Author Topic: XH558 iPhone App available from Saturday 27th  (Read 23480 times)

Offline Landyman

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.pettaugh-history.org.uk
Re: XH558 iPhone App available from Saturday 27th
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »
Quote from: "fil cad"
Its to slow at updateing events, still no eastbourne, shoreham, duxford, cosby, not good
Shoreham is still missing but the others are there this morning.
Small problem with the Eastbourne listing is that the heading comes up as Leuchars when you go to the details.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
I used to be retired then I found a Vulcan.
My travel blog - http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com (Now with added Vulcan for even better value)

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:45 AM »
I'll look into that..

The new dates slipped, because we are in the middle of a major re-build with great updates/features to come at the end of the month.

Always use the Website schedule for the latest dates as that gets updated first.

Regards,
Ian

Offline Jumbo Girl

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, since I don't have a posh phone with Apps on it, but it seems the constructive criticism has been brushed off with "oh well it's not right, you can't trust the info on it, you need to check the website". That doesn't seem right to me, surely people have paid for this App (opposed to the website, which is free!) - and are being told they can't trust the integrity of the information? It's a bit like buying an e-reader but then also having to have a paper copy of the book because bits are missing.

IMHO the App should have been bang up to date (and kept that way) before being rolled out. I'd be furious if I paid money for an App that wasn't kept up to date, when the missing info was on a free website elsewhere. What about people who have the App who don't have any/regular access to the internet?

I know the answer is "we're busy with the exciting new website features" but it really seems someone has got their priorities wrong here.

If people are paying money for a product then we MUST deliver. Already this year I have paid for something that was not delivered (i.e. a name in the bomb bay from the start of the 2012 season and yes, before anyone starts, I did notice that we lost two engines and everyone is/was busy busy busy).

This business is under more intense scrutiny than ever before and we simply MUST present a professional image at a time when the eyes of the industry are upon 558 and her VE3 plans.
Jumbo Girl

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »
I purchased the App just yesterday,, Brilliant, well done Merrick!! :D
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
Well I guess the info for show comes from the internet, not the app itself (otherwise you'd need to continually update it whenever another show was booked), so if you have the app and no regular internet it's not really going to work.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline Jumbo Girl

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
Quote from: "MrTim"
Well I guess the info for show comes from the internet, not the app itself (otherwise you'd need to continually update it whenever another show was booked), so if you have the app and no regular internet it's not really going to work.

Not with you - are you saying this App has be manually updated? It doesn't update itself like others (such as FR24) do?
Jumbo Girl

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
Sounds like the app is pointless then.
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
Quote from: "Jumbo Girl"
Not with you - are you saying this App has be manually updated? It doesn't update itself like others (such as FR24) do?
The app will update details of airshows etc periodically (not sure of the details), but it will need to be connected to the internet one way or another to do this.  So if you have the app and no regular access to the internet (not sure how that is actually possible if you have a smartphone, unless you deliberately leave it in airplane mode) it ain't gonna work.

I doubt very much that the app itself is updated (ie a new version) every time a new airshow is added, or some news is added.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
Crikey... all hell has broken out again... I simply said ...leave it with me and low and behold, within a few hours it's sorted!!

There are major upgrades going on to the software, it has only been down a few hours and if you look now, the app is completely updated with latest shows.

In normal circumstances, the app gets updated real time the same as everything else, but after the Website is done first.

Offline Jumbo Girl

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »
Quote from: "MrTim"
The app will update details of airshows etc periodically (not sure of the details), but it will need to be connected to the internet one way or another to do this.  So if you have the app and no regular access to the internet (not sure how that is actually possible if you have a smartphone, unless you deliberately leave it in airplane mode) it ain't gonna work.

I doubt very much that the app itself is updated (ie a new version) every time a new airshow is added, or some news is added.

:D  I know the PHONE needs to be connected to the internet, I meant people who have the App but don't have regular internet access (such as working away from home). I know I'm from the Midlands but I ain't that daft  :D
Jumbo Girl

Offline Jumbo Girl

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Quote from: "PA28"
Crikey... all hell has broken out again... I simply said ...leave it with me and low and behold, within a few hours it's sorted!!

There are major upgrades going on to the software, it has only been down a few hours and if you look now, the app is completely updated with latest shows.

In normal circumstances, the app gets updated real time the same as everything else, but after the Website is done first.

LOL all Hell has not broken out again, simply that some questions were asked. This is a forum, discussion is allowed, you know  :D
Jumbo Girl