Author Topic: Bournemouth Airshow question  (Read 19748 times)

Offline beastman

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Bournemouth Airshow question
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:14:46 PM »
Hi All,

I'm thinking of catching the train down to Bournemouth next weekend in attempt to see XH558 this year.

Where is the action centered? Obviously I know its the beach, but its quite long.

Is there a start/end point that the aircrew use as references?

Many thanks for any potential help!

Cheers, Neil
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Bournemouth Airshow question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »
Generally speaking, the action at a airshow is centered in the sky. ;)
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »
But at Bournemouth the Navy kicks the action off with a beach assault.

The display line is about three miles long with the main pier as the centre, 558 will display later in the afternoon so the light will probably be better towards the Sandbanks end.  There is a view point at the far end of Parkstone, I was there a few years ago and ended up looking down on on Red nine, not sure if Martin will be getting that close and personal!  It gets pretty crowded and catching the train in is a pretty good idea as driving/ parking in Bournemouth when the show is on is a nightmare.

The only time I've caught the train to Bournemouth was when I went past my Mum,s and Bournemouth was the next stop!  I think the main station is quite a walk from the beach so you might need to catch a bus down to the sea front.  If you have plenty of time walk through the town as there is plenty to see, I know our friends from Bournemouth aviation museum have a stand in the park close to the main pier.

Have a good weekend, in case you had not heard 558 will be on the ground at Hurn but that is quite a long way out of town and I don't think public access is going to be great.
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
Crowd centre last year was down along from pier almost opposite HMS Ocean marked by large red stripe on cliff face. I believe the navy will have presence again so imagine similiar set up. Probably about a third of the way along from Bournemouth to Boscombe end. There are plently of buses running between park and rides and trains.

From people I had feedback from, display was better viewed from cliff top rather that beach.

We all watched it standing in sea having a paddle though which was great  :)

Offline Bryank

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
It's only about a 5-10 minute walk from the train station to the beach - display centre is mid way between Boscombe and Bournemouth piers. I think there was an orange marker there to help the pilots?

From the train station > turn right into Holdenhurst Road > left at roundabout into St. Swithun's Road, straight over at the next roundabout, around the corner then down Manor Road onto the Overcliff. The whole area there is good for viewing and will have stands/traders. You can go down to the beach by either going East and down the zig zag path or West for the other path and cliff lifts (extremely busy) - this year they have expanded some of the site so not quite sure where some things will be but between the piers the Undercliff will be full of traders/stalls, Vulcan Village etc.

(red line on map is shortest route)

I know there is stuff on the beach to the west of Bournemouth Pier as well - they seem to have listened to comments about the evening stuff, as before most of the items were in the Gardens but it was just too busy so they have added & moved some events to the beach in the evening.

Cheers,

Bryan

Offline Bryank

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »
Also to add they have released a free iPhone app for the show with maps, aircraft data, etc. You have to pay for the timetable part though, but at least it's going to be live and updated as things progress through the days.

Also saw there is going to be free WiFi all along the seafront for those who can't stay offline  :lol:

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
Quote from: "Bryank"
It's only about a 5-10 minute walk from the train station to the beach

Crikey!  How fast do you walk??? I'd have said a good 20 mins, but then I usually walk from the station to  my office mext to the gardens....
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Paddy Langdown

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Quote from: "Bryank"
Also to add they have released a free iPhone app for the show with maps, aircraft data, etc. You have to pay for the timetable part though, but at least it's going to be live and updated as things progress through the days.

Also saw there is going to be free WiFi all along the seafront for those who can't stay offline  :lol:

They ask people to pay to help defray the costs of paying for our Vulcan and others to appear (or so I am told)!

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:53:12 PM »
Sam mentioned a good point about lighting.

As Vulcan display is late afternoon on both days... the sun (if out  ;) ) will be problematic on the climbs - if you are at beach level.  Best vantage point, and crowd centre point is the East Overcliff Drive approx 200/300yds right of Manor Road.

I think that is where the commentary position and Planes TV operate from. You get an 'eyeline' view of the action. But you need to get there VERY early to get a spot - so be warned !!!  The Commando Assault/Parachute action takes place slightly off centre towards Bournemouth Pier. Wherever you choose.. it will be heaving.

Don't buy any bottled drinks from the stalls if you are at beach level.... they make thier own prices up as they go along. There are plenty of cold water running showers and taps dotted along the prom  ;)

Hope that helps in some small way.
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline beastman

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:12 AM »
Many thanks to everyone for the info!

I'm draggin the missus along, so am aiming for as smoother experience as possible, and all of your help is gratefully received!!

Cheers, Neil

Offline stigish

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
You will ideally need to get there as early as possible, as the beach was pretty much full both saturday & sunday last year from about 11am!

I was sat on the beach last year in line with the Cliff lift which has the commentary position right on top. That way you are right next to the clearing for the Marines Beach Assult and pretty much crowd centre.

If you go on Sunday, after the marines have finished they open up the area they used (or at least they did last year), which is bang on centre and because most people have made camp with wind breakers, tents etc they don't move. I moved into the opening last year and I was like having all the space in the world with no one to spoil the view.

As for the train, I beleive Pink Peril (correct me if I'm wrong) used the train once before and she said it was a nightmare! Where are you travelling from as there are 3 park & ride sites which charge £10 for parking and bus to the show. They could be a useful alternative & the buses stop very close to the beach.

Have a good weekend & look out for any pale blue XH558 T-shirts (we don't bite)  ;)

Offline HowSlo

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »
Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but do we have any rough timings for '558's display? All I've seen so far is 'late in the day'!

Not for me, but my brother.  The lucky get is on holiday down there!

EDIT:  Ignore that - found them on the appearances page.  But in case anyone else was wondering, around 4pm on both days.   :D

Offline higgins

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
As 558 is taking off from Hurn, does this mean no dirty pass during the display program?
If edited will be due to spelting or grammer!

Offline beastman

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
Quote from: "stigish"
You will ideally need to get there as early as possible, as the beach was pretty much full both saturday & sunday last year from about 11am!

I was sat on the beach last year in line with the Cliff lift which has the commentary position right on top. That way you are right next to the clearing for the Marines Beach Assult and pretty much crowd centre.

If you go on Sunday, after the marines have finished they open up the area they used (or at least they did last year), which is bang on centre and because most people have made camp with wind breakers, tents etc they don't move. I moved into the opening last year and I was like having all the space in the world with no one to spoil the view.

As for the train, I beleive Pink Peril (correct me if I'm wrong) used the train once before and she said it was a nightmare! Where are you travelling from as there are 3 park & ride sites which charge £10 for parking and bus to the show. They could be a useful alternative & the buses stop very close to the beach.

Have a good weekend & look out for any pale blue XH558 T-shirts (we don't bite)  ;)

I'm traveling down from Birmingham. Its all on the same train, with seats booked!

I'm not going to arrive in Bournemouth until 11.15 at the earliest, so will have to do my best to find a spot.

If I go to the top of the cliffs will it be worth me taking the old collapsable chairs? Or will there be nowhere to put them?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but this is my first seaside airshow  :D

Cheers once more, Neil

Offline stigish

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
Chairs yes, space............probably not  :(  The cliff top gets pretty full as its level/above the aircraft. The turn out for the show is very weather dependant. Alot of the families from the area go by the weather, so if its grey/damp you could get a good spot. When you arrive, if get a taxi, do it from the Asda side of the station and ask them to drop you off at the Menzies Carlton Hotel. Its right across the road from the commentary box (crowd centre) and if you decide to go down to the beach there is the lift and a path that takes you right below. If you walk, head for the same place (see bryank's post for map/directions).

Good luck  :D