Author Topic: Red Tails  (Read 4933 times)

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
Red Tails
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
After hearing mixed reviews about this film, I thought I'd watch it and make up my own mind.

I have to say, I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The film is based on true events during WWII when an all-black Squadron of US Pilots, fought towards a "Double Victory" against Facism in Europe and Racism back home.

Without giving too much of the story away, it shows how they went from being a unit based hundreds of miles away from any serious action flying "hand-me-down" aircraft to their eventual acceptance as equals as they accompany bombers on major sorties.

George Lucas has described this film as "20 years in the making" and that he couldn't make it before as the technology wasn't available. As you may expect there is a great deal of special effects, but at no point do they overshadow the story. The film begins with an impressive display of CGI graphics as a wave of B-17s get picked off in great numbers by the ME-109s.

As far as WWII movies go, this is nowhere near the best, but it's far from being the worst. As it's so CGI-based, it would be unfair to compare it to any live-action film, however, if Peter Jackson finally gets his act together regarding his remake of The Dambusters, then he could learn a lot from this film.

I rented the Blu-Ray of this from Lovefilm, and there's an added bonus of a lengthy documentary about those that inspired the film called Double Victory.

All in all, if you can rent this, you could do a lot worse than give up a couple of hours to watch this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline Pujgnie

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
Re: Red Tails
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
I watched 'Red Tails' a few weeks ago and quite enjoyed it. The CGI is sometimes a bit OTT imo - but hey ho.

Personally - I would like to see a re-make of 'The Battle Of Britain' with todays technology. The original is great film... but the models used are sooo blatantly obvious by todays standards  :lol:
Sail on silver girl, sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way -  see how they shine...

Offline vulcanlover

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »
Yeah!

That would be good!

At least Duxford wouldn't have to lose a hangar if they remade it!

As for the CGI in Red Tails, I didn't think it was too OTT. As George Lucas states in one of the bonus features, he was able to do dogfight scenes from all angles.

I especially thought the scenes with the ME-262s were spectacular.

The problem with any modern film is people are going to compare them to the classics and they'll get dismissed as 'pure CGI'.

David Puttnam was given similar grief with Memphis Belle.
BEER O'CLOCK GENTLEMEN

Offline wcg

• Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
Watched it a few weeks ago on DVD.
To my mind  , it fitted into the category of a "popcorn movie"........in other words , remove brain before watching and don't take it seriously.
Having said that , I still couldn't help but compare it to the far superior earlier HBO movie of the same name.
Sorry , but Lucas seemed to be trying to make another movie which includes an example of every cliche that he can think of......
"Heroic goodies" ?? Check !! ; "Evil baddie" ?? Check !! ; "Drunken commander" ?? Check !! ; "Insubordinate JO" ?? Check !! ; "love interest" ?? Check !! ;
"Comic relief character(s)" ?? Check !! ; "Insubordinate JO saves CO" ?? Check !! "Dead guy isn't dead" ?? Check !! ......etc , etc !!

As for the CGI in Red Tails, I didn't think it was too OTT.
You mean , other than the P-51 fitted with vectored-thrust !!  :lol:
OK , the CGI sequences weren't quite as bad as those in "The Red Baron" , but they were still pretty silly for much of the time.
If you want to see CGI aircraft done properly , try watching the little-known 2011 film "Fortress" , a low-budget { think it was only about $250k !! } movie based on the real life exploits of a B-17 crew operating out of North Africa.  Maybe the next time some big film-maker wants to make an aviation movie they should get those guys to do the CGI for them !!
Oh , and one biggie "Fortress" got right compared to most other aviation movies ....... oxygen masks !!  :o
Not only do the 'crew' actually wear them { unlike in "Red Tails" } , but they also sound like they're wearing them !!
Clive..{ South Wales }{ +868 posts on old Forum }
Now an ex-Club Member & no longer contributing to VTST / XH558
UKAR's trollpikken fforwm swyddogol