Author Topic: Test Flight report & expected flying life  (Read 31667 times)

Offline Paul C

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Test Flight report & expected flying life
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
Hi all, I don't know if anyone might be able to answer my question but having read the test flight report that has been posted in the News section (which was very interesting) one paragraph stood out a bit:

"There remain, however, on-going issues with the both the engines and airframe which will need careful management by both the VTTS Trust and MA in order to preserve the aircraft and satisfy the future engine and airframe continued airworthiness requirements.  These are known and monitored by CAA and part of the maintenance directive managed at a maintenance level with design input from CAA DLS."

I was curious to know what these issues were and if they were linked with the recent info that XH558's flying life has now been estimated at around 4 years?

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Vulcan - Filling the sky with sound since 1952...

Offline Panel 10

• Regular User
    • View Profile
Re: Test Flight report & expected flying life
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »
The initial vision in 2007 after first flight was to fly her a further 5 years before final retirement.  So far we have had 2008, 2009, we are in 2010 and we hope to fly for 4 more years.  That's 6 possibly 7 years in all.  That's just amazing from the original vision.

One of the on going issues is with an engine that was changed because of signs of early erosion in, I think 2008.  The removed engine is with RR and we still await the outcome as to whether it can be used again.  

The airframe issue beyond the main spar mods that were incorporated during the winter service, I do not know. :)
-----o00o----˚(_)˚----o00o-----

Ooooo ello

[size=150]Wot![/size] no spam

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:42:37 AM »
Quote from: "Paul C"
Hi all, I don't know if anyone might be able to answer my question but having read the test flight report that has been posted in the News section (which was very interesting) one paragraph stood out a bit:

"There remain, however, on-going issues with the both the engines and airframe which will need careful management by both the VTTS Trust and MA in order to preserve the aircraft and satisfy the future engine and airframe continued airworthiness requirements.  These are known and monitored by CAA and part of the maintenance directive managed at a maintenance level with design input from CAA DLS."

I was curious to know what these issues were and if they were linked with the recent info that XH558's flying life has now been estimated at around 4 years?

Thanks in advance  :)

When was this report put out Paul? I must have missed it and would like to read it if possible  8-)

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:04:29 AM »
It was out yesterday Smudger

Here

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:29:27 AM »
Quote from: "Mayfly"
It was out yesterday Smudger

Here

Thanks Mayfly  :D  :D Found it today when I logged on, it must have been the 7 hours ahead that did it (my excuse) :oops:  :oops:

Good report as well. with Marshells & our engineers doing a sterling job I think. ;)  ;)

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline HowSlo

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:56:22 PM »
I did ask this on the old forum, but didn't get an answer: On the test flight, does the CAA pilot take the controls at any point during the flight, or do they purely observe?

Offline Mayfly

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
As a test pilot Paul Mulchay is perfectly entitled to fly 558 on the air tests - whether he does or not is down to whatever is agreed in the briefing. As a pilot I'm sure he would love to have a 'clutch' if only to get a feel for the A/C. [I can't imagine any pilot turning down the opportunity.]

I can't remember which post restoration test flight it was - the second I think. MAs test pilot purely observed from the back, while DT & Martin flew her, but on the next TF he was up front with DT.

Offline freedom2006

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 01:24:27 PM »
From memory, wasn't it thought that her flying life would be about 10 years, mostly down to engine life. This is what was being said, I think, pre 2007.

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
I was always under that impression, the 4-5 years came as a bit of a surprise.
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »
The 10 year display lifetime is what I thought as well.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
I was under the same impression as freedom2006..... namely that it was a planned 10 year flying life , depending on engine life.
Does the "revised engine cycle exchange rate algorithm" mentioned in one of the newsletters have any bearing on the revised-down flying life ?
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline RHP

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
IIRC the estimated flying life was based on both engines and airframe FI. It appears that FIs are being used up more quickly than anticipated, primarily due to having to fly low level in transit due to being cleared for VFR only - ie the crew need to see where they are going and therefore are below the clouds where there is more buffeting form the air. If she could transit at higher level under IFR regulations, then FI usage would be reduced. I know there were tentative plans to gain IFR status but perhaps these have been abandoned(?). Current plans are for the airframe FIs and engines to run out of hours at the same time, therefore getting the most from the aircraft without having any finite resource still available when one of the other life limiting factors bring her back to earth for good. I believe the reduced disolays and flying hours this year are all part of the overall plan to manage these fininte resources.

These are just my recollections from forum input - I'm no expert  :)

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
Don't suppose the fact that they're still down one engine helps , either.
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »
I thought the mods carried out over winter sorted or went a long way to sorting the fatigue issue.
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline RHP

• Club Member
  • Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
I believe the winter mods did extend the number of FIs available, but only but a limited amount allowing the possibility of airframe and engine life to expire together.