Author Topic: The big push?  (Read 71807 times)

Offline bigmike67

• Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: The big push?
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »
I think Mystic Megg is no longer employed by the lottery people perhap's we can ask her for a reading on the future... :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2010, 04:49:11 PM »
An article here from Dr P suggesting they need £400,000 by the end of October. http://www.industrytoday.co.uk/aerospace/
Not quite sure how they'll achieve that sum if that's relying purely on public donations!  :shock:

Something else that startled me somewhat is this:
The Trust hopes to fly the aircraft for at least two more display seasons, including the year of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, which is also the 60th anniversary of the first flight of the Vulcan and the 30th anniversary of its heroic role in the Falklands conflict. "The airframe has limited time before it will no longer be possible to renew its Permit to Fly," explains Dr Pleming.
Now I thought we had (money permitting) four years left. This article seems to be suggesting only two!  :o
Hope that's not the case!

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »
£400,000 by the end of October? :o   That works out at just less than £13,000 per day. :o
I wonder when we will get the email asking for the money?
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:25 PM »
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline Joseph

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2010, 10:05:30 PM »
Quote from: "minty4371"
£400,000 by the end of October? :o   That works out at just less than £13,000 per day. :o
I wonder when we will get the email asking for the money?

To be precise it is £10256.41 over 39 days

achievable? Yes

Easily? NO

So lets all buckle to and empty our wallets and purses etc
Home every night! no more overnights in strange beds

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »
Just fired this latest article off to the local Echo - to get the news spread further afield to the masses.

Suggest you all do the same... time is not on our side (again)  :roll:
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:57 AM »
Quote from: "Pujgnie"
Just fired this latest article off to the local Echo - to get the news spread further afield to the masses.

Suggest you all do the same... time is not on our side (again)  :roll:

Yes I agree, will do the same for the Southern echo ( I hope they do not get fed up of us every year)

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline upandaway

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2010, 09:10:20 AM »
I think that now more than ever we need to broadcast the need for cash on the TV.  Sky and or BBC News 24 have carried the story in the past and I'm sure could do so again.
I remember a reporter all over '558 at Bruntingthorpe during the restoration telling the story to the world.  We have to get the word out far and wide and surely a five minute piece repeated during the day would have a huge impact.

Arthur
Never give up !

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
Its getting them to do it that is the problem. Ive said over and over that 5 minutes on the One Show would be amazing for us but how to get it on there??? Perhaps if some of you try to phone them or email (but dont overdo it please!!!!) There must be a way and Ive even offered to do things in public like TV (what a thought and before you say it  I mean speak up..nothing else!!).......although Sarah F did suggest we tie ourselves naked to the Houses of Parliament!!!!! :o  :o  :oops:  :lol:

Try calling and asking is all I can suggest but be courteous at all times please.
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
I thought the idea (as per title of the thread) was we wouldn't end up in this situation again, never mind two years on the trot?  The last but one time the aircraft appears in public is NOT the time to suddenly announce to the world that £400K is needed in five weeks!!  For months (if not even before the first flight this year), people have been asking what will be needed for a successful winter, and the silence has been deafening.  Visitors to the stand(s) at the shows have all been blissfully unaware that the money runs out at the end of the flying season, and nowhere was it spelled out in big letters that every penny would be neeed for next year.  Most people that asked me directly about next year were taken aback when I suggested 558 was at present only guaranteed to finish this year, and most of those subsequently put some pennies in the pot.

I wonder how much more could have been raised over the last few months if those who saw her in the air were aware at the time that things were looking bleak again?  Obviously you can't be too negative with publicity, but I really do feel that the true extent of the situation (or at least a pointer towards it) should have been made far more apparent to the general public, never mind the membership.  I'm staggered by the quoted figure, I was under the impression that apart from a general wash and brush up, so to speak, there wasn't anything significantly costly on the agenda for the winter that might not have been covered or beg and borrow-able.

Why has it been left so late to tell everyone?  Again??
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline RHP

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
I agree with you Speedy. I think the nearest thing we have to an explanation is from EddieF who answered a similar missive from me here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=551

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »
Quote from: "speedy"
IVisitors to the stand(s) at the shows have all been blissfully unaware that the money runs out at the end of the flying season, and nowhere was it spelled out in big letters that every penny would be neeed for next year.  Most people that asked me directly about next year were taken aback when I suggested 558 was at present only guaranteed to finish this year, and most of those subsequently put some pennies in the pot.

I have only been to Dunsfold this year so I cannot speak about the other but.......

The commentor at Dunsfold told all the public on both days that money was urgently needed and was running out at the end of September, we on the VV stand told all people the money was running out so.....You tell the people then they just ok!!! & walk past the bucket without putting anything in the pots  :x  :x

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »
Quote from: "Smudger565"

I have only been to Dunsfold this year so I cannot speak about the other but.......

The commentor at Dunsfold told all the public on both days that money was urgently needed and was running out at the end of September, we on the VV stand told all people the money was running out so.....You tell the people then they just ok!!! & walk past the bucket without putting anything in the pots  :x  :x

PS

Well, apparently the buckets raised over £800 on the first day (explains why my arm nearly fell off!).  I got about £50 just by walking the bucket down the edge of the member's enclosure as she left.  However, I do feel that the true scale of the situation wasn't made as apparent as it might have been.  But, as I've said before, how far can you go before people wonder if it's not just a wasted donation?  My point is that according to stats on the appearances, over 1 MILLION people have witnessed her in person this year at the shows, weather permitting for Bournemouth it would probably have been double that.  Yes, Sean did a great job, as always, of explaining the money pit that our girl is, but that's not quite the same as telling everyone that of the £1-2M a year required, there was an incoming shortfall of £400K at the end of the season.  I wonder if he was even told, or if at that stage anyone really knew for sure?

It's just so frustrating to be back where we were a year ago, or more realistically, last Feb.  While it would be tragic if 558 has to retire after such a brief spell back in the air, the people who it will really hurt are Taff, Sam and their crew, who I suspect will once again be preparing to get their notice.  That's hardly a just reward for all their effort and hospitality over the past year.

We cannot hope for another miracle.  The bequest that saved 558 in the spring was the only reason (IMHO) we even got to see her this year.  If this year has been the big push, then now we need the XXXXXL push.  The Blades auction is a good start, hopefully some publicity from that.  Perhaps in hindsight something like it could have been arranged where they were both due to appear, but then making something like this too frequent would reduce the appeal.

We need money, fast, without creating an air of doom and gloom about the prospects.  Anyone got any good ideas??   :?:
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline upandaway

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Well as I said earlier, we need to get '558 onto the television in some shape or form.  However, I believe this has to come from the Trust and not from hundreds of supporters bombarding them with the same old story.  Can we assume this has already been attempted and if not why not ?

Arthur
Never give up !

Offline upandaway

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 12:39:09 PM »
How about a parade through London with the large model Vulcan.  That would be sure to gain publicity.

Arthur
Never give up !