Author Topic: ADS-B?  (Read 23624 times)

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
ADS-B?
« on: May 31, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
Just wondering if any thought had been given to fitment of an ADS-B transmitter to 558? Don't know how much they cost or whether they are an allowable fit to a non commercial transport aircraft. But in terms of helping to raise her profile it would be nice to be able to track her movements on a computer or 3G 'phone...
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
"I've never flown an aircraft yet when I didn't feel a bit short of wing - except the Vulcan".

John Farley.

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: ADS-B?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
Quote from: "Fonseca"
Just wondering if any thought had been given to fitment of an ADS-B transmitter to 558? Don't know how much they cost or whether they are an allowable fit to a non commercial transport aircraft. But in terms of helping to raise her profile it would be nice to be able to track her movements on a computer or 3G 'phone...

Problem is you are changing the build standard of the aircraft.... lots of design drawings/testing for the modification.... costing lots of money they don't have at present, I believe :(
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
Yet another one of those occasions where you wish the old Forum was still accessable......it was discussed at some length on there !  ;)
As Denis said , the problem { as explained by the engineers , etc. } is that a change of transponder from the current "Mode-S" { as still used by the Military in many countries , including the UK & USA } to "ADS-B" { primarily used on larger civil aircraft } is liable to be classed as a 'modification' by the CAA , which would mean it would have to go through expensive tests & approval procedures.
There is { was ? } an updated model of the transponder fitted to '558 which does ADS-B , but again the problem would be cost { plus nobody seemed sure if changing the transponder to an updated version of the original model would be classed as a 'modification' or not }

One option which was concidered was the use of one of the 'receiver-based'  tracking systems { such as the SBS-1 system : http://www.kineticavionics.co.uk/sbs-1.php } & linking it to the website , but again the problem was largely one of cost { plus the fact that nobody had any experience of any of the available systems ! }
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
Thanks for your answers guys. And my apologies if this is raking over old forum embers and members! If it's an idea that’s already been looked at then fine. Having tracked a relatives flight from Schiphol to Stansted (including seeing the aircraft identified with type and flight details through the 'phones camera) I just thought it would be a nice way to keep track of her if you were unable to get to see her in the alloy…

Maybe one day...
"I've never flown an aircraft yet when I didn't feel a bit short of wing - except the Vulcan".

John Farley.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »
Apologies if you thought my comment about the old Forum was aimed at you ...... far from it !  :oops:
It's just that if it was still available in some form , it would be easier to answer some queries by providing people with a link to see what's already been discussed { and it's easier for some of us to refresh our memories before answering said queries !  ;)  :lol:  }

Incidentally , there is a website that used to provide live tracking of "Mode-S" equipped aircraft :  http://www.live-mode-s.info/
Unfortunately , the main live tracking section hasn't been active for several months. There is still a limited live tracking system on another part of the site { http://www.live-mode-s.info/PublicArea/PublicArea.php } , but it's not very good ......and to be honest , being a "beacon-based log" { rather than "GPS-based map" } setup it often threw up some very strange aircraft locations / movements !

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
Apologies if you thought my comment about the old Forum was aimed at you ......
Non required. Completely understood what you meant…   :D  Actually very impressed with such an active forum and grateful for quick and knowledgeable answers.

John Farley.

Offline Prometheus

• Do I really want a title?
  • Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
    • T. A. Ashcroft - Author
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »
You can track XH558 on Plane Plotter.

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »
As some of you may know , the website which you used to be able to track XH558 { and other "Mode-S only" aircraft } on , http://www.live-mode-s.info/ , has not been doing live updates since last year.
Now for the good news......
Looking on their website , they have a "new" mobile page , http://mobile.live-mode-s.info/index.php { it's been available since February , but I've only just noticed it !  :oops:  }......this is updated live !!
Only downside is the text can be difficult to read.