Author Topic: Final Home revisited  (Read 43734 times)

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
Re: Final Home revisited
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »
Filton measures 6500 feet according to Google Earth.  Hurn was 6000 and required herself to get her knickers out.  Is the extra 500 feet enough to not require this?  I can't remember what the threshold is.....
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
Quote from: "speedy"
Filton measures 6500 feet according to Google Earth.  Hurn was 6000 and required herself to get her knickers out.  Is the extra 500 feet enough to not require this?  I can't remember what the threshold is.....

I believe it's anything under 7,000ft. However, I'm not sure if this is a blanket CAA requirement, or has some flexibility relating to fuel load.

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »
Wouldn't set much faith in measurements taken on Google Earth !

From Filton Airport's website { http://www.bristolfilton.co.uk/pilot_in ... runway.php } :
Runway   TORA               
09 :            2300m (7546ft)     
27 :            2300m (7546ft)  

Runway      LDA
09 :     2125m (6972ft)
27 :     2060m (6759ft)

TORA : Takeoff Runway length Available
LDA    : Runway Landing Distance Available
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline BensDad

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
I've heard a nasty rumour that she'll be moving to the currently empty hangar at Wittering.

That'd be about right seeing I'm about to get posted from literally just across the road from there (deferred to July now BTW)

Is there any truth in this?

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
Quote from: "BensDad"
I've heard a nasty rumour that she'll be moving to the currently empty hangar at Wittering.

That'd be about right seeing I'm about to get posted from literally just across the road from there (deferred to July now BTW)

Is there any truth in this?

Too far North - think of the extra miles to do to all her displays  ;)

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
="johnjosh43

Swings and roundabouts old son a mere 30-40miles from the Trust's Hinkley HQ ..... and the centre of the country :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
I noticed couple of people on key forums have mentioned Wittering as well.  Just a coincidence  :?:  :?:  :?:

Offline johnjosh43

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »
Quote from: "Zero One"
="johnjosh43

Swings and roundabouts old son a mere 30-40miles from the Trust's Hinkley HQ ..... and the centre of the country :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I replied to this the other day but it must have got lost. Agree re centre of country to an extent so ideal as a final home. But if shows are same this year as last she'll end up doing rather a lot of extra miles :-)

Offline higgins

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
Quote from: "Topsy"
I noticed couple of people on key forums have mentioned Wittering as well.  Just a coincidence  :?:  :?:  :?:

Apparently e-mails have been sent to some staff at Wittering stating 558 will be based there :?:
If edited will be due to spelting or grammer!

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
Will Wittering be open weekends then?

Offline higgins

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »
Quote from: "leslie"
Will Wittering be open weekends then?

Was only told this last night by someone who knows one of the people who received the info. Can't tell you anymore. I know the source is reliable but, having not seen the e-mail personally was slightly skeptical about it.

Also assume if right then it will be for the closed season.
If edited will be due to spelting or grammer!

Offline jangor

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
I have just read on Iconic, that for the last few weeks, its has been rumoured that Wittering is going to be 558`s new home :shock:

If that is the case, then I ( and possibly other club members)would like to know why Wittering ( and other destintaions)has never been mentioned here on these forums by someone from the trust  :(

The trust must realise that 558 IS NOT there property alone, she belongs to the public, and club membership is made up from that public.

So, maybe some one form the trust can come forward and spill the beans as to where her new base and final home will be :?:

It cant be that much of a secret if RAF station personnel are in the know............

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
Jangor this was mentioned on this very thread by Bens dad on the 7th go back a page!! You seemed to have jumped to the conclusion that this is to be her final home and I've not read that anywhere.

I have no idea if the rumours are true or not - but finding a home for 558 with a runway long enough is not an easy task and we all know Lyneham is closing and the Hercs are going into BZN, 558 has to go somewhere!

Offline Landyman

• Volunteer Group
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.pettaugh-history.org.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
Rumours, rumours and more rumours..............
Just like Doncaster, Bournemouth, Coventry and any number of others one can think of.  ;)
No doubt once everything is signed and sealed we, and the world in general, will be told.

I believe that the aircraft has to out of Lyneham before the end of March so it won't be long before an official statement is made.....I hope.  :)

Landyman.
I used to be retired then I found a Vulcan.
My travel blog - http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com (Now with added Vulcan for even better value)

Offline sickbag_andy

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superguppy.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
I would not expect he Trust to say anything until it is signed and sealed. we have these rumours every year - last year it was going to be finningley if all the stories were correct (I even heard that it was pretty certain from a reliable sourse) but then something changed late in the day, there were rumours about coventry last autumn but that came to notthing.
All these may be correct if interpretted as ' negotiations are taking place or at an advanced stage' but until the sotted line is signed it would be very foolish of the Trust to announce it because
a: it might blow the deal and
b: if it failed for some last minute reason then they would look less than professional
and  of course as soon as a deal failed we would see the avalanche of posts saying ' why did you say she was being based at (for example) the Isle of Barra airport' when you hadn't closed the deal?

Deals are often (I could almost say normally) kept confidential until they are done for all sorts of reasons and just because somebody says they have reliable information I don't see that as a reason for the Trust to throw fuel on th speculation fire.

558 is not solely owned by the trust as you say Gordon but they have to act in her very best interests and keep quiet until they have accurate information to dispense unlike those who do not have the same responsibilities to protect. I fully support them in saying nothing at this stage - ALL I WANT IS TO SEE HER FLY IN 2011
confacimus volatemum

the proud owner of the only Martin Withers signed sickbag of 558 flight vintage IN THE WORLD!