Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 28309 times)

Offline Oberon

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
Help Needed
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
We have a requirement to do some cleaning in the bomb bay area and rather than take a couple of people off their primary task of servicing the aircraft, we thought maybe a couple of volunteers would like to help us out.

The work must be carried out on a weekday (Monday to Thursday) as we have a day off on Saturday and we do the hangar tours on Sundays.  Personnel must be in possession of a pair of safety boots and preferably a set of overalls, but we can provide the latter if required.  You will have to make your own way to and from RAF Lyneham and must be in possession of a current passport or photo driving license.

Anyone interested in helping out and getting their hands dirty, please PM me with dates when you may be available.
(Free coffee /  tea will be provided and unlimited access to engineering Jaffa Cakes will be considered).

Oberon
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
Any deadline for this to be completed ?

Offline Intake

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
My PM is in fingers crossed! Jaffa cakes at the ready! :lol:
You are not learning much when your lips are moving.

Offline jetman65

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »
This is an ecellent idea to involve club members with a chance to get their hands dirty on 558. I feel absolutely gutted because I've just had a major Knee op and will be out of action for the next six weeks, otherwise I would have jumped at a chance like this. Hopefully you will do something similar in the future and  I would be honoured to help clean her up
Alan

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
I would jump at the chance, but alas, at 330 miles round trip, I am too far away to do there and back in a day........... :(

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
Quote from: "jangor"
I would jump at the chance, but alas, at 330 miles round trip, I am too far away to do there and back in a day........... :(
You and me both, Jangor!  If the move to Finningley were to ever happen.....!!   ;)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
pm'd to say i'm happy to get down and help clean
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline Oberon

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
Awaiting info from other sources at the mo.  Will contact you as soon as I know anything.

Many thanks

Oberon

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
I would have jumped at the chance to get my "Hands dirty Oberon" but I am due to go away in a week & half and I promised the "Better half some days out" Lyneham was on the list but she guess why ;)  ;)  ;)

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Quote from: "Wizzy"
Quote from: "jangor"
You and me both, Jangor!  If the move to Finningley were to ever happen.....!!   ;)

I could be there polishing 558`s wheels etc.........
 :lol:

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reedsom.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »
Blimey If it was half term I could bring a bus full of Air Cadets......... There would be blood spilt to do that job (and that's just the staff).

Nickolas
Patron Saint of \'The Winter Festival\', Christmas to you, me and those in the REAL world.

God Helps them that Help Themselves but God Help them that gets Caught Helping Themselves

Chief Constable of the Off Topic Police.....

3083 posts on the last forum............

Offline 10680

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Do you have any dates in mind? I have the boots and overalls, but go skiing in a week's time.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
Please don't think I'm being facetious , but.....
Has concideration been given into turning this into a fundraising opportunity { probably too late this time around , but what about in the future } ??
What I mean is :  Set it up on the E-bay site or something as an Auction -- { 'X' number of places to help "work on XH558" }...there are probably quite a few people out there who would happily pay to do this { after all , people readily seem to bid for old bits of '558 ! }....could even throw in some photos of them working and / or a signed certificate.
Go on .... now it'll probably be told it would be impractical due to insurance requirements or something.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
Not entirely sure people would be willing to pay to donate their time and effort as well as pay to actually get there... but you never know.

For the record, yes, I paid a silly amount of money for one of the wing spar plates.  Yes, I have volunteered my services in cleaning herself, or doing any other job that requires unskilled or very lightly trained labour.  Would I pay to be able to do it as well?  To be honest, no.  200 miles is five gallons of petrol, plus potential accommodation to be able to arrive at a sensible time on site in a sensible state of awareness.  I am very, very happy to donate my time and effort to the cause and incur the costs of doing so, but I think actually paying for the priviledge might be a step too far.  Well, for me it would be, anyway!  Plus, the fee for doing so would erode into my Jaffacake budget for the lads.... lol
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Pendlemac

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 01:42:20 AM »
Quote from: "speedy"
Not entirely sure people would be willing to pay to donate their time and effort as well as pay to actually get there... but you never know.

Well.

One thing the guys at work can't get their heads around is what I do on odd weeks during the year.

Drive from Pendle down to the Midlands ( or Mid-Wales ), spend a week re-building a canal with the Waterway Recovery Group and pay them around £50 for the privilege!  :)

( The money is a contribution to accomodation hire and food costs. )

Getting back on topic, I'm also locationally challenged for doing the cleaning job but I will get down for a hangar tour at some point.  :D
Vulcan, airport and canal restoration pics here :-

http://http://www.pendlesider.me.uk/coppermine/index.php