Author Topic: The big push?  (Read 67027 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Panel 10

  • Regular User
  • *****
  • Posts: 245
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:57:44 PM »
I was wondering if and what financial support Goodwood, RIAT and Farnborough had attracted, mmmmmmm!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
-----o00o----˚(_)˚----o00o-----

Ooooo ello

[size=150]Wot![/size] no spam

Offline wcg

  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 3688
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
Quote from: "PA28"
There have indeed been many things the Trust have been working on and I know Dr. Pleming is working on an update to be published this Friday.
But will this update include hard figures { if past newsletters are an indication , probably not } ??
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Smudger565

  • Club Member
  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 1154
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 10:36:41 AM »
Quote from: "PA28"
There have indeed been many things the Trust have been working on and I know Dr. Pleming is working on an update to be published this Friday.
As to what has been done... there are clues about all over the place:


As to the major push, seems the foundations have been built with all of the above and something has been going on in and outside, the normal aviation circles, and no doubt will be detailed further in the update.

Regards,
Ian.

I read what you are saying Ian :)  I bet there are plenty of members shaking their heads saying Oh No not again :(  
We do not want to be taken by surprise again once the hanger doors close on another season. I hope that it is all in hand, the engineers must all be hoping as well that the idea's and "Big Push" is going to happen in the next few weeks (Please) let us know soon, not after Christmas

Keep the Faith and we always do :D  :D

PS
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »



You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline speedy

  • Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • *
  • Posts: 2728
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
Re: The big push?
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
Hopefully it's like restoring coaches at the railway.  We always rib people about not doing anything because there's basically a shell there with very little visual progress.  However, that's because they are busy sorting out all the bits which you often don't see them doing.  Then all of a sudden, all the bits are ready and suddenly there seems to be a tremendous difference in the apparent work rate, even though there isn't - it's just that we can now see what they were doing when we alleged they were twiddling their thumbs.  I've always like the swan analogy.  What you see from the out of the water is a creature gracefully and gently paddling up the river.  But to do it, the legs are thrashing away under the water where they aren't seen.  Hopefully, 558s legs are well on their way downstream!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline leslie

  • Club Member
  • Serious User
  • *****
  • Posts: 769
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
So the new newsletter is out (Your thoughts?), a mention about a yearly appeal,what is this new appeal launched at Farnborough? Monthly update on figures about amounts raised, so assuming the 50th appeal is this years appeal how much have we raised towards the 1 million target figure? No news on a sponsor as yet, talk about the new mission to inspire the young ( which I always though was the mission) We are fast running out of airshows with a captive audience to target, in a month she will be back in a hanger and the vast majority of the population will forget about her, if the management get the funding wrong this time she wont be flying on 2011 in my opinion
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Harrier1980

  • phpBB Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
I have kept away from the forum, because to be honest the whole situation just winds me up. and the latest update.... same ol' Blah I am afraid.

Yes, I know everyone works hard, and it is a great achievement etc. etc. but it is becoming obvious that the business plan( a business is what it is, regardless of 'charity') is not working.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline wcg

  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 3688
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 03:04:39 PM »
My thoughts on the Newsletter.......
Looking at the results of the Winter Appeal, we can see that fewer supporters are coming forward with donations, this despite the fact that XH558 was seen by far more people in 2009 than at any time since 1992!  We are clearly not yet getting the right message out to a wide-enough audience.
Err......it's called a recession !! The simple fact is that many supporters simply cannot afford to give money { or as much money } to appeals any more.
There was no involvement of a national newspaper , unlike the previous year's Appeal.
There are almost curtainly several ex- & current Club Members and supporters who are { or are becoming } disgruntled with the Trust { for various reasons } or the simply fed up with funding "failures" / last-minute appeals.

All donations, whether they be monthly or one-off, will go towards the Appeal, and we will publish the amount of money raised every month.
When ??
Define "donations" -- will it just be income from the general public , or will it include actual { rather than projected } income from all sources ??

It’s all very well setting up an Appeal, but we need to tell everyone about it......invested in a much more extensive media and advertising campaign....with the goal of promoting XH558 and the Trust to a far larger audience, importantly outside the traditional aviation enthusiast circles.
Has any attempt been made to involve a national newspaper , or has this been concidered & discounted ??
What about advertisments in local newspapers in the lead-up to '558 appearing at particular venues ??
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Smudger565

  • Club Member
  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 1154
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »
Quote from: "wcg"
My thoughts on the Newsletter.......
Looking at the results of the Winter Appeal, we can see that fewer supporters are coming forward with donations, this despite the fact that XH558 was seen by far more people in 2009 than at any time since 1992!  We are clearly not yet getting the right message out to a wide-enough audience.
Err......it's called a recession !! The simple fact is that many supporters simply cannot afford to give money { or as much money } to appeals any more.
There was no involvement of a national newspaper , unlike the previous year's Appeal.
There are almost curtainly several ex- & current Club Members and supporters who are { or are becoming } disgruntled with the Trust { for various reasons } or the simply fed up with funding "failures" / last-minute appeals.

All donations, whether they be monthly or one-off, will go towards the Appeal, and we will publish the amount of money raised every month.
When ??
Define "donations" -- will it just be income from the general public , or will it include actual { rather than projected } income from all sources ??

It’s all very well setting up an Appeal, but we need to tell everyone about it......invested in a much more extensive media and advertising campaign....with the goal of promoting XH558 and the Trust to a far larger audience, importantly outside the traditional aviation enthusiast circles.
Has any attempt been made to involve a national newspaper , or has this been concidered & discounted ??
What about advertisments in local newspapers in the lead-up to '558 appearing at particular venues ??

Now do not start shouting if i have got this wrong  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

I thought during the depths of winter when we were tryiing to get the money to see her through her winter service etc , someone on a thread mentioned the national press saying " It was old news trying to save her" and they had done their part in previous years to raise awareness :(

Didn't it mention in this last press release they were doing full page spreads in various magazines, I cannot remember if the mentioned FHM though!!!! It is read by plenty of younf people then the fathers read it ;)  ;)  

I know what you are saying re the Trust and why people are becoming fed up with them, I mentioned meeting them as well as the crew/ engineers I have never seen them only on DVD's saying how they pulled it off again. It would be nice for 1 or 2 to come to the AGM :)  :)

Oh well you can shout now :lol:  :lol:

PS
 :o  :o  :o
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »



You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline upandaway

  • Regular User
  • *****
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
I've read the newsletter and it seems to be the same old same old  :roll:
All the supporters are doing what they can when they can but it's clearly not enough to keep the show on the road or should I say in the sky ;)
We need large sponsorship and we have not got it yet.
It appears the panic button will be pushed again and a little earlier might help.  Can I suggest the end of September  ;)  :(

Arthur
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Never give up !

Offline Mayfly

  • Club Member
  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 1460
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »
I think even September is too late  - October is when the winter servicing needs to start to ensure that she is serviceable for the start of the season in MAY.

558 must speak for herself when better than when she is in the air? - the message needs to be

'IF you were moved by seeing her fly today then we need your help for her to fly tomorrow' [next year]

I see no problem with asking the public for support, without a big sponsor how else is she going to be funded - It's how & when they are approached that's important.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline wcg

  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 3688
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »
Quote from: "Smudger565"
I thought during the depths of winter when we were tryiing to get the money to see her through her winter service etc , someone on a thread mentioned the national press saying " It was old news trying to save her" and they had done their part in previous years to raise awareness :(
True enough.......I just thought that if the Trust pushed the "50th Birthday" aspect or the "Farnborough Initiative" , rather than the usual "give us money or we're doomed" approach , that they may attract some interest .
Quote
Didn't it mention in this last press release they were doing full page spreads in various magazines, I cannot remember if the mentioned FHM though!!!! It is read by plenty of younf people then the fathers read it ;)  ;)

And you could add Loaded & Nuts !! Or "car mags" that the chavs { sorry , "discerning youth of today" } read , such as Max Power or the various "one make" mags aimed at various Japmobiles , Corsas , Clios , etc. ....... Or are they seen as "not the right image" ??
Hmmmm........how about getting Playboy to do a feature !!  :o  After all , they've done articles about various cars & aircraft in the past { as well as a very good feature on German WW2 U-Boat Aces in an issue about 20 years ago  ;)  }
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline wcg

  • Expert User
  • *****
  • Posts: 3688
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
Out of interest......
Is anyone in a position to say how much of a difference in fundraising , compared to last year , the new airshow commentary has made at individual events ??
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline upandaway

  • Regular User
  • *****
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Quote from: "Mayfly"
I think even September is too late  - October is when the winter servicing needs to start to ensure that she is serviceable for the start of the season in MAY.

558 must speak for herself when better than when she is in the air? - the message needs to be

'IF you were moved by seeing her fly today then we need your help for her to fly tomorrow' [next year]

I see no problem with asking the public for support, without a big sponsor how else is she going to be funded - It's how & when they are approached that's important.

Yes Mayfly I agree with you, September probably is too late.  Today might be a better time  ;)
We have Bournemouth next week with more than likely the largest audience of the year (I was there last year and it was staggering)  so can somethig more not be made of this  :?:

Arthur
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Never give up !

Offline 10680

  • Club Member
  • Serious User
  • *****
  • Posts: 412
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »
I don't know whether it has been in local papers for earlier shows but something in next week's Brighton/Shoreham and Bournemouth papers, Surrey papers the week after.... The person, people, companies might just read it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline upandaway

  • Regular User
  • *****
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
Quote from: "10680"
I don't know whether it has been in local papers for earlier shows but something in next week's Brighton/Shoreham and Bournemouth papers, Surrey papers the week after.... The person, people, companies might just read it.

Yes you are right.  Thinking about Bournemouth, maybe the success of last years Air Festival could be used to better effect to promote this years event.  Attendance records were set I believe and I'm sure a great time was had by all who were there.  It's time to jog peoples memory about the day out or w/e they had.  It's a great venue and a terrific airshow.  If people are told about the funding problems (your Vulcan needs your help to continue flying etc etc) they might just come along and help.  It's people power we need and this is an excellent opportunity  ;)

Arthur
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Never give up !