Author Topic: Another engine question!  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
Another engine question!
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
Something which has occured to me whilst reading all the various threads on engine life........

Without being at all negative, there will come a point when there are only four usable engines - namely the ones which are flying in 558 at that time.  Even without any technical or other problems, some of the engines will have no flying time left, so the ones being used in 558 will be the only ones left.

Once that is the case, will that limit 558's ability to land away from base?  Assuming she landed (say at Farnborough) and had an irreparable problem with an engine, would she effectively be stranded for good at Farnborough?  I assume she would not be allowed to take off on three engines under any circumstances (even for a final ferry flight), and therefore would be stuck wherever she had landed.

As I said, I'm not intending to be negative - just realistic.  With the best will and engineering team in the world (both of which we have!  ;)  ), the day will come when there are only the four flyable engines left.  Once that is the case, I wonder if she will never land anywhere away from base (except in an emergency).
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Another engine question!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:03:55 PM »
This would be down to the CAA :
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1413&pagetype=90&pageid=8368
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1413&pagetype=90&pageid=8105

In theory there's nothing to stop them landing elsewhere , but if an engine problem then arose I think it would then be down to the CAA to authorise a Transit Flight.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Wizzy

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Thanks for the links wcg - very interesting.

I appreciate that if they had to land somewhere, they would.  The thing I was wondering about was whether the Trust would change the operating procedure, and no longer plan to land away from base - making all displays purely an arrival, display, then return to Finningley (or wherever).  I know nobody on here is likely to be able to answer the question, it's just one of those things you ponder!  ;)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe
  Albert Einstein

Offline Topsy

• Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:24 PM »
One would hope they will always continue to land at airshows where they can. The take-off is always a high point and not everyone can get to Doncaster for a tour to get close up to the Vulcan.

It always makes a good addition to the static lineup too.