Author Topic: Updating the 'Who's Who pages  (Read 28664 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Updating the 'Who's Who pages
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
Actually Rachel we (the engineers) have no way to update these pages.

I was not aware they had even been transferred from the old site and had long ago given up checking back to see if my name or details were there.

Give up?  If I believed in giving up I would be somewhere else by now.

PMT Gregg?  You have no idea.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
Quote from: "Sad Sam"
PMT Gregg?  You have no idea.

3 sister, 4 daughters a mother, a ex-wife.....i sooooo know what it's like! :o  :lol:
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline Coastergirl

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:46 PM »
Actually Rachel we (the engineers) have no way to update these pages.

...because it isn't your job.

Give up?  If I believed in giving up I would be somewhere else by now.

That's great! So lets not accept second best with the website pages... lets find a way to make it more accurate and up to date.

Regards
Rachel

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »
this is getting a bit :(

from the way i'm reading this Coastergirl is not having a go at anyone and is just pointing out the that the site contains out of date info.
with any webite the info on it must be kept up to date. ie. all links must work and info must be as up to date as possible.

for some Vulcan fans the only access to info on the their Vulcan is the news letters and the website ;so  info has to be as acurate and up to date as possible.

what i cant see is who is resposible for the site? the club or the vttst?

if my memory is correct the site is built and hosted for free by the website author, but its not his resposiblity for the info; after all he can only put up the info he is given.

so my question who is responsible for the site? if club i'm sure they can get the website designer/author to nock up the changes ( i have to do this through Damien for 655's, thanks Damien). if its the vttst can the club take over the role?
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »
Quote from: "bovril"
this is getting a bit :(

from the way i'm reading this Coastergirl is not having a go at anyone and is just pointing out the that the site contains out of date info.
with any webite the info on it must be kept up to date. ie. all links must work and info must be as up to date as possible.

Couldn't agree more

what i cant see is who is resposible for the site? the club or the vttst?

The Trust pays for it, Trust contact Ian Homer?.... maintained/modified/updated by management company on a Commercial? basis [scale not known]

if my memory is correct the site is built and hosted for free by the website author, but its not his resposiblity for the info; after all he can only put up the info he is given.

At what cost? updates are charged for by Management Company

so my question who is responsible for the site? if club i'm sure they can get the website designer/author to nock up the changes ( i have to do this through Damien for 655's, thanks Damien).

See above

if its the vttst can the club take over the role

No.... because 90% of content is Trust information controlled by Ian Homer.......Club content is at the discretion of Trust?
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline rusty

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
Quote from: "isibob"
For what it's worth, myself and Ray Watts both submitted our photo's and an updated bio when we joined the company (that is now over two years ago.)

We have been a little bit busy operating a classic bomber and trying to keep the wolf from the door.

Since it is not to your satisfaction that these pages are updated, maybe we should withdraw them?

Hear Hear. nuff said.
I think that with all the activity that has been going on in the past few weeks and months it is perhaps no wonder that items like certain web pages get somewhat neglected. What irks me a little is that it seems to be Trust bashing time once again I really wish we could act as one and bury this Trust / Club demarcation. I see no one has compalined that the Club has not yet posted it's Committee Members - they are busy and no doubt it will happen in time but with limited resources at both Trust and Club level something has to give somewhere. Perhaps the decisions taken are not always right but please letsa try to be civil to Trust , Club, long standing members, relative newcomers, Volunteers and all supporters.

Actually I have asked several times that the club committee be updated.
Honouring the Past , Inspiring the Future

Offline XH558

• Administrator
  • Regular User
  • Its All About Me
    • View Profile
    • Internet Solutions Services Limited
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
If someone gives me the information i will update the site, not a problem, just email me personally with the information.  Oh and just for the record, the web site is a full CMS system, so for many sections no web designer is required, you just log in and edit through an editor.  But as has been pointed out people have other things to do.
http://www.webdesign-issl.co.uk/ internet solutions services limited
http://www.facebook.com/issl.co.uk ISSL on Facebook
http://twitter.com/ISSL ISSL on Twitter

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »
Quote from: "XH558"
If someone gives me the information i will update the site, not a problem, just email me personally with the information.  Oh and just for the record, the web site is a full CMS system, so for many sections no web designer is required, you just log in and edit through an editor.  But as has been pointed out people have other things to do.

In that case lets start with the Club Committee list.... over to you brains... :)
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »
Quote from: "Zero One"
Quote from: "XH558"

In that case lets start with the Club Committee list.... over to you brains... :)

Latest version that has been updated for the magazine has been sent to the Trust tonight for updating of the Committee pages - none of the Committee actually has access to do the update ourselves.

Regards,

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline Coastergirl

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
Great! Thanks.

Can we do the same with the Trust now?

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
Rachel,

As explained twice before... there is a priority list I'm working through.. and right now, I'm concentrating on helping to make sure there is an aircraft available for the team to fly and look after, rather than take two days out to collate all the data and post up some pretty pictures and text.
(Well, maybe not so pretty pictures!).

Ian

Offline Coastergirl

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
Quote from: "PA28"
Rachel,

As explained twice before... there is a priority list I'm working through.. and right now, I'm concentrating on helping to make sure there is an aircraft available for the team to fly and look after, rather than take two days out to collate all the data and post up some pretty pictures and text.

Ian

The information is 2 years out of date... so in two entire years, there has been not been a single opportunity of time for this job to make it to the top of a to-do list and get done?   By anyone?

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »
Rachel,

You are highlighting one area that has not had any work on it as yet... and with a very extensive site, that is a throwback from the old data. Look at all the very positive items that have developed in the last 12 months... from a totally refreshed "interative" Web Site, regular news updates, weekly newsletters, regular mailings and generally, a far greater information flow. Not to mention, fresh Merchandise and a very successful Web Store. Shall we employ/contract out lots more to eat into all that added profit?  The numbers don't stack up as it is, but we are getting nearer to self sufficiency with the new location of the aircraft and a far better "business" behind XH558.

With a small team and limited resources, a list of priorities and actions are in hand to an agreed plan. As explained here and by PM, this can not be handed out to others and will be brought into line within the timescale, ready for the new season and hopefully, a major push to the adoring public.

Yes, it needs work and we know it. Meantime, I think all will agree, that pushing the current Appeal and making arrangements for a new home ought to be our focus and priority. If all goes well, the 'Who's who' pages will most likely need to be expanded to take in more Hangar Based/Tour people and Volunteers... hence, just one more reason why these pages are awaiting attention.

Now, can we let this rest and concentrate on other matters?

Cheers.

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/club/your-committee.html

Thank you Ian and Gully for getting this sorted out. :D
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:54 PM »
Nice to see the crew page updated  thank you - just need to give POD a kick now!