Author Topic: Engine Damage Update  (Read 16946 times)

Offline Board Admin

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Engine Damage Update
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Engine Damage Update - issued Wednesday 30th May - 5pm

The technical team spent yesterday (Tuesday) investigating the engine damage on XH558, to determine its cause and to start assessing the timescale and cost of rectification.

We have already established that both engines No.1 and No.2 on the port side are sadly beyond repair, both having suffered blade damage and the effect of excessive heat.

The primary cause of the damage has been determined to be ingestion of silica gel desiccant bags. The most likely sequence of events was that material was ingested by No.1 engine, which surged and suffered LP compressor blade failure. Debris was then sucked into No. 2 which then also failed.

All relevant agencies and technical authorities have been informed. “We have been greatly reassured by the support from industry colleagues, and would like to thank all those who have offered help,” said engineering director Andrew Edmondson.

We would also like to place on record our thanks to all at Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield for their swift and professional reaction on Monday, whilst also apologising to those affected by delays or diversions.

In accordance with normal procedures, a formal investigation into the incident has been opened, chaired by the Chairman of the Trust’s Safety Review Committee.

The technical inspection has so far showed that no airframe damage was sustained, with damage being limited to the engines. The next step is to replace the damaged engines with two from the Trust’s remaining stock. Timescales for a return to flight are not yet clear – we will of course update the web site with progress and give details in the e-newsletters each week.

“We are deeply sorry that this incident has happened, and at this time in 2012. The additional unplanned costs are clearly very worrying as resources are, as ever very tight” said the charity’s chief executive, Dr. Robert Pleming. “We are actively working on a plan to recover our Jubilee season schedule and we will share this with you as soon as practical via the newsletter, Facebook page, Twitter feed and the web site.”

With many thanks to all for continuing to support Vulcan XH558.

The Vulcan Team
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »

Offline planenut

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Damage Update
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
That's got to be one of the most carefully timed messages, not good, but clear, thank you.

Now wait for the comments as to "where from?" and "who's fault?"

Ear protectors on team whilst you have to set about a very busy period.
I said "no more passwords" and look what happened!

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
Good news under the circumstances - at least the engines weren't at fault.

Offline djrose007

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
  • Me and my CTX1300
    • View Profile
    • RAF Luqa Remembered
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
I haven't posted on this subject so far as anything I might have said would have been speculation but thanks very much for the clear message in today's newsletter. My biggest worry was airframe damage but the update is very reassuring.

My only question now is where the hell did the silica gel bags come from !

Good luck with the engine replacement, hope all goes well and looking forward to further updates.
David J Rose Mem. No. 17334
http://raf-luqa.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://raf-masirah.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://stonehouse-dtc.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (dog obedience training)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »
Quote from: "planenut"
Now wait for the comments as to "where from?" and "who's fault?"
May I refer you to the UKARse Forum........5 minutes after the update was posted there !!  :roll:

Edited to say : and the above post !!
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reedsom.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »
Human error, OK it happens in life. It's very unfortunate. That's it. End of.

Personally I' don't want fingers pointing, it's not good for morale.

It happened. Life goes on. Get the spanners out.
Patron Saint of \'The Winter Festival\', Christmas to you, me and those in the REAL world.

God Helps them that Help Themselves but God Help them that gets Caught Helping Themselves

Chief Constable of the Off Topic Police.....

3083 posts on the last forum............

Offline brains_mt

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
I have posted this elsewhere but relevent here too

Re: Not going to start in the forum but!

I know it shouldn't happen but it does! Malcolm has just said it's almost 20 years now that an industrial vacuum cleaner was sucked into an engine on an USA aircraft and they told no-one about it!

Whoever is a fault here will be mortified and won't need any of us to beat them up about it.

I'm sure the investigations will find out more.
Ex Club Co-Chair
Worked flat out to give XH558 as long a life as possible! Hoping for a positive future.
3601 posts on previous Forum

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »
Very unfortunate this happened and as djrose007 wrote " The Airframe is ok" :D  :D

So onwards & upwards I am sure the team will pull together with lots of "Jaffa cakes" ;)  ;)

My question is though, she had started up and taxied to the runway, the bags cannot have been in the engine on Start up & taxing, could they have been FOD.

Oh well lets hope she will soon be back in the air after all the hard work of the team through the winter ;)  ;)

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline MikeC

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
Well I have to say I wasn't optimistic about the engines surviving such an incident but most importantly, the damage is limited to those engines so when all is said and done, gutted as I am that two engines are beyond repair, I'm just glad we still have an aircraft and, fingers crossed, she'll be flying again before too long.  My very best wishes go to the team.
"Looks like we\'ve got a job of work..."
(Martin Withers)

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
Quote from: "Smudger565"
Very unfortunate this happened and as djrose007 wrote " The Airframe is ok" :D  :D

So onwards & upwards I am sure the team will pull together with lots of "Jaffa cakes" ;)  ;)

My question is though, she had started up and taxied to the runway, the bags cannot have been in the engine on Start up & taxing, could they have been FOD.

Oh well lets hope she will soon be back in the air after all the hard work of the team through the winter ;)  ;)

PS
I'm afraid the bags must have been hanging from the nose of the engines where the oil is stored, the bags are quite big and must weigh a reasonable amount. They obviously did survive the start up and taxying to the end of the runway. When they spooled up for take off then the airflow would have been sufficient to dislodge them. The rest is history as they say. Unfortunate accident but Hey ho life goes on.

There are pictures around showing the bags hanging in place.
Patron Saint of \'The Winter Festival\', Christmas to you, me and those in the REAL world.

God Helps them that Help Themselves but God Help them that gets Caught Helping Themselves

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
Quote from: "Nickolas"
As I posted in another topic......
The pics used to be on the old Forum.
From a post on PPRuNe , I got a link to the pics on the Iconic Forum : http://www.iconicaircraft.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66729#p65377

Offline Nickolas

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
Quote from: "Nickolas"
As I posted in another topic......
The pics used to be on the old Forum.
From a post on PPRuNe , I got a link to the pics on the Iconic Forum : http://www.iconicaircraft.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66729#p65377
Thanks for that.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
So.......now the "whys & wherefores" have been covered & the speculation as to what happened has been resolved , can anyone definitively answer the question that has been raised on pretty much every forum : once these 2 engines are changed , how many usable spare ones will be left ??

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
There's 1 spare engine left I believe once the two knackered ones are replaced.
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline XL189

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
I imagine the team are thinking something like "OK, it happened, nobody got hurt, no airframe damage, what can we put in place to ensure it doesn't happen again?"

Let's just hope for a speedy recovery!