Author Topic: Oxygen?  (Read 10172 times)

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
The actual capacity of the system is in the leading particulars section of one of the AP's.

If I were at Doncaster I could go into the library and pick it up in a second.  But I'm not, I am at home and the AP's I have here are scanned onto a disk.  All the pages are there but the title for each one is just a slide number.  They are ok for a bit of quick research but you have to pile through the whole lot if you can't remember exactly where the info is.  I'm afraid I don't have time for that.

The bottles are the original fit (to Mod 668 and 897) and are charged to 1800 psi if each one is 2250 litres each that gives us a capacity of 27,000 litres.

To tell the truth as long as the gauge's read more than 5/8 I'm happy and the actual quantity is irrelevant (hence the reason I don't have answer at my finger tips)

Oh yes, it is of course gaseous we do have the offer of a machine that will store liquid oxygen and then convert it but we are holding off at the moment as we are not operating out of Doncaster, the machine will store up to 100 american gallons of liquid oxygen which judging by the way a similar Nitrogen machine runs will refill the system several times over.  The Hercs out of Lyneham used to use liquid oxygen as well as the Nimrods and a lot of the smaller jets.  Fast jets you usually just change the pack but with the bigger stuff (and GR3 Harriers) you top up from a trolley.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline deeleyt

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »
As I have said before the LOX bottle on the Dominie was by the porta potty and we would not go anywhere near it until the PP had been emptied. In this case we used to remove them and take them to the LOX shop for refilling. You should have seen the Queue outside the LOX shop after a good night out !
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »