Author Topic: Suggestions for new sales items  (Read 79494 times)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Suggestions for new sales items
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:18:40 PM »
As this topic was just getting started again on the old Forum........
So far , suggestions we have had are { in no particular order } :
VTTS baby clothes
Vulcan Ventures merchandise
"Outdoor / camping stuff" -- thermos style insulated cups, thermos flasks, blankets, coolboxes, folding chairs, that sort of thing.
Car Sunshades/blinds

Edited to say :
Just had another dig through the old Forum topics......
From Feb. 2009 , this is the list that Jane { brains_mt } had compiled of suggested items { yes , some on the list are already being or have been produced & sold on the Club Shop or in the VV } :
stickers
ties with a vulcan on
bruntys sister
adult socks
childrens socks
beanie hats
gloves
scarves
padded gilet
xmas cards
calenders
booklets
xmas tree decs
Playing cards
Top trump type cards
rain coats/ponchos
Kids erasers/rulers/pencil sharpeners etc
Key fobs
dart flights
cushion covers
kite
flying jacket
sun hats
weathervane
cookie cutter
car sun screen
kids money wallets
vulcan prints with squadrons
watches adults/boys/girls
Adults/kids hoodies
"how to fly a vulcan" cdrom
diary/calender/year planner
car flags
waving flags
Boxed collection of vulcan photographs
shopping bags for life
coat hooks
shotgun covers
aprons and oven gloves
aircraft picture colouring books
tea spoons
thimbles
tea towels
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:18:07 PM by wcg »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for new sales items
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
How about some of those download colour in pictures on Vulcan Ventures in a little book format

http://www.vulcanventures.co.uk/members/downloads.php

you have to login to see the downloads, im sure they would sell at the right price, and wouldnt cost that much to do either ( i would of thought)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline gurnsy

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
I don't know if the idea of a delta stunt-kite has been done before but how about this with a "different design" (if you know what I mean?).

[attachment=0:3mewcnml]kite.jpg[/attachment:3mewcnml]

I'd buy one!
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then why not treat yourself to one of my exceedingly good cakes." (Kipling)

Offline dlw

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »
The bottom line is cost. we have a small window during the summer to move stock and a large hole when we are sat on it. There are companies who can sustain stock over the winter. We are not in that position, hence the fact that the merchandise team investigate all ideas, unfortunately not all are practical. Keep them coming please. Do n't forget your recycling stuff please btb.
Don't forget your old Phones and Toners/inkjet carts etc.
We DO make money from them.
Regards.
Dlw.
[/color]

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »
Quote from: "dlw"
The bottom line is cost. we have a small window during the summer to move stock and a large hole when we are sat on it.
I would point out , however , that's what the on-line Club Shop is for -- selling stock throughout the year , rather than just during the "display season" { after all , I thought the sales side of the VV was in addition to the Shop , not instead of it ! }
It would be more accurate to concider which items are likely to attain and exceed their "break-even point" , be that quickly or over the course of the year ....which would depend on such variables as initial unit purchase cost versus unit retail price.
After all , there's not much point in buying 1000 widgets at £1 each , but only being able able to sell 450 of them for £2 each.....as you'll have already worked out , the break-even point is 500 widgets sold , with any widget above that sold being clear profit { whether you sell the rest at £2 , or discount them to £1 }
Yes , there could be a problem with "special" runs , such as this year's "50th Anniversary" line or calendars, but run-of-the-mill { undated } items don't really have a shelf-life in that respect.
A way around the problem could be to use the same procedure as the Club does with it's T-shirts , namely ask who would be interested in purchasing a particular item.......if enough people express an interest : look into the procurement costs , report back on how much the item would retail for , then offer it as a pre-order item - on the understanding that unless the number of items pre-ordered exceeds the "break-even point" or any other minimum limit determined by the Club , the production order will not be placed { whether or not the Club insists that any pre-order of the item is "cash in advance" is another thing ! }

As you correctly state , some items are impractical due to the "low sales volume versus unit purchase cost" equation , but there may still be items which haven't been suggested yet which could prove to be very marketable.
 :mrgreen:

Offline dlw

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
My statement does say keep ideas coming. It's just that over the years we have had alot of ideas that require development prior to finished article that makes a  production run feasible or not. We do n't want to disappoint folks from putting forward ideas. Thats why Jane and the merchandising team DO take all suggestions seriously.
My pet idea is a direct  line from the Stella brewery to home with a % of bus/taxi fares saved going to the funds. Max that to enthusiasts around the country. After all they can do it with avgas........ :D  :D  :D  :D
Save me a walk home!!!!
Edited for grammatic reasons.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:11:37 PM by dlw »
Don't forget your old Phones and Toners/inkjet carts etc.
We DO make money from them.
Regards.
Dlw.
[/color]

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »
Quote from: "dlw"
My pet idea is a direct  line from the Stella brewery to home with a % of bus/taxi fares going to the funds. Max that to enthusiasts around the country. After all they can do it with avgas........ :D  :D  :D  :D
Now if it involves a "PLUTO" to their Leuven brewery , count me in { not a fan of the UK-brewed stuff }........or better still , their Liège { Jupille-sur-Meuse } brewery , to give the option of Stella or Jupiler !!

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:15:21 PM »
You have to remember the On-line store is owned and run by the Trust, using Club Volunteer help as possible.

To help, and to provide the choice, all Club lines are stocked in the store, but the Club do only have the Summer Season and any Christmas promotions by Mail Order or Xmas Markets, to generate their income. Any additional budget has to come from the surplus membership fees. It is a fine balance, because the aim is to make donations in support of XH558, whilst having sufficient money left to fund magazines and other Club expenses. Publishing books, with print runs of 4,000+ is not cheap and does take time to recoup investment.

All Vulcan Villages are stocked by the Trust, while the Club Stands are exactly that - Club supplied. One reason, why both sides work closely together on developing complimentary lines and ordering supplies in quantities that sell quickly!  We "intertrade" at wholesale prices so both sides carry one anothers' lines - giving maximum choice to you the buying public.

Hope that clarifies a bit more.....

Regards,
Ian.

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
I know what you mean re stock and the summer re the VV just trying to expand on one item ;)

Going back over old ground and the "Car Sun Shades" (Yes I know we have talked cost etc but......) if the sun shades were farely good material and good design, could they not be used in the winter as "Frost Shades" to keep your windscreen clear and yes NO scraping :lol:  :lol:  Sales all year round and good Christmas Presents :oops:  :oops:  Well its a idea

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline 10tus

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
I know over the years of selling TVOC goodies on the stall, we need to ensure we have good range of items at low cost for kids. Parents, especially in these times, will not want too pay out for 'tat'. The cost, quality, profit margin balance is going to be even harder this year.

Offline Jumbo Girl

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
Quote from: "gurnsy"
I don't know if the idea of a delta stunt-kite has been done before but how about this with a "different design" (if you know what I mean?).

[attachment=0:5tc14g3b]kite.jpg[/attachment:5tc14g3b]

I'd buy one!

It's a great idea.... only a large proportion of our events are airshows....... and kites + airshows = disaster.

I know we can labour the point that it's not to be used on the day, but speaking as a parent, it's hard to buy something and then refuse it immediately, and there will always be one person who doesn't think.....
Jumbo Girl

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
Quote from: "Skweeky"
Quote from: "gurnsy"

[attachment=0:5ursr3vx]kite.jpg[/attachment:5ursr3vx]

I'd buy one!

It's a great idea.... only a large proportion of our events are airshows....... and kites + airshows = disaster.

I know we can labour the point that it's not to be used on the day, but speaking as a parent, it's hard to buy something and then refuse it immediately, and there will always be one person who doesn't think.....

Very good point!
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline MrTim

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
How about having a dedicated section on the new webshop specifically for items which have been flown on XH558? Just calendars & books etc, and only a limited number so as not to devalue them. I bagged a 'flown on 558' calendar at RIAT after a short impromptu auction, but only because I was in the right place at the right time.  This would give more people the same opportunity, and would make a few extra quid too.
I'm masking my indifference with a veneer of detachment

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »
I have one of her rivet heads, couldn't get it signed though. :lol:
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
a large proportion of our events are airshows....... and kites + airshows = disaster.

This goes for balloons too!
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum