Author Topic: { probably } a silly question re. engines......  (Read 4095 times)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
{ probably } a silly question re. engines......
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
Bored stiff in work the other night , so had a nose through one of the 'techie mags' lying around.
In it was an advertisment for a company { in the Isle Of Wight , I think } that refurbishes various engines used in power stations.
One of the engines they listed as being licenced by RR to work on/ refurbish was the Olympus.
I did a "google" & it says that the unit used in power stations is basically a 201 engine { from which the 202 was developed }
Now I know the question of marinised Olympus engines has been raised before , but does anyone know the difference between the 'gennie' engines & the aircraft engines ??
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: { probably } a silly question re. engines......
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
Bored stiff in work the other night , so had a nose through one of the 'techie mags' lying around.
In it was an advertisment for a company { in the Isle Of Wight , I think } that refurbishes various engines used in power stations.
One of the engines they listed as being licenced by RR to work on/ refurbish was the Olympus.
I did a "google" & it says that the unit used in power stations is basically a 201 engine { from which the 202 was developed }
Now I know the question of marinised Olympus engines has been raised before , but does anyone know the difference between the 'gennie' engines & the aircraft engines ??

The marine Olympus is a far heavier beast the only bit common to the two engines, I believe is the rota... blades, casings  etc are made of steel, I think and weigh considerably more than aviation "ally" blades
Sure Sam will come in with a more techy explanation... ;)
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
Denis ;
To clarify......I wasn't wondering about the marinised Olympus engines --- I was wondering about the "industrialised" ones used in power stations.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"
Denis ;
To clarify......I wasn't wondering about the marinised Olympus engines --- I was wondering about the "industrialised" ones used in power stations.

Built to same spec as marinised ones.... steel is cheaper
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper