Author Topic: Volunteer Vulcan polishers wanted  (Read 200622 times)

Offline johnri

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteer Vulcan polishers wanted
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Sorry I can't help Sam. I'm only qualified for MK 1A's. White Anti-Flash. They were bu**ers to try and clean all that Yorkshire grime. We used buckets of Flash (or was it DAZ) and brooms. :roll:  :roll:

Not to mention the distance, Oh and I've used up all my day out passes from SWMBO.

JR
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
I don\'t want a second childhood. I\'m still enjoying the first one.

I\'m retired.
I was tired yesterday, and I\'m tired again today.

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
Oh Bu**er,off on my hols to sunny Kefalonia on Thursday so I am going to miss the joys of white spirit and rags this time,ah well I still have fond memories of the last "Polishing " effort,maybe next time Sam.

:x  :x  :x  :x

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline seanbennett1

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 08:46:19 AM »
Likewise i'm on courses in Liverpool on Weds and Fri. Still smiling from the last time. I reccomend this to anyone who can make it. Sam and the engineers are real diamonds and its well worth a day or two of graft.
Hope all those who get involved enjoy the experience as much as I did!
Thanks Sam
Sean

Offline beastman

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
Hi Sam,

I can certainly help on Friday, if you still need a body.

I should be able to help out on Wednesday as well, if needed?

Cheers, Neil

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
Don't think I'll be able to get another day off work  :(

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Quote from: "jakspeed"
Don't think I'll be able to get another day off work  :(

Chuck a sickie,no one will even know that you are missing !

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »
Sorry Sam - don't think I could get a day off work this week.  Would love to help out again - really enjoyed it last time.  

For anyone considering it - give it a go!
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Unfortunately Sam, I wont be able to offer my services this week...................... :cry:

I plan, maybe without Jan, to help with the bucket rattling though on Friday.................. ;)

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »
Sorry Sam

Toyota have re called my car for 4 days and I am without a reasonable one to make the journey up North plus I am packing for my return to the ship :(  :(  :(

Good luck with the doors & the weekend displays :D  :D

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
If she was only down South :-)
I'm in Portsmouth Thursday - Saturday. Next time.

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 12:47:44 AM »
Yet more fantastic work by the polishers this week.

Loads of help not only with getting 558 sparkly clean for Kemble next week but also helping to sort out the library and some solutions to our ongoing storage problems.

Long day for the boys today but I hope they got something out of this evenings entertainment.

I'm pretty sure there are some great photos out there now.  Feel free to post them, either on here or in the photo sectoion.

Once more thank you Philip, Neil and Andy very much for your hard work.  I cant say we would not have done it with out you, but if we had it would have been a lot harder (and 558 would not have looked so good!)
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Boggles

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
Comment from the event organiser on the promenade in Douglas last night. "She looks pristine." Well done all!

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »
Hello everyone once again from what I will refer to as the second unofficial edition of “TVPC” – The Vulcan Polishing Club.

I know lots of people were disappointed at not being able to get to Finningley this time so I thought I’d give you a run through from my two days there. Here is Wednesday...

First and foremost a huge thanks (yet again) to Sam for his willingness to take us on board and his ability to focus our enthusiasm into something remotely productive. It must have felt like trying to herd cats at various points over the three days – it’s a fine line sometimes between trying to be helpful and simply getting in the way or even worse just generating more work… (more on that later).

The hangar now has a Portacabin to house the real version of the Haynes Vulcan Owners’ Manual. It’s a whole wall of Vulcan technical and engineering manuals, guides and maintenance volumes. Lots of them. Lew (who has been generating those excellent signed prints to raise more cash) helped us move the boxes which started at “heavy” passing through “you must be joking” to “I’m quite happy here” ones generating their own gravity field. Once in the cabin Neil and myself started unpacking. What followed was something I’m sure was part of a “volunteers grading and evaluation test” put together by Sam. He says “Match the codes on the spines to the codes on the shelves – that’s where that volume lives…” Simples! True. After only two or three stabs we pretty much had it licked…

Seriously though the volumes are amazing. Page after page of Vulcan history just leaps from each one. Some are in large ring binders, others still in their original leather hard backs. Some marked “Classified”, some signed off by long retired high ranking types from the RAF. Pure Vulcan DNA in printed and written form. Fascinating. Priceless. Irreplaceable. Without it she simply cannot fly.

Neil gets this week’s gold star for rallying to the call and turning up on all three days. He did a cracking job Wednesday cleaning the wing section downwind from the Rover exhaust outlet . I know it’s quite a job because I did it last time! While he got stuck into that I had a go at the wheels, inside and outside of the undercarriage doors and the legs. So whilst 3 hangars’ own “Kim and Aggie“ were making her presentable (On this weeks’ edition of “How Clean Is Your Vulcan?” we show how white spirit and a rag is king) Sam topped up the tyres and on board high pressure bottles with nitrogen from one of the ground trolleys.
On his rounds Sam also replaced the protective grease from the bare metal sections of the legs. These bare sections are where the test equipment scans the legs for internal cracks and damage. They need to be bare metal because scans through paint don’t work. However, the down side is the bare metal corrodes horribly quickly if not protected by the grease. The last of which I had dutifully removed in my hasty pursuit of a smooth clean set of legs… Oops…

After lunch Neil and myself each cleaned two of the lower engine and jet pipe fairings. These need plenty of attention as they naturally become oily and dirty during use. Halfway down the length of the first I realised it was best to place the ladder between them and clean BOTH the above sections otherwise I’d be dragging the ladder all the way back to clean the second…nupty! Whilst we were sorting these the real engineers and technicians were busy fitting new “EADS” vinyl transfers to the insides of the main gear doors. I kid you not - measured and aligned to the nearest rivet and very carefully applied by Mr Brown. The afternoon also saw a visit from the RHA Fire Officers – all decked out in their branded hi-vis bibs and jackets. I think their “inspection” blended into another mini guided ground tour. Plenty of faces were all goggle eyed at being up close to 558. Seems officialdom is not immune to “The Vulcan Effect” either!
"I've never flown an aircraft yet when I didn't feel a bit short of wing - except the Vulcan".

John Farley.

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:57 PM »
An interesting write-up, thanks.  8-)

Offline jakspeed

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile