Author Topic: Structural modifications  (Read 32006 times)

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Structural modifications
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
Well said Kevin, my sentiments entirely!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory

Offline ian livingstone

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
Agreed  :D

Offline Sarah Favell

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
As much as my heart would like to see her flying for many more years to come, I won't be supporting any further modification of her. I know that the crew would never take her up without being secure in the knowledge that all i's have been dotted and t's crossed but the one thing that concerns me is safety. That's real lives that take her skyward each flight and no amount of love for an aircraft can be greater than the respect and high esteem I hold our aircrew in. Therefore I hope she has one safe,final flying season and is well looked after in her retirement (wherever that may be).

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
I don't think there would be any risk in using the airframe once modified.  The safe life calculations used to work out the modifications required erred so far on the side of caution that it seems utterly wasteful.  According to the official docs, if a component was judged to be in need of attention after a certain period of time or number of cycles, the 'safe' period was deemed to be one third of that.  So it's like having your car given annual service, but having it done again after four months just to be sure.  A few years ago, a combination of the VTTS ground crew, Marshall techs and various other engineering sources did a major structural mod to the wings that had only ever been carried out on the fatigue specimen, and I'm pretty sure that they had to actually produce the necessary drawings because the ones used to do the work on the test airframe were not available.  I think for this next mod, no drawings were ever produced, but the basic specification was.  In addition, the previous mod cost several times the projected cost of the next one, and funds won't be the limiting factor, or at least shouldn't be.

I have complete confidence that should solutions to the other issues that would hamper or prevent flying beyond 2013 be found, that the mod would be done with the usual professionalism to be expected from the team, and that there would be no issues arising.  They simply wouldn't attempt it otherwise.
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Sarah Favell

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
I quite agree with your comment Speedy. I don't doubt all would be correct. It's just a personal thing.  :)

Online jocelyn

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »
Spot on, Speedy !
As far as I am concerned, whatever it takes to keep 558 in the air simply MUST be done. As you point out, safety etc is well taken care of, funding eventually comes up, and the only way to get the latter is by having 558 in the air. Along with many others, I have little interest in a grounded Vulcan.
At the end of the day, unles I am very mistaken the words used were "2013 MAY be the last flying season"... So I suggest that we start thinking positively and do everything possible to collect the necessary funding to make sure that future seasons can happen if the necessary modifications, etc, can be done !
KEEP 558 FLYING !!!

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
Quote from: "speedy"

I have complete confidence that should solutions to the other issues that would hamper or prevent flying beyond 2013 be found, that the mod would be done with the usual professionalism to be expected from the team, and that there would be no issues arising.  They simply wouldn't attempt it otherwise.

Those are key sentences for me as if that kind of money is to be spent from donations made by people already stretched to limits money wise, it is crucial all other issues are solved.

Offline mackrick

• Vulcan Engineer
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • Vulcan To The Sky
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »
The news letter yesterday clarified the position on 558 :D

Duc, sequere, aut de via decede

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »
Indeed it does.......surprised nobody here's picked up on that yet. :D

I'm also surprised that UKARse haven't noticed it { although they currently seem to busy being totally anal about spelling & punctuation !!  :lol:  } and reached the skewed conclusion that "The Trust lied to us !!"  ;)  :P

Edited to say.....
Spoke to soon { sort-of }.......Fighter Control have picked up on it { http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=68416 } and already there are accusations of skulduggery { even though , as the poster on there admits : "This might have been what they've been saying all along, I don't pay that much attention to their emails" ( YES !! They have always said that '2013 might not be the last year' !! What's the point of subscribing to the Newsletters if you don't @*%#-ing well read them !!! ) :roll:  }
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline Sarah Abbott

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »
I am a bit confused as all I read is that Trust are still working hard exploring all the possible avenues that might be available with the necessary bodies but no solution as yet? Which was always stated as the path they were working to. However my phone has since eaten the newsletter so can't read it again.............

What have I missed?

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
Sarah { and anyone else who missed it } ;
The Newsletter is available on-line here : http://mxm.mxmfb.com/rsps/wlnk/c/1216/r/4542/e/445
Relevant part is :
Many of you will have noted how the press and other media are portraying 2013 as the last display season for XH558.

This is a distortion of what we announced in 2012 - we actually said that we are planning for 2013 to be the last season, because we still don't have any certainty that we can continue flying after this year, and it is only prudent to plan for the possibility we have to stop.

However, with the unanimous agreement of the Board of Trustees, I want to let you all know that it is the absolute determination of the Trust to keep XH558 flying for as long as possible, subject to safety and available finances. The research into the technical requirements to fly on for 2014 is continuing.

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »
Quote from: "Sarah Abbott"
I am a bit confused as all I read is that Trust are still working hard exploring all the possible avenues that might be available with the necessary bodies but no solution as yet? Which was always stated as the path they were working to. However my phone has since eaten the newsletter so can't read it again.............

What have I missed?

I've heard of dogs eating homework etc but phones eating newsletters? That's a new one!
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline Jumbo Girl

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
Quote from: "wcg"

I'm also surprised that UKARse haven't noticed it { although they currently seem to busy being totally anal about spelling & punctuation !!

Ooh. Do they have any vacancies for a pedant?  :D
Jumbo Girl

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »
Sorry , they've got enough of them as it is.
They've also got one on there who deliberately changes quotes from posts made on other Fora to misrepresent what was said !!  :o

Offline dee

• Global Moderator
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
Love the info about extending 558's flying life,, fingers and everything crossed :)  :)
That huge triangle against the sky like some monstrous angel trailing dark clouds of glory