Author Topic: Ground crew storybook  (Read 36324 times)

Offline oggieg

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Ground crew storybook
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
WizzKid,I presume you proudly wore your blue and yellow PIG badge with pride etc whilst a Liney at Waddington?

Offline 50ltech

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »
PIG badge, still got mine and the tie.

Offline djrose007

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • Me and my CTX1300
    • View Profile
    • RAF Luqa Remembered
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
We anticipated just getting back on board the Brit once she was serviceable and flying straight through to Darwin, missing out on our stay on the “glorious” island of Masirah.
 “Can we have our baggage off the Brit please?” we asked expectantly.  We climbed aboard the Hercules in the clothes we had on when we left UK apart from overnight cabin baggage.  We had already used that in Cyprus.  Landing in Masirah at about 11pm local time, I experienced my first taste of a hot climate.  As I got off the Herc, I walked across the pan thinking there was an ac running its engine just a short distance away.  No!  It was a hot desert wind blowing.  What is it going to be like in the heat of the day?   

How troops managed a tour on Masirah, a nine month unaccompanied tour, I will never know.  All there was to do there, other than see transit ac through was to use the bars. 

Wizz Kid

This lot made me laugh, and reminded me of a few things.
The Sign outside movements in Gan - "Breakfast in Gan, Lunch in Cyprus, Dinner in UK, Baggage in Hong Kong"
And the Masirah section was great to read - When I was there 68-69 it wasn't a 9 month tour it was 13 months but you went home for a month in the middle of it. Yes it was hot and it still is. I returned there a couple of months ago, October 2014, with the RAF Masirah and RAF Salalah Oman Veterans Association". You might notice a few changes if you returned now, particularly the civilian side of the hills where there is a thriving small town, Hilf, which used to be covered by 'Oil Drum City', or the 'Wali Camp'.
Ah, the good old days :-)

Would you mind me purloining the section about Masirah for the newsletter? or write a few paragraphs specifically about this experience taking in your observations of Masirah?
If you wouldn't mind drop me a PM and I'll send my email address (unless you already have it, I don't know who everyone is by their forum name).

David J Rose Mem. No. 17334
http://raf-luqa.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://raf-masirah.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (dog obedience training)

Offline oggieg

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »
Does any one  recall the time one of the tin triangles flying back from a Goose Ranger was forced to make a landing [not at the first attempt]in and horrendous sidewind and contrived to blow pretty much all 16 of its main wheels.? This was at Waddo,[I think circa 1974] date not time tho it was late at night.Trade didnt matter in those days and evryone on the line was out to recover it .I was a NBS fairy then.