Author Topic: Engine swap  (Read 10621 times)

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
Engine swap
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »
Was reading the latest newsbytes and wondering if these two 'low timed' engines that are being put in are the two that were removed previously?

And if they are does that mean we have the full quota of eight usable engines again?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
Re: Engine swap
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but unless anything's changed recently, I thought that there were actually six engines that were deemed fit to use, with two of the others needing a little tlc before they could be passed as fit.  This may well have happened now, so these might me the units going in.  Perhaps the swap is to balance the two oldest ones, as I'm pretty sure two were changed some while after the first post-restoration flight.  Of course, I could very well be talking utter bollards as usual.  I'm sure that Sam or Taff will confirm if they have a minute.

So, did anyone else sponsor the swap today?
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »
Quote from: "speedy"
I'm not entirely sure, but unless anything's changed recently, I thought that there were actually six engines that were deemed fit to use, with two of the others needing a little tlc before they could be passed as fit.  This may well have happened now, so these might me the units going in.
That's what I'm asking lol.

AFAIK the other two usable engines were still zero timed, but as newsbytes said 'low timed' I wondered if this meant the two that have been previously used but were swapped out after a short time.

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »
At the Members' Day on Saturday, Dr. P indicated that there was a plan to return the engine pulled in 2008 to the airframe now more data had been collected on the debris counts of the other engines, but that this was subject to a final sign-off by MA / RR.

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
I asked this question during Taff's Q+A at the members day, and his reply was that the engine which was pulled due to a high mag-reading was done as a precaution, and that the current feeling is that it should be okay to use.  According to data from RR, 150 hours should see enough time for a new engine to settle down and flush out any debris left from manufacture, and the pulled engine hasn't had anywhere near as much use.  Taff certainly seemed optimistic that they would be able to return the pulled engine to service.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
The above comments do not include any info on the ECU pulled for corrosion checks,is this one likely to be returned to flight status as well?
Any info from Taff or the Engineering team would be appreciated.

regards

Mike

:D
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline smiler

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
It's all in the hands of the Gods

We have put recommendations forward via MA to RR on all of our Engines, to ensure we have a long and safe operation, for as long as we can.  

All I can add to this is 'stand by to standby' we will let you know when we know!

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
Quote from: "smiler"
It's all in the hands of the Gods

We have put recommendations forward via MA to RR on all of our Engines, to ensure we have a long and safe operation, for as long as we can.  

All I can add to this is 'stand by to standby' we will let you know when we know!

Cheers for that,good to know that we might have all the engines available again at some point.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline deeleyt

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
Oh - for a virtual F700 - Now theres an app for a phone for you - XH558 F700 app  :D  :D

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
Quote from: "smiler"
So I take it that at this point you're still unsure which two engines will be going into the airframe?

Offline tacanman

• Regular User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heys-firstaid.com
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
I was at RR today teaching a course.  One of the students told me that there is an idea being floated unofficially, to rebuild the 4 Vulcan Olympus engines from the RR museum as a project for their 3rd year apprentices.  Don't know how developed this idea is or even if its just in his head,  but he had noticed my coat and remarked about it, funny old thing we ran behind schedule this afternoon.

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »
While we're talking about engines. The Olympus 593s in Concorde were "handed" with ancillaries being different depending which side they went into the aircraft. They could be changed over with a ball aching amount of work apparently.

Are the 301s the same in XH558 ?

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
301's wont fit 558 she has 200's..  all 4 are basically the same,  number 4 is diff as it has no hydraulic pump; apart from that i think all the ancilliaries that dress the engines are all in the same place, ie not handed
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline Fonseca

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
Here is a shot of No 1 and 2 engines looking forward. The commonality is there if you look closely... Aren't they fabulous?
"I've never flown an aircraft yet when I didn't feel a bit short of wing - except the Vulcan".

John Farley.

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reedsom.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
Orgasmic...........
Patron Saint of \'The Winter Festival\', Christmas to you, me and those in the REAL world.

God Helps them that Help Themselves but God Help them that gets Caught Helping Themselves

Chief Constable of the Off Topic Police.....

3083 posts on the last forum............