Author Topic: 2011 Vulcan to the Sky photo competition  (Read 39424 times)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
2011 Vulcan to the Sky photo competition
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Remember this that I ran last year:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=623

I've just spoken to Ian and have agreed that I will run the competition again this year with the same 5 categories (except where it says 2010 last year will now read 2011). The system will be the same again i.e. that you buy a voucher from the webshop and quote it with your entry. This year we will charge £5.58 per voucher but each voucher will be for 3 entries to encourage higher numbers of entries. Ian will set up the voucher purchase system later in the year (probably June time) but I'm posting this now so that you can get cameras out and ster getting your entries ready! All photos must be taken between November 1st 2010 and November 4th 2011 (the closing date for entries).
Nearer the closing date I will contact some of you to invite you to be judges again but being a judge will not preclude you from entering (you just wont be able to vote for your own photo in the first round).

Enjoy the summer and get those photos ready
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:06:18 PM by sickbag_andy »
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Vulcan to the Sky photo competition
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
HERE WE GO - THE COMPETITION IS OPEN

People (not just club members) will be invited to post photos in the competition for a donation of £5.58 for 3 (three) photos Entry will be via the purchase of a token – link to the page:
http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/pr ... PHOTOTOKEN

once you have paid for your token this page will appear:
Order Received
Your order: TC - 00009426 has been successfully received with status New.

You can track the status of this order, and any other orders, by logging into the shop and accessing the 'My Orders' section under 'My Account'.

Shortly, you will be sent an email confirming this order and its details.

Any update on the order's progress will also be sent to you via email.

Thank you and do shop again with us some time soon.
Order Details
Items   Quantity   Price   Total
Photo Competition Donation (PHOTOTOKEN)    2   £5.58   £11.16
Delivery       Standard Post   £0.00
        +VAT (20.0%)   £0.00
        Total   £11.16

You will need to quote your token number (TC-****) then the entry number up to the value of the entries you have purchased  for instance if you purchase token to the value of £11.16 (2 x £5.58) as I have in my order above, you will be allowed 6 photos so these will be numbered TC**** -1, TC**** - 2 etc up to TC****-6 beside each respective entry, here is my first entry to section 1 of the competition as an example - viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2876&p=35437#p35437 , there will be no limit to the number of photos that any individual may post but each entry must be matched by a covering donation. We hope to put invitations on other fora and you are asked to post a link to the competition on any fora you are registered with once we have the new forum section in place. We will check entries and the quoted TC- **** numbers against them and those without a valid number will be disqualified

All photographs must have been taken between 1st November 2010 and 4th November 2011.
The image may be enhanced by  ‘photo-shopping’ to adjust colour levels and balance, cropping, sharpening etc. The photograph must retain it’s initial subject, don’t make it something it’s not, ( for instance by cutting and pasting a second flying Vulcan into the picture – if only it could be real!).

Photographs must be the entrant's own work and not by a third party, but you may post an entry for somebody else with their permission and with the entry in their name if they do not have access to a photo hosting facility

Photographs must be directly loaded into the correct topic (there is one for each section) within the photo competition forum and not posted as a link to another site. Note that photographs may be cropped by the forum software to a width of approx 750 pixels so you may need to adjust your crop ratio before posting otherwise you may lose detail on the right hand side of the photo

There will be 5 categories as follows:
1. photos of XH558
2. photos of any other aircraft
3. photos of the Vulcan Village or other smaller VTTS stands from 2011 events
4. photos of the XH558 ground crew or engineers in action (or on duty at any rate)
5. different this year - photos of 558 taken on a compact camera, the idea of this is to open it up to as many people as possible without those that only have a compact camera being disadvantaged against those with 'all the gear'.

You may replace an entry by linking to a new photo up to the closing date but additional entries require a token number

Entries will close on Friday, November 4th at 09.00 and the first round of judging by a selected panel of judges will take place that week up to Friday 11th , the 6 finalists (plus ties if there are more than one with the same score) will then be posted in a voting topic open to all forum members to choose the winner in each section. Voting will last until Sunday 20th at 17.00 and then the winners from each section will go forward to a further vote by forum members for the overall winner for which voting will close on Sunday 27th November at 17.00

I will donate a canvas print of the overall winning photo for the winner which I shall arrange to be signed by the ground crew and aircrew as far as possible. The winner plus a guest will be invited to go to Doncaster airport to collect the prize and meet the ground crew and enjoy a ground tour of the aircraft, this can be delayed until the flying season if desired to take advantage of seeing the preparation for the flight and the take off

Prizes for the section winners will be framed prints of their winning photographs

So get going with those entries or get out and take your photos and see if you can be this year’s winner
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:08:01 PM by sickbag_andy »
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline Fluffy Bunny

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gassairsoft.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
Any chance one of you moderator types could "sticky" this thread,

Thankyouplease  :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
Quote from: "Fluffy Bunny"
Any chance one of you moderator types could "sticky" this thread,

Thankyouplease  :D

good idea!
confacimus volatemum

Offline Greyhound

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:29:17 AM »
Qustion for you:
Do the 3-shots for £5.58 all have to be in the same category or can you enter 1 in Group 1 a seconf in Group 2 and a third in Group 4?
Greyhound
Bournemouth('10,11,12,13), Coventry('10), Abbingdon('11), Kemble(2x'11), Yeovil ('11,13), Royal Woooten Bassett ('11), RHADS ('11), Portsmouth NHD('12), Farnborough ('12), CarFest(S)('12).

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
Quote from: "Greyhound"
Qustion for you:
Do the 3-shots for £5.58 all have to be in the same category or can you enter 1 in Group 1 a seconf in Group 2 and a third in Group 4?
Greyhound

no they can be in any category (see my entries, I have put them in 4 different ones), just ensure you put the token number above the photo as I have up to the total number you have purchased.
confacimus volatemum

Offline scamp

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:08 PM »
a quest about cat 5 - wud a bridge camera come into this category, its not quite a compact, but not 'all the kit' lol  thought id ask...... if u dont ask, u dont get  ;)  lol
nikki

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:00:35 PM »
okay - as long as it's raising funds for '558 I'm very felxible . BTW pics from mobile phones will also be acceptable. remember that section 5 is pics of '558 onlt not any aircraft
confacimus volatemum

Offline scamp

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »
thanks andy - ill be spending tomoro huntin thru my pics now lol
nikki

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »
I just twigged that all pix had to be taken this year. Can I change some of mine ?
The Santa one was December so it's this year sort of i.e since last years competition which may be a better criteria.

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:40:58 AM »
Quote from: "johnjosh43"
I just twigged that all pix had to be taken this year. Can I change some of mine ?
The Santa one was December so it's this year sort of i.e since last years competition which may be a better criteria.

i was aware of that and had thought about making the start date for photos 1st November 2010 as that would have allowed inclusion of the last Harrier flights but was worried that it might then develop into a Harrier from the Sky photo competition . I'll start a topic on it to gauge views- if it raised a bit more money then I'm all for it because  that is the primary reason for the competition
confacimus volatemum

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »
following the poll and confirmation from Jane and Ian that they dont see any problems with doing so the dates for photos for the competion from 1st November 2010 to 4th November 2011 inclusive. I have amended the first and second posts accordingly. This will give continuity from the end of last year's competition.

SO,  if you have any photos from November or December last year then why not enter them? I'm sure there were quite a few photos of the last days of the Harrier posted on here so they are now eligible for a start.

It's all for a good cause
confacimus volatemum

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
Only 10 days left to get your entries in - there are very few in some sections so I expect to see some compact cameras in action on saturday around '558
confacimus volatemum

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
Quote from: "sickbag_andy"
Only 10 days left to get your entries in - there are very few in some sections so I expect to see some compact cameras in action on saturday around '558

Got a few for the "compact" group so long as I am allowed to post them (judging)

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »
Quote from: "StAthan lecky"
Quote from: "sickbag_andy"

Got a few for the "compact" group so long as I am allowed to post them (judging)

Mike

no problem with that Mike, you just can't pick your own entries
confacimus volatemum