Author Topic: Tow Bar  (Read 7169 times)

Offline jimwilliamson

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Tow Bar
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
I have just joined the Club. I was posted as a J/T A/Fitt/P to 230 OCU in 1960. The first four Mk 2 Vulcans had just arrived. I did a course at Bristols
on tthe Olympus 101 & 201 engines. Intensive flying trials started so we were split into three shifts 12hrs on 24 off till friday then we went on 12 on12 off whilst one shift had a weekend off. We managed to do 1000hrs in 3 months. Everything in those days had to be manhandled and there was never enough people about when you had to move heavy equip about. I notice in the magazine that the one man towing bar still takes seven to fit it.  We use to do it with a few less but it was always trouble.
I will finish now. J W
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Tow Bar
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
Quote from: "jimwilliamson"
I have just joined the Club. I was posted as a J/T A/Fitt/P to 230 OCU in 1960. The first four Mk 2 Vulcans had just arrived. I did a course at Bristols
. I notice in the magazine that the one man towing bar still takes seven to fit it.  We use to do it with a few less but it was always trouble.
I will finish now. J W

Welcome Jim

That was 17yrs ago and we were a bunch of week-end Amateurs :lol: , now they've got professionals on the job  :lol: :twisted:   :lol:

Denis
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline bovril

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://xm655.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
a few at welles can do it on their own ;)
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]

Offline Sad Sam

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
Quote from: "bovril"
a few at welles can do it on their own ;)

A few @ Doncaster can do it on their own (and have done to prove a point)  

However, it takes an age to fit and we are usually a bit short of time (we like to fit it and then sit around waiting for the tug/ authority to move the jet etc.)

We usually have quiet a few helping hands stood around but we like to keep them away from the bits that can harm the jet or the people.
I'll never give up on the dream!

Offline oggieg

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
The secret is to keep your fingers away from the U section as it is manhandled onto the eye on the nosewheel leg.I once had to play ambulance with a Morris RVT ( remember them anyone?  ) when a young FLM got his in the way at Scampton.