Author Topic: 2011 Vulcan to the Sky photo competition  (Read 40680 times)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Vulcan to the Sky photo competition
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
Got to be a record.....joined today at 15:03 , made his first post at 15:03.......
Maybe this is appropriate :
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
All 5 sections finalists are now posted ready for voting ( and some have already voted) please participate in the polls to give the widest possible opinions on the best photos, thanks and good luck to all the finalists

Moderators- can one of you please make them sticky as soon as you can , many thanks
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!

Offline stevebate

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
I was not commenting on the standard of photographs but the standard of judges! I had no intention of joining "your" Forum today but when I had a browse through the entries and then saw the finalists I was amazed. There is defiantly a clique thing going on here and to think that people actually paid to enter...

Love your website and good luck with the competition.

Ha Ha.

Offline phillb

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »
ok then?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:18:03 PM by phillb »

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
'stevebate'......
Back in the mid-late '80s , I acted as a judge in several competitions run by my local camera club.
After a while I left the club , as well as quitting a photography course I was attending at the local 'tech' { or college , as they now like to be called }.
The reason ??
Because I felt that they were so intent on the 'technical miutiae' & looking for the "perfect photograph" { anal stuff such as dodging & burning , trying different grade paper , 'slide sandwiching' , etc. } that they'd actually forgotten the whole ethos of photography -- namely to capture a moment in time.
As I told the other judges before quitting , they'd probably discard photographs by Robert Capa , Tim Page , Larry Burrows & David Douglas Duncan because they were out of focus , badly lit or had dust-specs on the lens !
No doubt you fit into this category ??

As for your comment about there being a 'clique'......you couldn't be further from the truth.
The panel of judges in this competition were unknown , even to each other ; their selections weren't known to each other ; if you look through the finalists , you'll note that they include recently joined forum members & non club members ..........so please , tell us where this 'clique' is !!

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »
Quote from: "stevebate"
Wow it seems that this is less of a photography competition and more of a money making project! Being a photography judge myself I can safely say that this is the worst lineup of finalists in a competition that I have ever witnessed. Good Job.

Firstly, may I say welcome to the forums.................. :D

secondly, seeing as though you are a photography judge, may be you could share with us some of your ` no doubt oh so superior` pictures as I , and maybe some others here, would love to see them............ ;)

If you dont want to share them with us, then please refrain from making adverse comments on what people do post. :x

As said earlier by one of my fellow club/forum members, the whole point of these competitions is for club members to show off their images and also to help raise funds for 558.......... :)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 07:15:45 AM »
As one of the Judges of this competition, I voted for the ones I thought were best!
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »
Stevebate

You  could not be further from the truth. All judges judge in their own time from their own houses. None of us have a clue what other judges have voted for or discuss our votes - we are spread out all over the country and I couldn't tell you who all the judges were, only Andy knows that. Andy recieves all votes and then collates the finalists. I have no photography knowledge - like Vulcanlover I vote for what I like or would put on my wall. The purpose of the competition is to encourage members to get involved, to enhance the magazine with great photos taken by our own members  alongside the club/trust's designated professional photographers and of course to raise very much needed funds for the aircraft.

Sarah

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »
I am also one of the judges on this competition.

In order to judge it I looked through the photos and wrote a list of those that for ME stood out and this left me with a long list. So I went through them again and gradually whittled them down to the 10 required. It took quite a time but time willingly given. I didn't look at who had submitted the photos till I had chosen them and I was pleased to find it was a range of old and new names. Some I know and some I don't but each one of whom has given some money and shared their favourite pics of the year with us.

I must admit that Malcolm had entered two pics but neither were in my choices as there were so many other good ones.

I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the pics and there have been some crackers in there, not just photo-shopped ones but straight pics needing nothing doing to them as well.

It has raised a lovely sum of money for 558 so well done Andy and all who have contributed. Without you and so many others like you 558 would not be where she is today so Thank You :D  :D

Jane
(Co-Chair for Steve's benefit. Steve Please feel free to contact me for further information about the Club!)
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
I was not commenting on the standard of photographs but the standard of judges! I had no intention of joining "your" Forum today but when I had a browse through the entries and then saw the finalists I was amazed. There is defiantly a clique thing going on here and to think that people actually paid to enter...

Love your website and good luck with the competition.

Ha Ha.
Perhaps the shortlist judges could check out some of your judging sometime and pass comment on how poor your opinion is and how corrupt your voting is.  There's 'defiantly' nothing cliquey in my choices.  I have never met and do not know the majority of entrants I voted for.  I only vaguely know a  couple of the others.

PS - I've still not received payment from 2 of the entrants I voted for.  You know who you are.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »
 There is defiantly a clique thing going on here and to think that people actually paid to enter...

Ha Ha.

Suggest that master bates take himself elswhere and vote on pics on other forums then..... There is no clique here and it was done purely to raise money for 558's winter servicing. It's what we do here..... help... NOT criticize.

If you have nothing positive to add... then this forum is definately not for you !

JMO
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
Maybe it was a defiant clique , rather than a submissive one !  :lol:

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 06:16:51 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
Maybe it was a defiant clique , rather than a submissive one !  :lol:

mmm.. maybe I should have said that the forum was not defiantly not for him then....  ;)
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
Has anyone (moderator) considered that he has hacked his way in to this forum and is in fact not a member and is not entitled to post or make comment,I to was a judge and voted with my eyes and not down to who took the photograph,clique this competition is not.

:x

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »
This area of the forum is open to anyone who registers.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment