Author Topic: The big push?  (Read 58696 times)

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
The big push?
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
OK, I may have missed something here, but wasn't/isn't there supposed to be a big push with some fundraising scheme that means we won't end up with another winter wondering if there will be enough money to keep the lads in Jaffa Cakes, never mind her Ladiness in the air?

I'm not having a go or poking around trying to get some sort of reaction out of someone, but it's amazing how fast the list of events 558 will be at is being ticked off - it only seemed like (and was) mere weeks ago that she first got back in the air.  Looking at the current list, we're about half way through the appearances, give or take.

The VV has been heaving every time I've visited it this year and seen it in pics from the shows, so hopefully business is doing well there.  The volunteers and organisers have done a great job there.  Also, 558 and her engineers have done us proud with only a single blip on what was a fairly intensive schedule around RIAT and Farnborough.

However, I was under the impression that there was going to be something else going on to really push the cause for 558 this year, shortly after her birthday?  Maybe there's been something and I've missed it, but the only things I can think of are the tours under the aircraft when she's been a static exhibit before/after a display (and they've proved immensely popular from what I've seen!) and the recent development of sticky logos that will resist being pulled off the bomb bay doors.

Can I ask what the plans are/were?  The best time to plug 558 is when she's doing her stuff, and with events like Bournemouth coming up where last year there was an outrageous crowd of something silly like 500,000 on the Saturday (I kid you not, it was apparently a World record figure over the four days) and 350,000 on the Sunday, and that's a huge audience.  Probably a third of whom came to see one aircraft.

I know that the committee and everyone else isn't sat about picking their noses and they're working hard to keep 558 flying, but it would be nice to have some reassurance that something is being worked on, and that we're not going to have another winter where all the supporters are wondering if she'll fly again, and the poor staff are wondering if this month's notice really is the last one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
Quote from: "speedy"

I know that the committee and everyone else isn't sat about picking their noses and they're working hard to keep 558 flying, but it would be nice to have some reassurance that something is being worked on, and that we're not going to have another winter where all the supporters are wondering if she'll fly again, and the poor staff are wondering if this month's notice really is the last one.

Club is doing it's bit organising volunteers and attending shows with our stands. I thik you're referring to the post-birthday appeal that the Trust is working on. My understanding is that this was nigh on ready to go around Farnborough time, so no doubt the Trust will launch soon and not repeat last year's much delayed fundraising appeal.

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline delta1

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
Fingers crossed as it's looking a bit quiet on the fundraising front at the moment. Please, Please let's not leave it to the last minute.

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
I echo these sentiments. The end of the season is rapidly approaching.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
wasnt there suppose to be a number of birthday events over the coming months?

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:49:49 PM »
Quote from: "leslie"
wasnt there suppose to be a number of birthday events over the coming months?

That's what I've been waiting to hear about.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
Taken from Dr Bobs email update 12 March 2010

The launch of our Annual Appeal for 2011, and other special events planned around XH558’s 50th Anniversary on 25th May, will be central to continuing this drive.

I thought at the time this meant the appeal was going to launched on May 25th, Now I assume it didn't take place then because 558 wasn't serviceable so could have caused a bit of a home goal, then I thought I heard it was going to happen at RIAT, however with only about 6 weeks [ish] left of the airshow season time is fast running out!!

Offline RHP

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gully"
[size=150]... so no doubt the Trust will launch soon and not repeat last year's much delayed fundraising appeal.

As already intimated above - halfway through the season and nothing (visible) as far as major fundraising (from the Trust) is concerned. All we seem to get are headlines and vague promisesm but any action comes in a panic and far too late as well as too little ... Let's see ... a ballpark figure of £1 million required at start of Winter servicing (say beginning of November). That's 12 weeks away  :o ... so are we nearly there yet  :?:

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
£1M?  I thought that last winter's stuff was the most expensive planned work between the present and 558's final retirement?
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »
well assuming we are spending everything that is being raised keeping her flying now, I doubt we are able to bank any funds, I wouldnt of thought there was much left over from last winters appeal Id say 1 million is a good guess to get her though service, hanger costs, test flights and ready to roll hopefully earlier in the season next year, remember its cost around £2 million per year anyhow

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 04:04:54 PM »
It'll probably not be a realistic idea { what with the Trust and the Club being two seperate entities } , but how about a "funding total" shown on either the "Donate" or "How To Help" pages ........essentially the same as we've had for the last few years with the various "last-minute panic" appeals , showing total funding required & funding raised to date , but on a year-round basis.
That way , people will know how things stand -- be they club members , casual visitors or even potential sponsors.
It should hopefully also avoid the usual problem { and complaint } that Club members et al are kept in the dark about funding issues until the last minute , when it suddenly turns into a panic to raise what appears to be the majority of funding required over a short period of about a month.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
The only issue I see there is that the funding required for the operation part of the season isn't exactly a finite figure.  For example, I bet the recent brake issue at Farnborough cost a packet, but it's not really something you can budget for as such.  I guess it would be possible to estimate the cost of all the displays, plus intermediate work, and add a bit for good measure, then have a chart showing the income from shows, merchandise etc.  However, as we are all too aware, displays are effectively a loss-maker, so it might make painful viewing.  However, perhaps a donations/sales figure for the year alongside an estimate of the current expenses might not be such a bad idea.  This does assume that anyone has all the figures in the same place and has time to sort them out for the website, of course.

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
[color=#FFGlad someone has asked this question, its been bothering me for some time now.  We dont want to be in the same situation as the previous years it wouldnt go down well at all.0000][/color]
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:09 PM »
The only issue I see there is that the funding required for the operation part of the season isn't exactly a finite figure.
True for unforseen problems , but the usual "annual operating costs" figure bandied around is in the £1--£1.5 million mark.
I'm not saying it should include a breakdown of funding requirements , but rather that it should be along the lines of the recent Appeals totals , namely : " We require £X .... so far , we have raised £Y "
After all , we used to have pie-charts showing a rough breakdown of individual operating costs & predicted income during previous Appeals.

This does assume that anyone has all the figures in the same place and has time to sort them out for the website, of course.
Isn't that what they pay accountants for ??  :lol:  :mrgreen:
The Trust should know what income it has --- and I don't mean the usual "anticipated income for the year" figures , but rather the cold hard "this is what we have received to date" figures.
I would like to think that the Club know how much they have raised that they intend to donate to the Trust {  ;) } ..... but this would not be added to the "Income raised" total until it has been donated to the Trust.
The "total raised" figure need not be updated on a daily bases - weekly should suffice .
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »
There have indeed been many things the Trust have been working on and I know Dr. Pleming is working on an update to be published this Friday.
As to what has been done... there are clues about all over the place:

New Website: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
New Forum: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/phpBB3/
New Merchandise and Shop: http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/
New Sponsorship Drive: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/downloads ... ure-v4.pdf

As to the major push, seems the foundations have been built with all of the above and something has been going on in and outside, the normal aviation circles, and no doubt will be detailed further in the update.

Regards,
Ian.