Author Topic: Servicing for XH558  (Read 15634 times)

Offline speedy

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.airshowphotographs.co.uk
Re: Servicing for XH558
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
I think the thing people can't get their heads round is that what is required for a winter service is known well in advance.  If we'd been pushing the CLRs when the aircraft was flying, saying it was going to cost £800K for winter, then I reckon there'd have been more money come in over the summer.  It's very true to say that the shortfall for winter won't been known until summer has been and gone - but there's ALWAYS going to be a need for money, and if for some reason a surplus was made during the summer due to a big fat response to, say, a summer CLR scheme, then surely there'd be less of a crisis come the winter?  All I was was able to tell people for four days solid at Bournemouth was that I was sure the winter service would cost a lot, that it costs £2M a year to keep the girl running, and that I was sure we'd need, and be very grateful for every penny that they could spend/donate.  That's not exactly the most robust manner to extract from people's wallets (having said that, I reckon  I must have sold a couple of grand in diecasts, inflatables and other assorted goodies, so gawd knows how much eveyone else on that part of the stand managed!).  If I'd been able to say the winter service was going to cost £800K, maybe there'd have been a bigger response at the time?  Right now, the feedback from most posters on social media is exactly what I said that I feared would happen on another thread recently that I inadvertently upset Ian about.  People everywhere are saying "Yeah, yeah, whatever, we hear this every year and it carries on regardless", which probably explains the usual slow take-up on the appeal.

"There is also the human nature aspect (bourne out by media appetite for bad news strories) that there is no crisis - till you call the crisis and as a result, people step up to the plate.
If those same numbers did so during the display season, the call would be far less. It's not for the want of trying."

Ian - what people are trying to say is that no-one really called crisis during the summer when literally millions of people could see her flying and be inspired to donate in the same manner that is now being hoped will happen!  Joe Public sees a £20K an hour aircraft flying and assumes all is well unless they can be told the kitty is empty and in effect needs another £1000K before the end of the year.

Anyway, yes I moan, and I criticise, but I try (and probably fail) to not do it in an unfair or personal manner, and I try to be one of those to do said stepping up.  So last night I bought a number of CLRs.  Who's next?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
“If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls.” — R. J. Mitchell

Government.  If you think the problems they create are bad, you should see their solutions.

Offline Gregg

• Volunteer Group
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
Not me I'm afraid.
Hold a chicken in the air stick a deck chair up your nose, buy a jumbo jet and then bury all your clothes..........\":D\"

Offline PhillyJ

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
Got 3xBrake CLR's this morning, fortunately in a position to be able to do this as have only 1 year left on my measly mortgage.

Offline PA28

• Administrator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
We have had 'A Salute to Her Majesty', 60th Anniversary Plaque and 60th Flight Certificates running all season, (Lottery/ Club Memberships/ Merchandise at Club Stands / Vulcan Villages etc.. etc...) so it's not as though we have not been appealing for funds. Just because it is not service related, does not mean we have taken the foot off the gas...  I'm thinking of Seans excellent script over the many tannoy announcements too!

There are regular postal mailings and e-newsletters, Facebook and Twitter postings / massive media exposure....  over 50,000 in regular contact - think back a few years.

We are reaching far more people now than ever, but it is a constant battle to find those with spare money and the desire for the obvious reasons of household budgets. Explains why we had several hundred Flight Certs left at only £20 each in September. (The entry price for service shares).

We will now list these again soon - ideal for Christmas pressies.

Offline Gully

• Global Moderator
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 06:46:24 PM »
Problem with selling service stuff during the summer is that people buy those packs then as opposed to the other items available, which affects the cash flow for the summer period...

Better to sell general merchandise over the summer period to ensure cash doesn't run out during the flying season and then release service packs later IMO. Thereby avoiding the need for ring fencing precious funds!

Gully
Vulcan To The Sky Club Secretary

Offline ian livingstone

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 07:16:50 AM »
I've bought 4 Brake CLR's .  I'd love to see her fly again in 2013 and it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings!!

Offline Zero One

• Club Member
  • Expert User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
Quote from: "ian livingstone"
I've bought 4 Brake CLR's .  I'd love to see her fly again in 2013 and it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings!!

don't you call her a fat lady.... anyway it's great when she sings(Howls) :twisted:  :lol:
Buccaneer XX900 Crew Chief and Brunty Bears keeper

Offline minty4371

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
I give a small amount per month as a Standing Order.
Sorry for not giving more as I cannot afford to :(  :(.
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Club Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Club Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust
Real Name is Robert Bester

Offline eagle770

• Club Member
  • Serious User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
Got 2 Brake CLRs and 2 Oxygen CLRs just to keep topped up
Consulting : If you are not part of the solution, there's good money to be made prolonging the problem!

Offline zarbi31

• Club Member
  • phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »
My wife and I are avid supporters as is my 5yr old grandson. We make regular donations and put in a bit extra when we can. I'll be getting a couple of shares as well. I want to get my grandson's name in the bomb bay so that he can go and visit her in the future and remember the fun we all had watching her fly. Rather a nice legacy I think!