Author Topic: Will 558 fly at Shoreham this weekend  (Read 11241 times)

Offline andyt

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Will 558 fly at Shoreham this weekend
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:10:57 PM »
Been following the twitter/558 feed but nothing on it after mention of landing at Hurn yesterday.

It would be really helpful to supporters if this twitter feed was a priority and was kept up to date (it also seems to be harvested to give the status on the main web page - good idea) as it often involves a prospective long journey to go and see her flying and knowing the latest status (especially with todays weather and VFR) would help.

Surely up to date information would not be too much to ask for supporters who live far away from 558's home and only have a chance of seeing her at displays.

Andy.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Will 558 fly at Shoreham this weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
Twitter still unchanged , but "scrollie" on homepage says :
Latest News : Sorry, all flights today cancelled due to poor weather in Bournemouth Area.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline sweetktg

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »
The twitter feed is actually very good usually - don't know what's happened today. I've been following the shorehamairshow, BmthAirFest, #BmthAir & SilverstoneUK twitter pages to keep up to date today instead - they've been better, apart from the shorehamairshow which seems to be infrequently updated.

Bear in mind that if I remember rightly our twitter feed isn't offical & was actually created & maintained by someone in the club, so the fact that we've got it at all is a bonus.
for Planes, Trains & Automobiles (& other stuff):
http://http://www.youtube.com/user/sweetktg

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Bournemouth is scheduled to be the first display tomorrow, so if the weather here is as a rubbish tomorrow as it is today, then it will be an issue.  However, the afternoon is apparently going to be better than today, so fingers crossed.  Assuming I manage to get my phone charged for when I'm on the beach tomorrow, I may be able to post some news assuming the network doesn't die under the load of the airshow crowd, as it often does...
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline DamienB

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.handmadebymachine.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »
Someone needs to tell the person running the Twitter feed what is happening, that's what's wrong!

Offline PXProgrammer

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »
After reading the latest (excellent) Vulcan Mag, should that be the job of "Public Relations and Media Assistant" :?:
Positive thinking helps!

Offline andyt

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I don't find the "divisions" within Vulcan support very clear. I understand my monthly standing order goes direct to the VTTST which is different to the club and so I would expect VTTST to supply up to date twitter feed for all of us who only get the occasional chance to see 558 on the display tour.  I fully understand the comment by DamienB that someone has to inform the person doing the twitter feed what the situation is.

I may not be paying much but £10/mth equates to £120 per year over the past two years or more and all I ask for this is to be kept up to date with the situation.  The new website is looking good and going in the right direction with much clearer layout but needs the info.

Just thought - how about using this desire for flight information as a revenue raising feature. Any supporter doing a monthly donation gets access to the latest flight information??

It really is only an issue when I get a chance to see her flying and have to choose if and where to travel to see her (Shoreham or Bournmouth today). The rest of the year I am not worried about the timeleness of the information posts.

Finally thanks everyone for the replies and I notice that the twitter was updated around 17:00 with the apologies that it did not fly - but VTTST if you are reading this then we need to know earlier what the likelyhood of it flying is and as soon as possible if a decision is made to cancel then please let us know.

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:13:45 PM »
Unless I am mistaken, and like Murray Walker, I frequently am, I believe that Damien is the person who tweets on behalf of 558.  I'd always thought that the arrangement was very much an informal sort of thing that he did off of his own back to help those who were interested.  The inclusion of the feed on the front page of the website lead me to believe that some more formal arrangement might have been in place between the 'they' department who know exactly what the situation is, so that it could be updated on a reliable basis.  As Damien has said, if he (or whoever it is) doesn't get told, then they can't update the feed.  You can't shoot the messenger for that one.

I think that if the feed is placed on the front page of the website, it ceases to become something that can be done on an informal basis, and that someone should be responsible for making sure it is updated on display days, especially days like today where everything is up in the air, or rather not as the case was.  To me, it would seem sensible to arrange for someone in ops to be the tweeter, or at least to be responsible for giving the info to whoever set it up.

On the flip side, if you're going from pillar to post trying to work out what is going on with the weather and the show, the last thing on your mind will be dropping a line to someone to stick a tweet up about it.  Yet another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't!
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
Info I have on the ground tonight at Bournemouth is they were still trying to find a weather window to Shoreham as late as 3pm. Eventually it had to be acknowledged weather had won.

The Bournemouth Air show team also made the descision to cancel Bournemouth at around same time.

Offline stigish

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
The weather here in Bournemouth is terrible again today  :?  :cry: so far the flying schedule is going ahead as normal, but the way the weather is looking I'm not hopeful of it continuing.......

Offline sweetktg

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
It was looking promising - the Blades managed to get from the airport to the seafront (eventually after finding a way round the weather apparantly) BUT they've had to abandon the display due to the poor conditions - it's not looking good. Let's hope that even if she can't display at B'mouth, she manages to find a window & a way around the weather there to get to her other displays.

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »
The primary job of the aircrew & the Ops manager is to get 558 airborne.  They wouldn't have been sat about drinking tea all day - I know from 2 years ago when the weather caused problems for Duxford & Southport just how hard the crew tried to fit in all the tasking. I bet the phones were red hot yesterday with extra planning, weather updates and keeping venues up to speed. And if the weather is as poor today it will be the same procedure.

If there was/is a way to get 558 up there they would/will do, the twitter feed how ever useful to supporters is not first on their list of things to do. Lets face it it works brilliantly when things go to plan.

Offline sweetktg

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
Quote from: "Mayfly"
If there was/is a way to get 558 up there they would/will do, the twitter feed how ever useful to supporters is not first on their list of things to do. Lets face it it works brilliantly when things go to plan.
- Precisely!

It's not looking good though as more & more things are cancelling at B'mouth  :cry:

Offline Landyman

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.pettaugh-history.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
Everything is back on the deck at Shoreham.
The Catalina tried two passes and had to give up and land and nothing is moving at the moment.
300ft cloud base and raining. Grrrrrrr!  :(

Landyman.
I used to be retired then I found a Vulcan.
My travel blog - http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com (Now with added Vulcan for even better value)

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »
Such a shame - months of planning up the creek - I hope it doesn't have funding knock on effect for next year