it would be one message too many in what was already a densely packed mailshot.

Agree it should ideally be promoted more at shows, but if you've seen how hard the volunteers work (and how hard it is to get enough of them into the shows in the first place, with sometimes less than cooperative show organisers), then you'll appreciate they can't do everything.

I assume that by 'less than cooperative show organisers', you mean in terms of providing free passes to volunteers in the village. A dedicated Flying Fund Draw merchandiser would cover the cost of paid entry in say the first six months of only one new ticket sold.

Offline clemmence

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
Sorry Scampton 61 if I caused offence - none intended. I know how hard the volunteers work being a volunteer myself. I am merely trying to suggest another "butterfly" avenue to consider. I do not know the rules on gift aid although I seem to have seen other organisations saying that "if you donate ... you will automatically be entered into a prize draw". Maybe that is a loop hole others have discovered!!

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
No offence taken clemmence, you raised valid points, I'm just giving the gen on why the FFD wasn't mentioned in the mailshot. The loophole's good tho, like that one  :D

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »
I suggested something similar before.  The bulk of your money being a donation (Gift Aid-able), and a small amount going to the draw to fund the prizes.    Probably a lot of aggro to sort out though, and I guess it's not been a priority.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline rusty

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
The Flying Fund was set up as a lottery under the gaming licence which allowed the raising of a quite a substantial sum, when I retired 2 years ago it was clearing just under the 6 figure limit and I am sure that the licence has been increased and  Margaret has refinded the admin over the years so that the income is much more now.  Lotteries are is not eligible for gift aid  and entering the  grey area of trying splitting into donation and amount into draw is strewn with pitfalls that can backfire.

:)
Honouring the Past , Inspiring the Future