Author Topic: Test Flight report & expected flying life  (Read 34732 times)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Test Flight report & expected flying life
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
Quote from: "Smudger565"
Talk of displays for the RAF & for Marham

My five penny worth view is it is well desevered even more so with Marham being told in not so many words that closure of the base and Tonka's being phased out must be very depressing for the people who serve and work on the base, so our lady to do a stunning display to cheer them up is worth every penny.

PS

Plus, as the news about Marham and the Tornados is still fresh there's a chance of us getting some publicity on the local news.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »
Quote from: "vulcanlover"
Talk of displays for the RAF & for Marham

My five penny worth view is it is well desevered even more so with Marham being told in not so many words that closure of the base and Tonka's being phased out must be very depressing for the people who serve and work on the base, so our lady to do a stunning display to cheer them up is worth every penny.

PS

Plus, as the news about Marham and the Tornados is still fresh there's a chance of us getting some publicity on the local news.
Sentiment I'm afraid though very laudable will not keep 558 flying,small private events no matter how deserving will only generate a few hundred spectators (apart from those rubber necking from the other side of the security fence),how canthe consumption of valuable airframe and engine hours be justified when the Trust should be reaching out to the bigger audience and dare I say it,it's own Club Members?
Defence Reviews have been going on for years ,we have lost many iconic aircraft types and historic bases and more will follow,our efforts should be to preserve 558 for as long as possible and expose her to the largest possible  audience that we can.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
I was under the impression that the RAF had been very helpful over the last few years, especially agreeing to have 558 hangared at Lyneham for her winter servicing (OK, it still cost a lot of money, but they didn't have to agree to take her).  A few private shows may well be less efficient in reaching people, but without the help of some of the people who will be at these shows, there probably wouldn't be a flying vulcan this year.  Or if there was, there'd probably be a lot less money in the pot.  I certainly wouldn't begrudge them a show, if they are paying customers or not.
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline leslie

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »
especially when the members will probably have to pay for a members day (if we get one that is) and we have probably put more money in the pot than anyone else.

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »
Far from it!
In the discussions we have had this season, if you are a Member, you will get in for free as a "thank-you."
We just need to find the right venue, which satisfies safe operations, puts XH558 on the ground for tours and ticks all the CAA legalities.

I can assure you, it is certainly not for the lack of trying by both Club and Trust!

Ian.

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
I'd still be happy to make a small contribution.  After all, there's no point in having a 'thankyou' if it ends up eating into the budget for keeping 558 flying...!
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »
To save this topic turning into another debate about whether or not we get a Members Day , there's already a discussion topic for it on another part of the forum :  viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96&start=0
 ;)  :mrgreen:
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
Quote from: "wcg"
To save this topic turning into another debate about whether or not we get a Members Day , there's already a discussion topic for it on another part of the forum :  viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96&start=0

Yes I agree, but this thread was running 1st I think that is why more are writting to this thread ;)  ;)  It usually happens and you just go back wards and forwards  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:

I would put my hand in my packet again to have a day to ourselves, but not everyone has the money which I understand as well. So if we had a day nominated if you are member you can enter for free, if you want to donate to help the funds then you can do that for your own peace of mind :)  :)  :|

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline code monkey

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »

I would put my hand in my packet again to have a day to ourselves, but not everyone has the money which I understand as well. So if we had a day nominated if you are member you can enter for free, if you want to donate to help the funds then you can do that for your own peace of mind :)  :)  :|

PS

Spot on Smudge!

.............and if the VV was there too i'm sure i'd find a few more vulcan-shaped goodies that i "needed"!!  ;)
Keep on rocking in the free world!

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 08:52:17 PM »
Quote from: "wcg"

Yes I agree, but this thread was running 1st I think that is why more are writting to this thread ;)  ;)  It usually happens and you just go back wards and forwards  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:
Hmmmm ....let me see......To be pedantic .....
The other topic { "Private Showing" }  was started on 01 Aug 2010 at 14:18 hrs. , whereas the first posting to even mention anything about the fabled "Members Day" in this topic was on 06 Aug 2010 at 08:54 hrs.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  ;)
And when all's said and done , the title of this topic is "Test Flight report & expected flying life". :P

To be honest , I couldn't care whether we have a dedicated "Members Day" or not --- can't say it's one of the reasons for me joining the Club . making donations or continuing my membership .  :o

Incidentally { and to get back on topic }  ;
The FAQ section still says the following :
"Why are XH558's flying hours limited to 40-50 per year?

We are hoping to operate XH558 for an envisaged 10 year display period. Our Olympus engines are limited to 1200 cycles each by their Design Authority, Rolls-Royce. Cycles are a measure of engine fatigue life - one cycle is counted each time the engine goes from idle to 100% and back again. Smaller changes of RPM add to the cycles consumed. We are monitoring the engine cycle consumption by recording engine RPM.

We are trying to conserve the cycles used in a year by carefully limiting the number of flying hours, and by adopting flying techniques which reduce the cycle consumption. At the moment we are experiencing an exchange rate on average of about 6 cycles per flying hour, which translates into an actual engine life of 1200/6 = 200 flying hours. We have two sets of four engines giving us about 400 hours in total. Over ten years that comes out to about 40 hours flying per year. "

I guess this may need to be ammended now !  ;)
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol

Offline Mags

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
We're into the third year already though.

Offline Smudger565

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 12:07:36 AM »
[/quote]
Hmmmm ....let me see......To be pedantic .....
The other topic { "Private Showing" }  was started on 01 Aug 2010 at 14:18 hrs. , whereas the first posting to even mention anything about the fabled "Members Day" in this topic was on 06 Aug 2010 at 08:54 hrs.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  ;)
And when all's said and done , the title of this topic is "Test Flight report & expected flying life". :P

/

:oops:  :oops:  :oops: See what you mean "wcg" slightly off topic isn't it :oops:  :oops: I never looked at the title just picked up the thread and peoples commentsoh well "Backwards & Forwards"  ;)  ;)  ;)  :lol:

PS

You never stop learning what you think you know!!!!
Retired Global Mariner

Offline StAthan lecky

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
In terms of average flying hours,what has the wing mod given us ?I realise that Fatigue Index is the "Buzz Word" however many none technical members would probably be interested in a ball park answer to this question.If the answer has been posted elsewhere then I apologise.

Mike
1000+ Posts and not a Newbie

Freddie Mercury and Queen Will Live Forever

Another "Kind Of Magic"

Offline za150

• Regular User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »
The problem is 1 FI could equal 1 flying hour or 10 flying hours. the 'flying hour' is a fixed 'vaule'. FI depends on lots of factors/varibles ie weather, how the aircraft is flown, how heavy she is, at what altitude she is flown at etc. So for one flying hour used the FI used is not fixed. Hence i dont think it would be easy or accurate to give a ball park figure.

I hope this makes sense?!
Worker on the Hercs, Lover of the Tens

Offline scampton61

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.underthefloor.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
I came across some details on fatigue in an old article about the Vulcan Display Team recently. If I recall correctly, XH558 entered her final display year (1992) with an FI of 10, and average use over a year was 7 units. As za150 says, a unit of FI could give a hugely variable amount of flying time, depending on conditions etc. With the advantage of hindsight it could be argued one or two sorties should have been aborted last year as just one flight thru particularly turbulent weather (again if I recall correctly) used a massive 1.5 FI. This is a key disadvantage of the visual flight rules 558 now operates under, which often prevents flying at higher (less turbulent) altitudes.