Author Topic: The big push?  (Read 71797 times)

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
Re: The big push?
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »
I wonder if Farnborough, RIAT and Waddo count as three of those events?  Dunno if it was big events that 'we' were doing, or big events 558 was going to....
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2010, 10:31:40 AM »
Quote from: "Topsy"
Quote from: "Mayfly"
On another tack wasn't there an item a couple of months ago that there were to be 8??? big events - has anyone seen any more about this - or was I dreaming?
No you weren't dreaming. It was called something like '5 months, 5 big events' on the homepage, but disappeared some time ago.

Ah thats right! Thanks perhaps I'm more sane than I thought!! :lol:

I got the impression that whatever they were, they were in addition to airshows and didn't necessarily mean 558 would be there - however I could have got the wrong end of the stick.

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2010, 05:06:44 PM »
There were and still are things in the planning, away from some of the Major Air Shows, but certainly, I can list some major activities that have already been done as part of those events everyone wishes to pin a number on:

I think the reference was removed off the Home Page in the Site re-build, as some had already been actioned, while timescales of others also slipped far longer than anticipated by external factors, meaning it was difficult to give a definitive launch date, and hence - tricky to promote.

Off the top of my head:

1. New Web Site Build - here for all to see.
2. The Farnborough Initiative - Including  "Be Part of It!"  (Still on the front page)
3. A major advertising campaign in 'quality' Magazines during July (detailed in a recent update off Dr. P)
4. New Newsletter Service (about to launch next week) - nice and jazzy and informative, like the Home Page look. (Chicken & Egg - we have to have the look and technological back up, and a lot of work has gone into sorting various databases)
5. An event/competition that was planned for 2010, but because of legal issues and red tape to address, this will now possibly happen in 2011.
(I can't possibly comment more on that, because the prizes would have been stunning!)
6. A Grand Auction of parts, Artworks and other items that I am currently working on, for late season (October Event on ebay)
7. Another event still in planning..... (......Did I mention a Members' Day at all !!!)
8. Another event still in planning, but based around Children in Need.
9. A fly-in at Coventry to benefit 'Help for Heroes' and raise our profile.
10. Another event still in planning.... but based on email marketing to our own and friendly party databases.

There's 10, although there are a few more in various stages, and of course, no doubt will be revealed as time goes on.
(Does a new Forum count as another?)
Then of course, we had/have the Birthday Card Signing, The Birthday Video, The New Merchandise Store, The Text Donation service, promoted over the PA at most events, and of course, a very active Air Show presence on the ground by Club and Trust, with far more stands than any other season and far higher stocks and sales of Merchandise. I know, because I have had a job keeping up with demand of supply!

Rest assured, both from  the Club and Trust aspect, if we can possibly make "promotional mileage" out of something, then it has been looked into and will be launched just as soon as sensible to do so. As mentioned above by others, some things take longer than we would ideally like.

I think that can settle some worries as to if a BIG PUSH has been going on!

Regards,
Ian.

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »
I think the main problem with the 5 big events thing was that they weren't ever listed so no-one really had an idea what the big events were for sure.

Perhaps if we'd had the new website listed as a 'June event' it would have been easier to keep track of.
I'm not criticising your efforts in any way, but until you listed the events in your post above I really couldn't fathom what they all were. As it had gone from the homepage it was easy just to think they'd been canned.

Glad to see that there's still plenty going on behind the scenes though.  :)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
Text Donation service ?? ....... errr , wasn't that brought in at the begining of August 2009 ?? ;)  :D
"The Farnborough Initiative" ..... so what exactly happened ?? The only thing I've seen mentioned is the "Be Part of It!" scheme.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Stevee

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »
I too was beginning to think that I had imagined the 'Five Big Events' planned for this year. PA28's list does give an insight into the impressive amount of work going on behind the scenes but, and this is I know is purely my interpretation, I'm struggling to find five big events in there. I expected major media events that would be aimed at the wider public etc linked to and celebrating XH558's birthday during the flying season. A lot of the list is on going, were sorely needed or are directed towards aviation enthusiasts who are probably already aware of XH558.

The list does hint at things that are planned but haven't as yet come to fruition for various reasons.

I've been a member of the club for many years and along the way have there have been many promises made, some to entice donations, that haven't been fulfilled. There are good and genuine reasons for this. The members day has been hard to organise due to the very fact that so many people flock to see XH558 flying at every opportunity. It was found impossible to put donators names on to the bomb bay door. (I appreciate they are on a banner but I've never seen it. When I asked at Fairford it was 'in the van in a box somewhere and couldn't be found.) Now this year there were going to be these five events which have not all happened.

If the club/trust can not for whatever reason fulfill the promises that it has itself made, can it not please, make more effort to either do what it can to keep the very people on whom we are constantly told the club depends informed on what the reasons are or to ensure that when something else is put in place it is seen through.

What I could have said in a nutshell, has been said many times before - MORE INFORMATION PLEASE!

(I know that everyone involved in the club and trust is very busy and inevitably not everything can would ideally be done, can be done. Do we need a push aimed at getting more club members involved in the club admin to share the work load?)

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
Quote from: "Stevee"

(I know that everyone involved in the club and trust is very busy and inevitably not everything can would ideally be done, can be done. Do we need a push aimed at getting more club members involved in the club admin to share the work load?)

The Club is always looking for active volunteers to support what we do, but within your list above there is only one matter that is for the Club to arrange: the Members' Day. The other elements are Trust-based.

The challenge of arranging the Members' Day is the subject of another thread, so I won't open that up here - suffice to say that we continue to explore options to find one that works for the Club, Trust and CAA. As far as I am aware, this is the only promise the Club has made that is yet to be fulfilled and it is not for the want of trying on the part of past and current committee members.

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
Of all the promises made by club and trust, the most important one was kept, you have a flying Vulcan. now go and have a beer and be happy. :D
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »
Just read the latest update on the Website {  http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/115/ ... -2010.html } ........
I think it will take more than a beer to be happy ---- Don't think even a bottle of "Black Seal 151'" will achieve that !!  :(
{ Oops ..... better watch out , or I'll be accused of "Doom-mongering" again !!  ;)  :twisted: }
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
So is it to late?

3 weeks money left according to the news from Jersey.

Have we missed the boat?

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
Quote from: "leslie"
So is it to late?

3 weeks money left according to the news from Jersey.

Have we missed the boat?

I was not aware that we are `that low` on funds....................... :o

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
Quote from: "jangor"
Nobody knows, apart from the Trust.  Hope we are told soon.
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »
Quote from: "minty4371"
Quote from: "jangor"
Nobody knows, apart from the Trust.  Hope we are told soon.

Just going on the info from this video.
http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonli ... ?id=490775

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:41 AM »
I am sorry if this offend's anybody but i beleave club member's who faithfully support XH558 should not be told about this crisis through the media.....it is more than a little discourteous ....Out   at shows and in the background club member's put thousand's of hour's of free time  in and put there private lives on hold  and have done this in previous years it is not the way to encourage them for the future..To get the best from people you have to take them with you and tell them of the problems before they get to this stage......

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »
Quote from: "bigmike67"
I am sorry if this offend's anybody but i beleave club member's who faithfully support XH558 should not be told about this crisis through the media.....it is more than a little discourteous ....Out   at shows and in the background club member's put thousand's of hour's of free time  in and put there private lives on hold  and have done this in previous years it is not the way to encourage them for the future..To get the best from people you have to take them with you and tell them of the problems before they get to this stage......

Indeed. Check out how the Bloodhound Project is addressing their financial difficulties - all very open and refreshing! (Thanks to Mrs. A for pointing me towards Bloodhound's site and Facebook presence).

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary